• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tenet

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m obviously in the minority here. I could not finish the movie. The distortion in the Master audio was simply too much for me. The whole movie was boosted maybe 6db. What I saw/heard was loudness Wars seeping into his Movies. Not his first movie with massive signal clipping. When the clipping is built in, no matter what MV you use the distortion/clipping is present. It’s 2020 and Nolan is still using audio channels of 5.1 and then intentionally clipping the signals. No thanks.
Yes lots off complaint about sound. Some said they had to watch with subtitles on. It was pretty awful.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has the typical tenets of a Nolan movie - bad sound, silly fight scenes, rushed dialogs etc. The entertainment value for me was huge though - its 2+ hours of non-stop mind numbing stuff. Love it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has the typical tenets of a Nolan movie - bad sound, silly fight scenes, rushed dialogs etc. The entertainment value for me was huge though - its 2+ hours of non-stop mind numbing stuff. Love it.
:D

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a movie like this where dialog and exposition is critical, the dialog must be intelligible. That is table stakes, no matter what other virtues the movie may have. I went to the theaters to see it and feel cheated. If the makers think that I'm going to go to the theater multiple times or purchase the bluray to decipher the unintelligible dialog, they can fuck right off. FIX THE SOUND.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If the makers think that I'm going to go to the theater multiple times or purchase the bluray to decipher the unintelligible dialog, they can fuck right off. FIX THE SOUND.

I laughed when I read this, but it's very true.

jcarys

I had the same technical complaints of others here, but more than anything else I thought the plot was just a mess. I found it interesting that this was written by Chris, where as his movie's are usually written by his brother, Jonathan, or it's a collaboration between the two. Maybe it's Jonathan that works out the crazy plot twists and pseudo-science explanations. This just seemed like people running around constantly shooting each other for whatever reason was needed to make the scene big and loud. I'm so happy I saved my money and skipped the UHD this time around.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 80998
Reminds me of some very sexy (but not so reliable) British cars that I did work on both the 6 & 12 cyl versions of. The electricals on both versions where wonky, too. The cooling system on the 12's seemed to exacerbate the other issues with the 12's also (if the cooling systems & the electricals were OK, then their issues 12's might not have been noticed, as the body rot would have taken precedence). My guess is (having never seen one of these Toyota's in person but having a 2012 Lexus [which is not FUN but reliable as a stone]) that this Toyota was more reliable than the British beauty. In spite of itself, I still like the XJS though. In the Brits case: engine swaps cause a character loss but solve a lot of issues.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read somewhere that Nolan is well aware of the dialogs issue and he prefers it this way. Is this his way of being artsy?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.

OK
I watched it yesterday night ...
Same feelings about this movie.
IMO, there are several plots holes. Kind of nonsensical at times TBH but ...
I don't think I got it, it could also be there isn't anything to get. Put the reasoning aside and enjoy the romp ... and ... People! This was an enjoyable ride, at least for me ... I suspect that I will watch it again tonight. :)

Sound is good, some have complained about it being too loud but it wasn't in my system playing at the usual volume settings ... Blade Runner 2049, Interstellar and Aquaman at same volume settings on the Denon AVR seemed louder to my ears and at times, same settings, too loud ... It could be better , Atmos could have been used for better effects.
The bass is loud and strong, I suspect that could lead to distortion in many speakers and subwoofers ... I cross everything at 80 Hz and use 3 subs in a relatively small room... It was enjoyable.. Oh Boy! .. Chest-pounding bass... Loud, clear and at times very deep...
Acting was good .. John David Washington is a rising star... He can act.

Picture is clear... I need to find a setting in my current projector that present better blacks linearity.

a good movie... I have to handle to him: The man knows how to write and direct a film ... Reputation is not surfeit ...

amper42

Major Contributor
I purchased "Tenet" 4K and watched it this week. I was really disappointed by the quality of sound and the story. The sound is mostly boomy bass with zero ATMOS. No consideration was made for sound clarity or quality. I have to go back to listening to a DVD from 20 years ago to find a similar lack of definition.

