• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After checking Specs, it seems my Sonata HD III is a worse DAC in all aspects than the HD Pro, so I will check if ALiExpress allows me to send it back, didnt even open the unit. The New HD Pro Slogan seems to be a bad marketing move
Their line up is somewhat confusing full stop. I also note that the android version of the actual sonata HD pro is out of stock on their site. Usually a sign it's being phased out.

Alec246

YEah, seems the HD PRO is phasing out. Now I am at a dilema, if I keep the unit, with no existing measurement if this is actually a decent implementation vs the HD PRO, or if I try sending it back, but then I Will probably have to spend more for the HD PRO alternatives..

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
YEah, seems the HD PRO is phasing out. Now I am at a dilema, if I keep the unit, with no existing measurement if this is actually a decent implementation vs the HD PRO, or if I try sending it back, but then I Will probably have to spend more for the HD PRO alternatives..
I would say if the one you bought suits your purposes, I'd keep it.

Alec246

Im probably staying with mine.. the trouble of sending this back to China is not worth the effort imo.

Is there a place i can suggest to have this HD III and maybe also HD V, both 2022.models, measured at this fórum? It seems Very appropriate, since the HD Pro is not even available anymore for sale

nsfgp

Post the VendorID/ProductID here and may be we can spot some difference comparing between old and new models. Use UsbTreeView probably best if someone really wants to dig into more details before opening up the enclosure.

NeoToad

I believe VendorID/ProductID are tied to a firmware and change accordingly when device get re-flashed. Mine is 22E1/E206 at the moment and it seems to be HD III ID. It's even present in the filename of HD III's firmware executable. It was the same out of the box (i've checked original device which is still present but hidden in Device Manager) but it changed when I flashed it with HD Pro 1.0 and 3.0 firmwares. I remember this clearly because auto-populated values in flashing utility were always wrong, so I had to copy-paste them from Device Manager every time.

Btw Ali's Tempotec store recently answered my message in which I asked for my unit's original firmware (since those available for download were not working). They asked me to send it back. I refused and said that HD III firmware is working fine. They did not answer my question if this is HD III in HD Pro case.

nsfgp

I believe VendorID/ProductID are tied to a firmware and change accordingly when device get re-flashed. Mine is 22E1/E206 at the moment and it seems to be HD III ID. It's even present in the filename of HD III's firmware executable. It was the same out of the box (i've checked original device which is still present but hidden in Device Manager) but it changed when I flashed it with HD Pro 1.0 and 3.0 firmwares. I remember this clearly because auto-populated values in flashing utility were always wrong, so I had to copy-paste them from Device Manager every time.

Btw Ali's Tempotec store recently answered my message in which I asked for my unit's original firmware (since those available for download were not working). They asked me to send it back. I refused and said that HD III firmware is working fine. They did not answer my question if this is HD III in HD Pro case.
Yeah Tempotec can fudge the VID/PID anyway they want if they wanted to. But the most probable case for your unit is they put new hardware into old cases they don't want to waste. Probably ran out of old CS chip forcing them to go to new ESS version. They certainly want to benefit from the stellar reputation with the Sonata HD Pro name and wants people to believe this is a new/better HD Pro.
I don't have one of these so can't help much. But if you have not digged into the unit's detail with usbtreeview (https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html) you might want to try and may be you can discover something that is unique to the new hardware vs the old.

Alec246

Here is what I get from my confirmed HD III in USB Device Tree

Vendor ID : 0x22E1 (TempoTec Corp)
Product ID : 0xE206

Device ID : USB\VID_22E1&PID_E206\6&2838F1DC&0&4
Hardware IDs : USB\VID_22E1&PID_E206&REV_0001 USB\VID_22E1&PID_E206

Alec246

Is there any way I can default Windows to not set Volume to Full whenever I connect my Tempotec DAC? I am always afraid I am going to blow up my IEM, or worse, my ears!!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Windows should remember the last set volume on a per-device basis and set it to that value when you plug in your DAC. At least, it does on my PC.
I don't know why yours doesn't.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah Tempotec can fudge the VID/PID anyway they want if they wanted to. But the most probable case for your unit is they put new hardware into old cases they don't want to waste. Probably ran out of old CS chip forcing them to go to new ESS version. They certainly want to benefit from the stellar reputation with the Sonata HD Pro name and wants people to believe this is a new/better HD Pro.
I don't have one of these so can't help much. But if you have not digged into the unit's detail with usbtreeview (https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html) you might want to try and may be you can discover something that is unique to the new hardware vs the old.
Are we entering into FUD territory here? "most probably" and "probably..... Forcing them to" are pushing it a bit. Is there any confirmed cases of this company doing that?

