• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

terminator vs terminator PLUS

skypickle

Is this over the top? I read the ARES review, but was wondering if it's already so good , how much better could the terminator be? At what point do Denafrips DACS sound the SAME?

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
well, if they are working the way a dac should, at the lowest price point. Which is probably still hundreds higher than it needs to be, lol...unless of course you have the wondrous ears of a Steve Guttenberg or a John Darko.

But hey, there's always more depth and musicality to be found in those 60s recordings! And a $4000 dac can't help but reveal all sorts of hidden magic that no system has in the 5 decades since then! lol

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Sorry, if I'm being a bag of d**ks. I know it's rude to answer questions with question, but here I go:

Is this over the top?

Compared to what?

I read the ARES review, but was wondering if it's already so good , how much better could the terminator be?

Better at what?

At what point do Denafrips DACS sound the SAME?

Depends on whether or not any of them mangle the signal on on purpose. If non of them do, my bet on an answer would be; all points you can imagine.

OP
S

skypickle

@Killingbeans yes I know my question was vague and subjective. ASR being what it is , I should simply ask if measurements are available. ? ? ?

In the spirit of objective analysis, I wish there was a way we could do blind testing remotely - but how does one simulate hearing? Any attempt to compare music files generated from recordings of music using different DACs would necessarily have to be played back through a user’s system which would introduce more distortion than what exists between DACs. Way off topic but I don’t know of a set of electronic parameters that has been tested and found to correlate with psychoacoustic differences. Perhaps when deep learning is applied to fMRI images as music is played with different DACs we can have a more quantitative interpretation of this issue and answer the question ‘can you hear the difference? Is it memorex or is it live?’ ( for the millennials here, that was an advertising slogan for a brand of magnetic tape - the stuff we used to store music on)

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I don't know. Seems to me you could volume match a couple dacs, get some nice high quality recordings of their output of a variety of different tracks and then A/B/X those recordings similar to the various lossy vs lossless tests that are out there.

peanuts

Doesnt Topping E30 ruin the Ares II at a fraction of the price? i wouldnt put to much faith in this product.
Its huge and 19kg, lots of unessacery components.

OP
S

skypickle

I think a better question would simply be: What are you looking for in a DAC?
in this forum, any question besides 'are measurements available' is subject to the condemnation of 'subjectivism'. so i'll refrain from asking for audible differences and psychoacoustic comparisons

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't really care that much about the measurements. Unless they are catastrophically bad, they honestly won't tell us a lot.

Personally I see discrete R2R DACs as an over-engineered (or under-engineered?) solution to a non-existent problem. I'd love some evidence showing them having audible benefits over Sigma-Delta, but until that appears, I have no problem looking at them as nothing but a gimmick.

So, the only things making them "better" would be stuff like; Build quality, enclosure aesthetics, ease/Intuitiveness of the user interface, connectivity, features, service/support and so on. I can't imagine that a Terminator-Plus offers those in a way that justifies the price tag.

My take on "Is this over the top?": Yes! But also compared to just about any less expensive well-engineered DAC on the market.

Veri

Master Contributor
Doesnt Topping E30 ruin the Ares II at a fraction of the price? i wouldnt put to much faith in this product.
Its huge and 19kg, lots of unessacery components.
If not Topping D30, the D10s surely would.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I thought R2R DACs are a fundamental electronic circuit. It is taught in Fundamentals of Digital Circuitry.
https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Fundamentals-11th-Thomas-Floyd/dp/0132737965

They are really great for educational purposes, and if you are prototyping and need a quick and dirty DA conversion, it's nice to know that you can just grab a handful of resistors and get things going. But in audio reproduction they offer zero benefits compared to modern alternatives. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is not being crappy really a benefit? :D
DunnO about your quote but I sure remember "KC" the Chinese instructor for my education nodding that it can be done. If he says so then it can be...lol :D

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
DunnO about your quote but I sure remember "KC" the Chinese instructor for my education nodding that it can be done. If he says so then it can be...lol :D

My point being that building an R2R DAC that's audibly indistinguishable from a SD DAC is perfectly doable. You can even make one with a sky high SINAD matching the bedst SD chips, just to make it look good on paper. But there's no point in talking about audible superiority.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My point being that building an R2R DAC that's audibly indistinguishable from a SD DAC is perfectly doable. You can even make one with a sky high SINAD matching the bedst SD chips, just to make it look good on paper. But there's no point in talking about audible superiority.
Can be done :D Why not. :cool:

Top Bottom