The story has some twists but its just another temporal time based story with poor audio quality. I should have listened to the comments of other people who watched this movie. But curiosity killed the cat. Another perfectly good $20 wasted. lol

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have not watched Tenet or bought the Blu-ray. Future Me traveled back in time (recently? soon?) and visited me to caution me against watching Tenet. He/me said that watching Tenet would simply confuse me about the nature of time travel so much that I would fail to invent technology in the future that makes time travel possible, in which case he/I would not be able to travel back in time to warn me to not watch Tenet.

Time travel possibly increases the THD+N of audio recorded while time traveling (touched on in a different way in 12 Monkeys), as the universe's way of trying to prevent violation of causality of signals. So the poor voice audio quality viewers complained about might just be Nolan bringing a touch of realism regarding the side-effects of time travel.

I will hold off on watching Tenet until I satisfactorily resolve in my mind the puzzle of "Tell Me Something", a movie from the late 1990s that stars Shim Eun-ha IIRC, and has nothing to do with time travel. I watched it in an art-house theater back then, and it has periodically gnawed at my brain ever since. If I do end up watching Tenet, why then you would know exactly why I do not wind up inventing a time machine in the future.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not watched Tenet or bought the Blu-ray. Future Me traveled back in time and visited me to caution me against watching Tenet. He/me said that watching Tenet would simply confuse me about the nature of time travel so much that I would fail to invent technology in the future that makes time travel possible, in which case he/I would not be able to travel back in time to warn me to not watch Tenet.

Time travel possibly increases the THD+N of audio recorded while time traveling (touched on in a different way in 12 Monkeys), as the universe's way of trying to prevent violation of causality of signals. So the poor voice audio quality viewers complained about might just be Nolan bringing a touch of realism regarding the side-effects of time travel.

I will hold off on watching Tenet until I satisfactorily resolve in my mind the puzzle of "Tell Me Something", a movie from the late 1990s that stars Shim Eun-ha IIRC, and has nothing to do with time travel. If I do end up watching Tenet, why then you would know exactly why I do not wind up inventing a time machine in the future.
Whew!!!! That was a close one. You were the key person we had to get through to not to watch Tenet or the future and past of music along with all humanity would disappear.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not watched Tenet or bought the Blu-ray. Future Me traveled back in time (recently? soon?) and visited me to caution me against watching Tenet. He/me said that watching Tenet would simply confuse me about the nature of time travel so much that I would fail to invent technology in the future that makes time travel possible, in which case he/I would not be able to travel back in time to warn me to not watch Tenet.

I will hold off on watching Tenet until I satisfactorily resolve in my mind the puzzle of "Tell Me Something", a movie from the late 1990s that stars Shim Eun-ha IIRC, and has nothing to do with time travel. If I do end up watching Tenet, why then you would know exactly why I do not wind up inventing a time machine in the future.
I knew you were going to say this..

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re-watched and cannot (will not?) make sense of it... Mind-messing? Yeah! It is.. and a lot of nonsense when you think of it... an example: When you are inverted, you need an apparatus to breath in the "normal" World , fair but in the movie the people eyes , skin , etc were not protected ... Water should also come out of the cells right? welllllllll ... Not in this movie and you can drive too and you move backwards and ...
You know what? Tenet is a bad movie with a sieve-like plot, so full of holes it is .. Enjoyable nonetheless :)

I paid attention to the sound and it is OK, not overly loud.. Dialog is not clear however... I had to raise it above my usual settings.

It is also time for Nolan to quit for a time, the Time Travel theme. He'll always have time to come back to it..

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forced myself to, for a second time, re-watch to, kind of make sense, of this movie...

My conclusion?

A bad movie. Being from Nolan and featuring two good actors in Washington and Pattinson, critics went soft.
Any less famous director would have been pilloried.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a strict rule: lifetime is the most expensive thing we have. I wont give it away for bad stuff people say is good. I should have stopped this movie when it started to show it is stupid like I do with others

True that!
Thing is, I came to appreciate a few things Nolan does. I love Dunkirk, it is IMHO a masterpiece...
I hated Memento and now hate "Tenet".

Snafu

guy walks in.

lady shows him how gravity and time works backwards.

guys unimpressed reaction is like: mmm.. okey... nice

:facepalm:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.
Agreed-downloaded an absolutely huge 4K HDR file and was very excited to watch but like you was terribly confused most of the time. Time travel doesn't even begin to explain this to a casual observer. I was trying to describe what the move was about to some co-workers but didn't have the language skills.

Top Bottom