• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla full self driving betas out soon says Elon Musk.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Make him put 10K miles in Chicago traffic on the first one. LOL

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I want'a come back in about 200 more and see what the time brings.
Maybe I'll get frozen. LOL

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'll get frozen. LOL
People like you or me might not be allowed in 200 years.

They'll genetically engineer some really small, strong, smart humans resistant to radiation so they'll be cheap to shoot up in space.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Can you imagine turning up in 200 years with a big thumpin, gas guzzling V8 and a tankful of gas and everyone is flying around in gravity defying flying cars. The highways as we know them are all cracked, crumbling and covered in weeds and vegetation.

A bit like the city scene in the Fifth Element.

1603094319078.png

Willem

Major Contributor
In future we will all be riding bicycles. Here, bicycle sales are up a lot, and car sales down. As for self driving cars, I think in due time they will make private car ownership obsolete for many people.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I sincerely doubt Musk will ride one of his rockets.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In future we will all be riding bicycles. Here, bicycle sales are up a lot, and car sales down. As for self driving cars, I think in due time they will make private car ownership obsolete for many people.
I disagree on the bikes at least where I live. I do agree self driving cars will mostly end private car ownership. Musk has said once full autonomous driving is working and legal he'll stop selling cars and start selling transportation service.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Can you imagine turning up in 200 years with a big thumpin, gas guzzling V8 and a tankful of gas and everyone is flying around in gravity defying flying cars. The highways as we know them are all cracked, crumbling and covered in weeds and vegetation.

A bit like the city scene in the Fifth Element.

View attachment 88539

For whatever reason, I've always liked that movie. There's a fair bit of clever mixed in.

Great idea on the liquid hydrocarbon burner...
Maybe I can get frozen in my big old Suburban Diesel, so I'm ready to start up and go when I wake up.

Glow plugs might need an extra cycle after that long...

I'll make I sure I bring my

tenor (6).gif

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I disagree on the bikes at least where I live. I do agree self driving cars will mostly end private car ownership. Musk has said once full autonomous driving is working and legal he'll stop selling cars and start selling transportation service.

I have 3 Cybertrucks reserved, and plan to use them at night for my service crews, and (hopefully, eventually) during the day as an on call autonomous taxi as you describe. Having the self driving capability for crews driving hours every night will be great. It will be interesting to see how his plans come together.

Willem

Major Contributor
The feasibility of cycling is indeed location specific. Dutch towns are compact, so even in my town with 250k inhabitants cycling is not only feasible, but the most common form of local transport, and for many routes faster than driving. Once Covid is over trains will also become more importannt for long distance transportation, with in due time autonomous electric taxis for intermediate distances. Trains are getting faster all the time, and in the EU night trains will be expanded again, after years of contraction. Conversely, traffic jams and airport congestion undermine the speed advantage of long distance driving or flying at typical longer European distances. By now, the fastest way to get to Paris for me is the train. And to come back to cycling: it is only a quite relaxed two week bike ride from the Netherlands to the Mediterranean.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

98% of my home to office commute was on a bicycle last year, regardless of the weather conditions. That's a total of approximately 6000km for the work trips ( sticking to the best route, the round trip is 33km). There are a ton of constraints though.

* I am lucky that I can do 15km of 16.5km one way trip in a protected, agreeable environment, along a cute river - if I had to do it on the normal road, it would be too dangerous, I'd be drenched by passing cars and trucks or worse. Most people don't have the protected site option here (I know Nehterlands is somewhat different).

* I am unlucky in the sense that I live on a small cliff overlooking the river, right in the middle of the climb that usually arbitrates the world's oldest classic cycling race. The climb back home is a killer, especially under cold rain in the winter. At my age, the pedal-assist e-bike option becomes mandatory, especially if done on a daily basis. Now, those bikes are expensive to begin with and require quite a bit of active maintenance. You can kill a chain in less than 1000km in winter and a complete drivetrain in less than 3000km. I am OK with bike maintenance and proper care which dramatically increases the lifespan of components, but most people either don't have the skills, space, time or tools. Bike shops closures and overload, part supply this year did not help either.

* clothing... You have got to be ready for all kinds of weather. In practice, and on average, I count 1.5 set of clothes per day. I guess I could simply put the assist in high mode to sweat less, as opposed to low or none, but then the health benefit would be gone. The routine is to prepare, then change clothes and dry them and yourself when you arrive, then change again when you come back.

* payload is limited - no way I can routinely stick something like a small server on the bike. That means (and that is also valid for shopping) that a car remains necessary. I know bikes with multiple payload options are available, but if you want a solid one (say R&M), the price can be close to a small car. Then, that bike is a bitch for week-end rides, so you need another one.

