• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

taudier

Bit late to the party but I'm having the same popping noises whenever something starts in windows. It is not all the time, but I hear it everyday; it seems to pan out exactly as @staticV3 stated.

I'm using it with a topping L30, and it can be really annoying, specially listening to voice messages in whatsapp web or telegram. Is there any workaround or firmware fix?
I believe all dongles with auto mute have the same "issue". It can be fixed by firmware and maybe driver, see here : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...os-driver-settings-for-no-cutoff-delay.25838/

Last edited:

ALC220

Anyone still have v3.0 firmware for it? Cannot find it on their website, it's weird!

It may be strange because it's a translator... 3.0 firmware comes up when I search for it, but there are two sites... It's strange. I don't know why there are two sites.

Inhuman

It may be strange because it's a translator... 3.0 firmware comes up when I search for it, but there are two sites... It's strange. I don't know why there are two sites.
thank you so much!

charleski

Major Contributor
This weekend I changed my streamer from an old Macbook to a Raspberry Pi running moOde. I'd never noticed this problem when running from the Macbook, but when fed by ALSA the Sonata HD clips when fed a 0dB signal. The solution is to reduce max volume in the ALSA settings to 96%, anything from 97-100% produces clipping with a full-scale signal. This will reduce dynamic range by 0.35dB, I think I can live with that :).

SlimCharles

I've seen many using the Tempotec connected to an additional amp satisfactory. But I wonder why doesn't that constitute double amping, as some people that I've seen on other sites claiming. And, if it is in fact double amping, why for the Tempotec doesn't mean the drawbacks it is supposed to mean (amplifying noise from the Tempotec, distortion...).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen many using the Tempotec connected to an additional amp satisfactory. But I wonder why doesn't that constitute double amping, as some people that I've seen on other sites claiming. And, if it is in fact double amping, why for the Tempotec doesn't mean the drawbacks it is supposed to mean (amplifying noise from the Tempotec, distortion...).
All dacs by definition amplify. The measurements of the SHD at 2v include all of that, as do measurements of desktop dacs. You can do a straight comparison.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I'm not mistaken, the Tempotec only has the amplification provided by the dac chip itself. It doesn't have a separate opamp (is that the right term?). So in that way, it's no different than a dedicated desktop dac.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, the Tempotec only has the amplification provided by the dac chip itself. It doesn't have a separate opamp (is that the right term?). So in that way, it's no different than a dedicated desktop dac.
Dedicated desktop DACs have Opamps between DAC chip and XLR/RCA out as well. That's why the whole "double-amping" thing is a bit silly.

Alec246

With my unit on the way from AliExpress, I have a question about USB Cables.

I see it's a Micro USB Connection on the unit. Is there any specific cable recomendation for connecting such unit to my Desktop? I will leave it connected full time, and I want it to have at least 1 meter, to be able to freely move around.

I have lots of Micro USB Cables lying around, but beside the Snake Oil Cables, i wonder if there is a good one regards shielding, good quality connection, etc which doesnt cost a fortune? Or it wouldn't make any difference?

NeoToad

Got my Sonata HD Pro (Android version) couple of days ago from Tempotec Official Ali store and almost immediately re-flashed it with BHD firmware to force high-gain mode. Dongle stopped producing any audio afterwards despite being recognized by both Windows and Android. Re-flashing back to 3.0 and 1.0(A) HD Pro firmware didn't help. One thing I've noticed is that initial device name was "TT USB AUDIO" and after re-flashing it changed to "SONATA USB Audio" or something. So I've googled "TT USB AUDIO" and found out that this is the device name of SONATA HD III. I've downloaded and flashed it's firmware, and bingo! Audio was working again.

Not sure what's going here. Maybe they silently released new revision which shares firmware with HD III or maybe this is literally HD III in HD Pro case. Or maybe I just got "lucky". I've contacted seller asking for original firmware before I figured it out myself but there's no response yet.
I've basically registered to post this here and hopefully save someone else some time and nerves. If somebody knows a way to figure out if this is indeed full-featured HD III, let me know.

Last edited:

taudier

Got my Sonata HD Pro (Android version) couple of days ago from Tempotec Official Ali store and almost immediately re-flashed it with BHD firmware to force high-gain mode. Dongle stopped producing any audio afterwards despite being recognized by both Windows and Android. Re-flashing back to 3.0 and 1.0(A) HD Pro firmware didn't help. One thing I've noticed is that initial device name was "TT USB AUDIO" and after re-flashing it changed to "SONATA USB Audio" or something. So I've googled "TT USB AUDIO" and found out that this is the device name of SONATA HD III. I've downloaded and flashed it's firmware, and bingo! Audio was working again.

Not sure what's going here. Maybe they silently released new revision which shares firmware with HD III or maybe this is literally HD III in HD Pro case. Or maybe I just got "lucky". I've contacted seller asking for original firmware before I figured it out myself but there's no response yet.
I've basically registered to post this here and hopefully save someone else some time and nerves. If somebody knows a way to figure out if this is indeed full-featured HD III, let me know.
you bought SONATA HD III ? idk...

NeoToad

you bought SONATA HD III ? idk...
Nah. Can record and post video as well, if anyone is interested in something specific. Btw I've noticed that I can connect it to USB and insert headphones later on. It works without issues. I remember reading that this won't work with original HD Pro - you need to connect it to USB with headphones in already.
IMG_20220508_165244.jpg

taudier

Nah. Can record and post video as well, if anyone is interested in something specific. Btw I've noticed that I can connect it to USB and insert headphones later on. It works without issues. I remember reading that this won't work with original HD Pro - you need to connect it to USB with headphones in already.
Ah thank you !

Sonata HD III is strangely also micro usb, it could be they have an excess of HD pro enclosures.

Alec246

Guys. I purchased what I thought was a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, but turns out its actually a HD III. Are these different units in Spec? Im very confused now :/

Alec246

Have you tried visiting Tempotec's website?
Both the HD Pro and HD III are listed there with their respective specs:
https://www.tempotec.net/
Was doing just that. It uses a ES9218 DAC instead of the Cirrus CS43131.

They got me because of this description.

TempoTec Sonata HD III/Sonata HD 3 /New Sonata HD PRO (Android version / iOS version)

So a replacement, which i have no idea if it actually is! Nobody did measurement on this one so far it seems

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a puzzle for sure but short of cracking it open and looking for the different dac chip im not sure you'll ever know for sure.

Update firmware on this range of devices at your peril it would seem.

Alec246

After checking Specs, it seems my Sonata HD III is a worse DAC in all aspects than the HD Pro, so I will check if ALiExpress allows me to send it back, didnt even open the unit. The New HD Pro Slogan seems to be a bad marketing move

Top Bottom