• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla Model S Audio Quick FR Measurements

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been a learning experience. I finally did the MMM technique with white noise around the driver head position, which matches nicely to the sweep measurements, and show the treble boost when tone controls were flat.

1. Tone controls flat
2. Treble adjusted / cut (see pic below)
3. Treble adjusted and immersive audio high (my preferred setting)

View attachment 156630

View attachment 156631

View attachment 156632

View attachment 156634
Look at the following thread for a mmm guide

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will do more measurements. It seems using white noise instead of pink noise may be more representative. The above MMM measurement was done using pink noise, which does not really show how bright the system sounds when the tone is set to flat.
For MMM RTA you have to use pink noise but also the RTA in "RTA xxx ( prefer (1/48) octave" and not spectrum.
More about it is also nicely demonstrated here:

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Use Pink Periodic noise generated by REW and make sure the RTA window is rectangular and set to the same fft length as the pink periodic noise. Set overlap to like 93% and take measurements using MMM until everything settles and doesn't change much.

I prefer to sit in the back seat, recline the front seats back as far as possible. This is due to Toole's discovery in movie theatres showing how the seat interfered with the upper frequencies, but this could not be heard in real life, it was just the microphone picking it up.

Also measure one speaker/side at a time by fading and balance controls.

You also do not want to use white noise, it is not representative of music.
Read this

and more here:

Andy Wehmeyer (owner of audio frog and the person that wrote the above) used to work at JBL/Harman in their car audio devision and was one of their greats. He would have been there around the same time as Toole and is partially responsible for the JBL/Harman car target curve.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
This has been a learning experience. I finally did the MMM technique with white noise around the driver head position, which matches nicely to the sweep measurements, and show the treble boost when tone controls were flat.

1. Tone controls flat
2. Treble adjusted / cut (see pic below)
3. Treble adjusted and immersive audio high (my preferred setting)

View attachment 156630

View attachment 156631

View attachment 156632

View attachment 156634
Pretty good for a stock car system engineers did nice work here!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You also do not want to use white noise, it is not representative of music.
This is not the reason, but that an fractional octave banding RTA is used and there white noise of linear source would give an increasing to high frequency result because the frequency bands are logarithmic and getting wider with increasing frequency. On the other hand for example a normal sweep based measurement is done with constant amplitude which would be the equivalent of white and not pink noise because a spectrum and not fractional octave banding analysis is performed.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the interesting things about EVs is it has highlighted the dominant influence of wind and road noise at higher speeds. I tried a few EVs and while they were spookily quiet at low speeds on the highway they were not really any quieter than the A6 diesel I had.

Timbo2

I've got a Model 3 and find the stock system surprisingly good. Not super powerful, but I don't listen loud anymore. Biggest issue is all the glass in the Model 3 and less expensive sound absorbing interior materials.

I thought this video of the new revised Model S computer / audio board was interesting because it acutally using liquid cooling for the audio amplifiers. At the 5:55 mark is the audio components discussion.

Top Bottom