• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Tempting Craigslist purchase - "vintage" speakers - Austin Craigslist - JC Penny!

suttondesign

Forum Donor
If You Hear them, you'll Buy 'em!!--1980's MCS Home Stereo Speakers - $100
Price Reduced, Was $145, Now the 1st $100 Owns Them This is a Nice Pair of Vintage Speakers, Great Sound. each measures 12" x 13.5" x 24" tall. I have them powered up to demonstrate here. Presently, They're Still Available If Posted.

Attachments

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the quality of sound will be about the quality of those pictures.

I might go $10 on the pair if I needed something non-critical for my garage or something similar. $100 is crazy.

Trust me, box speakers have come a long, long way since the late 1970's to early 1980's when these were made. These wouldn't have been quality speakers even in their day.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #4
I had something even worse as my starter pair in 1978. Dad took me to a "hi fi shop" out on a commercial strip with car repair shops and railroad tracks. They had "Omega" speakers which they sold to me for $24/month for 2 years. See attached. It's pretty obvious that these were just vehicles for selling loans.

When I was 15, I worked all summer at a tennis club, saved up $900 (1980, do the math), and got ADS L810's. Those were designed by Michael Kelly, who would later found Aerial Acoustics. I had them for quite some time, gave them to my brother later. Probably still around somewhere.

Attachments

pozz

Machine
Forum Donor
Editor
If You Hear them, you'll Buy 'em!!--1980's MCS Home Stereo Speakers - $100
Price Reduced, Was $145, Now the 1st $100 Owns Them This is a Nice Pair of Vintage Speakers, Great Sound. each measures 12" x 13.5" x 24" tall. I have them powered up to demonstrate here. Presently, They're Still Available If Posted.
It would be really interesting to test the accuracy of that FR curve.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BillH Audio Equipment For Sale 0
amirm Fun topics, videos, etc. 1