• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TEST FILES. How to verify the quality of your audio system and other audio tests.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Book Review - Neil Young's To Feel The Music: A Songwriter's Mission to Save High-Quality Audio

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...ters-mission-to-save-high-quality-audio-r834/

I agree with:

Neil-Young-Phil-Baker-To-Feel-The-Music-dynamic-range.png

Neil Young about Steve Jobs MP3 and High Res:

Neil-Young-Phil-Baker-To-Feel-The-Music-Steve-Jobs-MP3.png

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Book Review - Neil Young's To Feel The Music: A Songwriter's Mission to Save High-Quality Audio

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...ters-mission-to-save-high-quality-audio-r834/

I agree with:

View attachment 33546

Neil Young about Steve Jobs MP3 and High Res:

View attachment 33543

Looks like Neil Young has a lack of fundamental understanding regarding sampling theory, and it looks like Steve Jobs wasn't easily sidetracked with nonsense.
He also had a different budget than most of his customers.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
The HD-Audio Challenge II by Mark Waldrep
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6713

[ I’ve selected 20 tracks from a variety of genres and took into consideration suggestions from many of you. I’ve included solos, small and large ensembles, acoustic and electric, and vocal vs. instrumental...

These are full length tracks not merely samples.

I spent all weekend converting the tracks using Sonic Studio’s professional software tool PROCESS to do the conversions. I took the native 96 kHz/24-bit PCM masters and downconverted them to 96 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bits, and 44.1 kHz/16-bits (CD “Redbook” spec). I will also create constant bitrate MP3 versions at 320 and 256 kbps for those interested in compressed formats. Then I converted all of downconversions back to 96 kHz/24-bits so that all of them are precisely the same size. I have been very careful to ensure that they are the same volume.

I have uploaded all of the files to a folder in my premium Dropbox account and will “Share” the contents with those interested in participating in the study. The files are randomly named and should provide a rich opportunity for those willing to download them and do some serious listening. The goal is to discover if bona fide high-resolution audio recordings can be distinguished from lower resolution formats... ]

[ I will be doing a thorough analysis of each file and providing the spectra and dynamic analysis to participants. I’ve already done that for a test file by The Latin Jazz Trio. Here’s the spectra of all of the formats: ]

Memories-of-Rio-Spectra-ALL.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[ I’ve selected 20 tracks from a variety of genres and took into consideration suggestions from many of you. I’ve included solos, small and large ensembles, acoustic and electric, and vocal vs. instrumental...

It would have been clearer if you had just linked to the blog page (with a suitable explanation) instead of cutting and pasting directly into your posting (making it unclear who the "I" in the text was).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I spent all weekend converting the tracks using Sonic Studio’s professional software tool PROCESS to do the conversions. I took the native 96 kHz/24-bit PCM masters and downconverted them to 96 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bits, and 44.1 kHz/16-bits (CD “Redbook” spec). I will also create constant bitrate MP3 versions at 320 and 256 kbps for those interested in compressed formats. Then I converted all of downconversions back to 96 kHz/24-bits so that all of them are precisely the same size. I have been very careful to ensure that they are the same volume.

I have uploaded all of the files to a folder in my premium Dropbox account and will “Share” the contents with those interested in participating in the study. The files are randomly named and should provide a rich opportunity for those willing to download them and do some serious listening. The goal is to discover if bona fide high-resolution audio recordings can be distinguished from lower resolution formats... ]

[ I will be doing a thorough analysis of each file and providing the spectra and dynamic analysis to participants. I’ve already done that for a test file by The Latin Jazz Trio. Here’s the spectra of all of the formats: ]

View attachment 37253
I started a thread about it earlier.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mark-waldreps-hd-audio-challenge-ii.9611/

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

View attachment 37253

What are the two checkboxes for below the message window on the page where you sign up? I signed up...looking forward to participating. That's a lot of work!

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Never liked converting non multiple sampling rates, 96k to 48k is so easy, I could write the code, it cant be screwed up, take every second sample. 96k to 44.1k not straight forward at all and different converters may sound different.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's why there are sites like this

One can assume Mark W knows how to convert samplerates and to MP3 as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom