• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Phone Headphone Dongle Review

Jake71

One could interpret that you were talking about, you know, the graph called "Intermodulation distortion". No need to be snarky.

Calm down, I was just trying to be helpful, your original reply indicated you were not aware that the result of the multitone test is known as intermodulation distortion.

We are just here to have a good time discussing a hobby.

somy

Hi @amirm, thanks for the review, hope we have more options such small DAC.
I look into one option - Hilidac Beam 2 with MQA support. Talked a little with the guy who designed it, and based on his measurement the SINAD is above 110, while still be able to deliver 240mw with 32ohm. Looks like a competitor to the popular 9038s and it even comes with both SE and balanced output. The designer said that he sent you a sample for testing already. Hope we’ll see a test soon :) thanks for the hard work and I wouldn’t buy anything if not tested by you.

somy

Hmmm. It doesn't ring a bell but my memory is not what it used to be. :)
This guy (maybe it’s still on its way to you): https://www.hilidac.com/product-page/beam-2-mqa-dsd-mini-dac
You reviewed the original beam 1 which is not impressive in anyway:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-audirect-beam-and-aq-dragonfly.5455/
All reviews that I can find say beam 2 is a massive improvement to first generation. I’m particularly interested in it’s Mqa capability and high power.

DanTheMan

The cables on this are not nearly as robust as the Apple dongle FWIW. Mine broke in under a week and I have 3 Apple dongles that are years old. Never had an Apple dongle break, but I do misplace them occasionally which is why I presently have 3. All together I’ve purchased 4 now. At least they are cheap I guess... Still bitter about the whole dongle thing.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Definitely not to be confused with the Hidizs S8 or its OEM twin, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Im not sure of the chronology of all the Sonata devices and their various other branded versions but if this is the most recent, I am not sure why they bothered.

Long time reader, first time responding. That said, is it safe to say the Hidizs Sonata HD (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2DTTGT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the tempotec are the same, with different branding?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@IVX I wonder how this dongle measures without the unbalanced ground loop issue... Have you measured it?

Top Bottom