• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TEST FILES. How to verify the quality of your audio system and other audio tests.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi maty,
I've been on holiday far from home with only a pair of IEM for 3 weeks. When I get back home I will try your files.
For me mp3 320 is as good as FLAC if well encoded.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Ten days have passed and no one has commented on whether or not he has been able to differentiate those three amplifiers. And only one, daftcombo, has promised to do so.

To be a forum where there is so much comment about measurements, objectivity ... it is disappointing.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
what exactly is it that you are wanting to prove? That the three amps sound different? Where has anyone stated that amplifiers can't be made to sound different? The question is, why would 3 amps sound different if they are all doing the same thing - that being taking an input signal, amplifying it and then outputting it without coloring it in some way? Obviously, an amp can be made to sound different by altering the source material in some way (assuming we are comparing volume matched signals of course). But personally, I'd much prefer to have an un-altered amplified signal which I can then EQ in whatever way I choose rather than an amplified signal that has some sort of blanket EQ of its own applied...

Tool

Before you try to test your equip try to be sure what recordings you use to test it! And I mean DR recordings! I'm new on the forum and not much active but it got me. Years ago i heard about Hd sound and was very in to it.. What it sounds and experience but its all coming down to the way it's recorded. The resolution of music i does mater but if its compressed the way it's today there is no point to judge sound of equipment.
I'm using :
headphones
HD800
IE800
Fiio FH5 ballanced cable
and Dacs:
Asus Xonar Essence One, with opams changed
Ibasso Dx80 and
Fiio 7 MK2
It's not about showing off but I'm using all of this equip to dig in to music. and IT Does Really matter

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Maty,
I downloaded the files. It's 4 clips, each recorded 14 times with 14 differents amps.
What are we supposed to do now?

Tool

Look What I've downloaded recently...:( sounds awful looks awful If your file you using to test look like this (And sound UGH!) you will not be able to judge anything.....

Attachments

• Bon Jovi 2015 11 take back the night.JPG
    Bon Jovi 2015 11 take back the night.JPG
    542.2 KB · Views: 109

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ten days have passed and no one has commented on whether or not he has been able to differentiate those three amplifiers. And only one, daftcombo, has promised to do so.

To be a forum where there is so much comment about measurements, objectivity ... it is disappointing.
I've said already, I downloaded them, found they were MP3 and stopped right there. If you want to do something like comparing amps you should have used a lossless format. Even if I could hear differences, I didn't care to use my time knowing it was MP3.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Idea: If you are unable to differentiate between those three DIY amplifiers, you have a problem.

I already noticed the low sound quality which surely makes the test more difficult but the difference is evident.

What is the point of proposing tests to verify the quality of the equipment in certain fields if the previous one, so easy, is not exceeded?

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Hi Maty,
I downloaded the files. It's 4 clips, each recorded 14 times with 14 differents amps.
What are we supposed to do now?

You just have to check if differences between the three amplifiers, in each of the three clips used. Not which one you like best, only if you are capable. Specifying if you use speakers or headphones (easier the test).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Idea: If you are unable to differentiate between those three DIY amplifiers, you have a problem.

I already noticed the low sound quality which surely makes the test more difficult but the difference is evident.

What is the point of proposing tests to verify the quality of the equipment in certain fields if the previous one, so easy, is not exceeded?
Okay, I have more than one problem. So I don't waste time comparing amps with MP3. It is okay if you want to do so. I just don't.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
With the problem, I mean those who seek a neutral system and try, as far as possible, to be faithful to the sound of the recording, which is what should be common in these forums.

If the system is very euphonic then it will not matter not to be able to differentiate because its owner has other things in mind.

Many say they are unable to differentiate between MP3 and FLAC. Despite the low sound quality, the MP3 is encoded at maximum quality. Presumably the same test with better sound quality and format (FLAC 24/96) would be even easier!

The good thing about this test is that the audios were not created by me. They are available in the diyaudio.com thread but are scattered.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With the problem, I mean those who seek a neutral system and try, as far as possible, to be faithful to the sound of the recording, which is what should be common in these forums.

If the system is very euphonic then it will not matter not to be able to differentiate because its owner has other things in mind.

Many say they are unable to differentiate between MP3 and FLAC. Despite the low sound quality, the MP3 is encoded at maximum quality. Presumably the same test with better sound quality and format (FLAC 24/96) would be even easier!

The good thing about this test is that the audios were not created by me. They are available in the diyaudio.com thread but are scattered.
Have you tested yourself in any blind manner like in Foobar ABX?

If I test them, that is what I would do.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I down;loaded the files.

Clicked a couple of them.

Couldn't figure out how they are related.

Sorry.

I suppose some folks are too dense to immediately understand much of what I post, too, so, don't feel bad.

---

If the topic is really "How to verify the quality of your audio system" I use other, more direct, methods.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
so what if I listen to the files, and hear no differences? What does it mean? Sure, I suppose it could mean my system isn't "good enough" or something, but it could also mean the differences are in your imagination. How am I to know...and why do I care? I mean I would think it would only take a pretty average system to be able to hear any sort of meaningful difference between amps if there is one...

(note, I haven't downloaded the files yet. just wondering since I really have no idea what the point of this is.)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I looked at the files in Sony SFP 10.

None of the files were clipping (stayed well below clipping levels) but they all differ in amplitude, peak levels and harmonic contents.
They do this in a way that is unlikely to be caused by amplifiers.
I have no idea what MP3 changed in this as well.

Listened to... hey little babe .. dont you cry... as well but cannot draw any conclusions other than the files differ, not very much but they do.
I also cannot possibly say that this is caused by the used amplifiers as the files have had post processing and MP3 conversion.
The only conclusion one can draw is the 'test' and the way it is conducted is the bottleneck(TM)

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
But, with all those problems and limitations, have you been able to differentiate between those three DIY amps? That is the question.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I did not try.
I do not see the value of taking time consuming AB comparisons to see if the provable differences reach my personal borders of audibility.
Not going to do this sighted either... it is meaningless.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
I guess in real life you are not able to differentiate between two red fruits such as strawberry and watermelon :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, with all those problems and limitations, have you been able to differentiate between those three DIY amps? That is the question.
Have you? Post your ABX log to show us how easy it is.

Top Bottom