• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ten most important rules!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
#1 isn’t bad, but it is all downhill from there.

Koloth

Why can't he print them out so I don't have to sit through this?

At some point making videos required a certain amount of skill: texts were then the ubiquitous and democratic means of communication with a low bar of entry - really just basic literacy. Nowadays, it seems to me, that YouTube and vlog'ging culture has removed the barriers to entry for video sharing to the degree, that its become the preferred way of expression for those too lazy to type - or those illiterate...

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why can't he print them out so I don't have to sit through this?
Click the "open transcript" option, and pause the video, then just read the auto-generated transcript haha! :D

It's also very handy if there is a long lecture or presentation, and you are only interested in a particular topic--you can use the transcript feature and scan through it quickly, then use the timestamp to watch the relevant section only.

Audiophiliac transcript.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Click the "open transcript" option, and pause the video, then just read the auto-generated transcript haha! :D

It's also very handy if there is a long lecture or presentation, and you are only interested in a particular topic--you can use the transcript feature and scan through it quickly, then use the timestamp to watch the relevant section only.

View attachment 49100
He's got that professional youtuber banter on tap.

Reactions: Tks

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
1 - Experiment with speaker placement

Sure, but not exactly earth-shattering advice.

2 - Trust your ears not measurements.

Pretty much the usual audiophool take on measurements. Steve, none of us objectivists are looking at some good measurements, buying the speakers, and then subjecting ourselves to bad audio just because they measured good. The stuff that measures good ALSO happens to SOUND GOOD! Shocking!

3 - Vinyl (well, analog but you know) and Digital can both "move" you.

yeah, ok...whatever steve.

4 - er...just number 3 over again only from the opposite perspective. Both vinyl and digital recordings can "sound bad." Yeah. Obviously. Thanks Steve.

5 - Trust you ears...again. They are your ears. There's no right or wrong. No such thing as objectively good sound reproduction. Your ears are magic. Trust the magic ears since they never lie.

6 - No audio system can ever sound "real." True. But what they can sound like is the RECORDING of reality.

7 - Some rooms suck

8 - If your room sucks, get good headphones. I'm not entirely sure why this wasn't just the solution for rule 7 rather than an entirely separate rule but whatevs...

9 - size matters. big speakers win. I mean ok, I guess...but it's certainly arguable afaic.

10 - Have fun everybody!

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1 - Experiment with speaker placement

Sure, but not exactly earth-shattering advice.

2 - Trust your ears not measurements.

Pretty much the usual audiophool take on measurements. Steve, none of us objectivists are looking at some good measurements, buying the speakers, and then subjecting ourselves to bad audio just because they measured good. The stuff that measures good ALSO happens to SOUND GOOD! Shocking!

3 - Vinyl (well, analog but you know) and Digital can both "move" you.

yeah, ok...whatever steve.

4 - er...just number 3 over again only from the opposite perspective. Both vinyl and digital recordings can "sound bad." Yeah. Obviously. Thanks Steve.

5 - Trust you ears...again. They are your ears. There's no right or wrong. No such thing as objectively good sound reproduction. Your ears are magic. Trust the magic ears since they never lie.

6 - No audio system can ever sound "real." True. But what they can sound like is the RECORDING of reality.

7 - Some rooms suck

8 - If your room sucks, get good headphones. I'm not entirely sure why this wasn't just the solution for rule 7 rather than an entirely separate rule but whatevs...

9 - size matters. big speakers win. I mean ok, I guess...but it's certainly arguable afaic.

10 - Have fun everybody!
Thank you for your indefatigable service to the ASR community!

pretty blah list. I was tuning out at number two, which I now interpret as “pleasepleaseplease keep the widest possible subjectivist fantasy alive, it’s my job”

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
6 - No audio system can ever sound "real."

As far as 'real' sound. Back in the day AR (and other companies) used to stage live versus recorded demos. They'd feature a string trio or some other non-offensive mild-mannered thing, and then crossover to AR speakers (fed by Dynaco electronics). Folks often couldn't tell the transition. Why? Because it was a huge auditorium and the listeners were seated far away, and the sound was 'diluted' by the time it reached them (as anyone who attends live concerts knows--there are very few spatial clues in concert halls--such as imaging, front to back depth, etc). Also, the type of music played. I don't think they used John Coltrane or Miles Davis.

But if you take the same string quartet and move it in to your living room, you will immediately be able to tell the difference between them and the AR3a. And the 3a will not even sound close to John Coltrane's saxophone.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

That is even more bother than listening with one ear.

Reactions: PSO

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do people care what the man has to say ?
I unsubd a while ago, around the time I found ASR. I used to listen to him and to Paul Mcgowan (and Z reviews…), and one day I just realized they were all talking out of their asses.

@Sgt. Ear Ache THANK YOU!

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meant for these guys -
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 1.35.18 PM.png

Exactly: whats happens to magnetic fields at that region? the mystery proves the point.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Steve is mostly a funny guy. He brings some humor into the goofiness of audiophilia. As Theo Bikel quipped in Frank's 200 Motels, "We know how hard it is to laugh these days, with all the terrible problems in the world!" You can laugh at Steve, and I don't think that he cares. And I suspect he knows 'the truth" about the high-end and all of its nonsense, but for personal reasons feels he has to equivocate--likely because he wants to maintain a link with the tweaks.

Not only that, I think he knows how in its essence audiofoolery ought to be fun, but realizes how many consumers are often slaves to an audiophile-specific neurosis (or, even worse, psychosis). Is Steve willing to help? Not likely. He's on the borderline but is not going to 'expose the business.' Perhaps, like Pilate, he is happy to more or less wash his hands over it all, asking ironically, "What is truth?" It would be better if he came clean, but that would probably be asking too much of him. In the land of fake entertainment (and to use an analogy) he does not have the integrity of, say, a Vince McMahon (who long ago admitted that his business was all a work).

I would not look to Steve for audio advice, unless it was one on one, over drinks. But in that case I'd rather be asking him to tell audio store anecdotes. Those have to be more fun to listen to. Anyone who has spent time in a NYC audio den of iniquity ought to be able to tell some pretty interesting and pretty weird stories.

Top Bottom