• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla Model 3 Gets Good Reivew

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Somehow, I'm not tempted to trade in my '95 Maxima quite yet. I got 535 miles on a tank, once, and didn't have to pay extra for the privilege.

It does need a new radio, though. Only one speaker still working reliably.

Ray, three more years and your '95 Maxima becomes a classic (old prehistoric antiquity).
* Excellent mileage you get there.
As for the radio; you can get an 8-track cassette player with two (stereo) speakers for five bucks @ the Salvation Army store.
This will add value to your "vintage" car, tremendously.
_____

In other news → http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-minimalistic-interior-again-2017-8
Check the size of that screen; it's like the car was made to not look @ the road ahead and other drivers on that road.

And, financial news → https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/reu...in-junk-bonds-to-fund-model-3-production.html
...Where the money is coming from to build them and sell them to concerned citizens about global warming...except for the ones who know for certain that's it's all baloney conspiracy to undermine our good friends from the oil and gas industry.
_____

Off topic: There is a very tiny typo in this thread's title.

Last edited:

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thread seems to be stone cold, but:
Why is there no Post about the M3s sound quality, especially the Premium version (LRAWD).
It seems to have a soundfield processor that does Multichannel sound from Stereo. Has anybody any insight into the process? Does Tesla use a soundfield processor for stereo too, like a Dirac for cars? It does sound as if.
I agree that car-sound should be no subject here, but I believe that Tesla is up to something. Somewhere I read that all loudspeakers are made by Tesla themself, having the Tesla brand stamp steeply deeply embedded. Plus a separate amp for each of the up to 14 speakers. Has anybody insight in what they are doing?
(Btw, no discussion on E vs CH. Even if I would run a power generator in the trunk of my Tesla feeding the battery, it would use less fuel than any ICE.)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad you brought up Tesla. I feel need to brag here since Amir trashed my Bluesound Node. I got Tesla solar panels and Tesla Powerwall 2 in December and now get 85-90% of my electricity for free overall and 100% at night, even when the ARC CA50 is in complete class A or B at volume 11 and all the lights are on. :D

I am also curious about their audio system if anybody knows?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I drove a Model 3 Long Range, and I can tell you the sound is not good in that car. I mean the stereo is decent, but because of the huge glass roof, there is a lot of reflection inside the car, and high reverbration time. You can notice it immediately when you jump in if you're talking with someone. It's just a strange car sound. Ofc it's very quiet because it doesn't have a regular engine, but really, if you're after good sound I'd try to see if the roof somehow can have damping material attached like in regular cars.

I couldn't do much driving at higher speeds, but I would wager a C-class would be quieter inside at Autobahn speed levels. That said, probably gonna be my next car regardless. For the price of a new Model 3 I can get a used C-class here...

Last edited:

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Tesla's Model 3 will start at $35,000. That's before federal or state incentives, which could subtract thousands more from the price of the car.

You guys get such good deals on cars over there.
In Australia, not only will the base price be much higher, the federal and state “incentives” will *add* thousands more to the price

Neddy

@Timcognito Did you get their solar panels or roof tiles? My Bros has lined up a solar roof, but won't be getting it til EOY or 2022.
I'm considering the roof (very small installation, tho).
I do hope others will respond to your audio questions - I'm curious about that as well.
But, in the real world, I'm basically waiting for their $25k car (I've ridden in a 3 and was VERY impressed with it, reminded me a lot of my old BMW Bavaria!). I don't need a sturdy pickup truck anymore & IF the $10k Made In US rebate applies to it, with sale of my (now vintage) truck and a few shares of T$LA, it might even be free - and might even be able to afford FSD (to drive me around in my doddering dottage).
Think about it: Just 20 years ago I NEVER would have thought battery cars would be not only viable but highly desirable (aside from the saving the planet stuff), NOR that we'd be seeing nearly a hundred rocket boosters come back and land themselves - on land and ocean!
Kind of feels like the future finally showed up!!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you get their solar panels or roof tiles?
I got the panels because the my south aspect of my roof was a complicated shape and small. Never considered the the tiles because of that. $13.5K total with a discount from Tesla for bundling with the Powerwall and US government tax incentive (~$6k off for both) for Tesla's smallest system.
IMG_0245.JPG
As for the cars, Tesla's are pricey and dealers and service sparse. Coming from truck you might consider the Volvo XC40 or Volkswagen ID.4

Neddy

Those panels look very nice - I think I'll go ahead and get them to come visit and provide quotes.
Yes, the lack of dealerships (one just opened up the street here, tho) and service has been a Nope for me recently.
I figure that IF they proceed with the new $25k model it'll be several years at least, so time for them to up their game on those (and remaining QC issues)...and also time for me to do solar if I want.
I only got the truck for hauling big stuff, and don't Do That anymore, so a small 'city car' might make sense (a 3 would be very nice, but also too big for Just Me.) I didn't expect it'd last 15 years (and still looks and runs like new), so any new vehicle has to 'justify' itself as it'd likely be my last one.
We'll see - the longer I wait/it takes, the more my shares are worth, too.
Or, just buy one of the new Z cars and go nuts with it. (I bought one of the "new" 510s b/c I couldn't afford the 'extra $500' for the 240z...sure rusted out fast - $2995 for a brand new car didn't seem all that bad back then.)
;)

Top Bottom