The ads always show a nice woman or man, smiling beatifically under the sunshine, pedaling effortlessly, with a couple of small kids tied to optional contraptions and loaded with open grocery bags. That's about as realistic as driving your station wagon with the family to the edge of the cliff in an Irish protected site to have a barbecue in sunny weather.

While I love bicycles - I own 6 "active" ones at the moment (road, fat, "gravel", eMTB (full suspension), eCitybike, eSemiMTB (full suspension, loading options, mudguards etc...) - while I am definitely a slightly obsessed bike lover, I still need cars (would love to get rid of them, keeping just one to drive the bikes to really nice places and do the weekly shopping) and don't think the dream "everyone on a bike commuting to work breathing clean air is realistic at this point"

And even Netherlands, which is arguably a bike paradise, still suffers from huge traffic jams. I've done nightmarish Maastricht - Eindhoven a few times and I am told by Dutch friends I have seen nothing yet ;)

Bicycle + self driving hail ride as a service might be the synergy we need though. Unfortunately, given the road plan around here, I suspect I will be dead before it happens.

Willem

Major Contributor
I guess I am lucky. We live at the southern edge of town, and the furthest university building is right at the northern edge of town, and that is all of 7.5 km by biccyle. (90% of that would be on dedicated bike lanes and not just separated by a line of white paint). Most university buildings are in the city centre, and that is only 4 km from where we live. Like most people here, we also ride our bikes to work in winter, even with some snow (we now use winter tyres for the bicycles).

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting discussion, and Tesla goals - I'm very curious to see how it all plays out - while trying to position myself for - perhaps - one of 'those things' in the future (assuming we all have one:).
I'm skeptical of all the hype, and how that 'vision' will deal with: Snow.
I live not to far from where this was taken
1603114465375.png

1603114478670.png

also, on a street that is a section of the city's bike path. I've seen a huge increase in bike traffic over the years, and even more so this year.
Most of it was hard core commuters, now appears much less so, but much 'heavier' - to the point where it's getting tricky to drive down the street, and so have to wonder how FSD will deal with bikes appearing suddenly 'around the bend' traveling at fairly high speeds.
I've also noticed there is already one 'e-taxi' Model 3 service operating in the area - keeping an eye on that one.
I applaud Musks' goals and disruptive industry, but suspect that he's way over estimating it's rate of adoption (FSD - electric cars, not so much) - after all, when I saw what 'the internet/browsers' could do, I expected a huge and very immediate disruption to business models, but it took decades and decades.
(And they still appear to have huge customer service and quality control issues to deal with.)
Best wishes for the CyberTruck purchases! - hope you can report back on them in future. Shame they are too big for my garage, or I'd have one 'on order' too!
:rolleyes:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can these things find their way out of a typical labyrinthine suburban shopping center yet?

Timbo2

With Musk the timeline is always just around the corner.

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/where-is-starman-now

My Model 3 drives like a teenager that just got his or her license. It also likes to late brake or see a shadow and emergency brake. In @maverickronin 's example above if it can't get a GPS lock good luck it's not going to drive. I'm utterly unsurprised that there are so many youtube videos of the them plowing into other cars and various objects.

They are also CA based and it shows. Good luck with, snow, rain, road conditions, road types and traffic patterns that don't exist in CA. It only took Tesla 3 plus years to realize that its chargeport design ice over and owners can't get them open to charge their vehicles and redesign it.

The best part is that Musk has people paying now for features that unlikely to be complete during a large portion of their expected ownership of the vehicle. It's a great vehicle - just save yourself USD$8k and don't bother with self driving. It now comes standard with lane keeping and traffic aware cruise control.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
n @maverickronin 's example above if it can't get a GPS lock good luck it's not going to drive. I'm utterly unsurprised that there are so many youtube videos of the them plowing into other cars and various objects.

Wow. That's going to be pretty useless unless google starts mapping private parking lots as well. Seems like it's still just glorified cruise control.

Also, in order for 100% self driving cars to be safe and reliable they're going to need to be able to drive without any GPS at all so pranksters don't DoS the interstate with a simple radio jammer...

Timbo2

Wow. That's going to be pretty useless unless google starts mapping private parking lots as well. Seems like it's still just glorified cruise control.

Also, in order for 100% self driving cars to be safe and reliable they're going to need to be able to drive without any GPS at all so pranksters don't DoS the interstate with a simple radio jammer...

It is capable of operation without GPS and it does do dead reckoning. However, right now as of the latest software, it's a "no go". With the beta which in a sane world would be an "alpha" I don't expect this to have changed.

Top Bottom