Alec246

Windows should remember the last set volume on a per-device basis and set it to that value when you plug in your DAC. At least, it does on my PC.
I don't know why yours doesn't.

Happens everytime I disconnect and connect the unit via USB, resets Volume to Full. Didnt test if it would hold if I kept it connected during a system reboot

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's short video to show the behavior on my PC. I did not install any drivers:

Maybe try updating the firmware on your Sonata HD Pro?

Alec246

I did just that. It may have solved the issues. Fingers crossed! Flashed my unit, also installed the Windows Drivers from their website, even though they date back to 2018

Saidera

Windows 11 can be buggy.

Plug into the same USB port?

I am so disappointed that Sonata HD Pro is literally gone now. Replaced by random ESS stuff.

Slowly we can see Meizu Hifi has been replaced by some random 'mblu' DAC that uses a dubious CX chip. Why are these people not aware of the importance of quality? Of the three dongles which are both measured on ASR, inexpensive and famous, two are more or less gone. Maybe you can still get a Meizu but its price ain't great. All I can now recommend are Apple dongles...

Sure there are plenty of dongles using CS43131 or CS43198, but we're past the age where buyers can be certain what chips the random dongles are using. We're also past the age when dongles of high quality could be bought for low prices.

I don't think long-selling products should be phased out. Worse is the use of 'HD Pro' naming on products completely unrelated to it, and we can see here at least one person has made a mistake - been deceived by this naming.

Because of this, I’m taking off SHD Pro and Meizu from my signature; I am thoroughly convinced that DSD support, 2 Vrms output and other such features of CS43131 are not so different (in terms of improvement) from your common Apple CS46L06 which has arguably the best ADC on the dongle market.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Slowly we can see Meizu Hifi has been replaced by some random 'mblu' DAC
It hasn't. It's still available here.
And if you want the Meizu Pro with OPA1612, it's also available, just under a different brand. See here.

Maybe you can still get a Meizu but its price ain't great.
Yeah the price went up a bit, but it's about the same as what it would cost to import an A2049 to Europe, so still absolutely worth it over here.

Alec246

I am so disappointed that Sonata HD Pro is literally gone now. Replaced by random ESS stuff.

I don't think long-selling products should be phased out. Worse is the use of 'HD Pro' naming on products completely unrelated to it, and we can see here at least one person has made a mistake - been deceived by this naming.

I can only agree, with the Marketing trying to deceived the costumer, as it well did to me. You purchase in 2022, a Product that is mentioned as HD Pro sucessor, and it comes with a DAC Chip made in 2016? While the HD Pro that it suceeded used top of class hardware built in, there is no comparison. And at the same price as well. What I bought should have cost 20/30 euros, not more. It's the price for a similar dongle. I don't recommend the HD III for any user that wanted a HD Pro instead,

Saidera

Interesting, so a replacement for Meizu Hifi Pro has existed since late 2020! And by Ugreen, which I thought was a cheap dongle brand. https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B08NVRV6G9
Just gotta say that there doesn't seem to be a window to look inside at the chip, which made Meizu special.
I see plenty of ASR members have been talking about this Ugreen HiFi Audio Pro.

decayed.cell

Interesting, so a replacement for Meizu Hifi Pro has existed since late 2020! And by Ugreen, which I thought was a cheap dongle brand. https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B08NVRV6G9
Just gotta say that there doesn't seem to be a window to look inside at the chip, which made Meizu special.
I see plenty of ASR members have been talking about this Ugreen HiFi Audio Pro.
UGreen is a good brand. Build quality wise they're good, and a bit on the expensive side even on Chinese sites.

As a side note, I've lost my Type-C to USB dongle adapter - does anyone know if this is just a plain adapter? I've always been curious as to why Type-C to PC wouldn't just work

Top Bottom