• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Phone Headphone Dongle Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Tempotec Sonata HD USB-C DAC and headphone amplifier. A member kindly donated the $30 for me to buy it from Amazon for testing.

The Sonata HD (not to be confused with the Pro version) has a premium look compared to $9 ones you get from phone companies:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android stereo review.jpg

The braided cord is nice and soft but seems very delicate. Someone in Amazon review said that it shorted out already (?).

Typical of these products, they only turn on if they have a load. Upon plugging it in on Windows, it activated and was usable there. Alas, a number of my test results were weird and I found out that out of the box it only exposed 48 kHz sampling rate. They have firmware to enable the rest of the functionality which I downloaded and wrote to its EEPROM. Alas, other than exposing the rest of the sample rates, it had no effect on performance of the device:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Sample Rates Supp...png

Tempotec Sonata HD Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard, treating the device if it were a DAC:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Audio Measurements.png

Well, this is disappointing on multiple fronts. First and foremost, it only has 1 volt output. This translates to low output playback level with high impedance headphones (think Sennheiser HD-650). Distortion is high resulting in an "OK" SINAD score:

best headphone dongle USB-C review 2020.png

Company advertises very high dynamic range but I could not remotely get close to their number:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Dynamic Range Aud...png

Maybe that is a chip spec rather than actual device (or unknown filtering is used).

Multitone performance was really poor and strange:
TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Multitone Audio M...png

Jitter performance is not at all desktop class but for a dongle, not bad:
TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Jitter Audio Meas...png

IMD test shows good distortion levels at higher amplitudes:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android IMD Audio Measure...png

Power is everything in a headphone dongle so let's see how it does:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Power into 300 oh...png

I like the low noise and no clipping behavior but 3.5 milliwatts is just not that loud. My standard for desktop products is 100 milliwatts by the way. Here is the ranking for this:

Best phone headphone dongle review adapter 2020 300 ohm.png

The situation is not that different for 33 ohm load:

TempoTec Sonata HD Type C to 3.5mm Portable Audio Mini DAC Headphone Android Power into 33 ohm...png

Best phone headphone dongle review adapter 2020 33 ohm.png

Tempotec Sonata HD Headphone Listening Tests
I tested the Sonata HD using my Sennheiser HD-650. There was just enough loudness to be usable in a quiet environment. I compared that output to the native output of my Samsung S8+ and the volume was essentially the same.

Conclusions
My rule for headphone dongles is simple: aim for one with 2 volt output. If this is not specified or is less than this, walk away. There are plenty of choices with 2 volt output. This will give you the ability to drive many headphones otherwise you are limited to sensitive headphones.

The Tempotec Sonata HD misses the above mark so I can't recommend it.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Our non-stop canning routine continues. Running out of space to store all these jars! Had to empty a shelf in the kitchen to free up space:

Mixed Vegitable pickles.jpg

My wife doesn't like to eat sour stuff so it is up to me to consume all of this! And this is a fraction of what we have canned. Oh well. Couldn't let the stuff rot and go to waste.

Went to empty the RV tanks and realized it still had anti-freeze in it from last year! We have not used the thing due to Covid. :( Made me depressed. If you want me to feel better, please donating generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bless properly sleeved cables. I absolutely hate these braided designs.
It the strain reliefs are sturdy, I like their flexibility, otherwise, like in this case, I agree, they are a pass.

Reactions: wje

Tks

Major Contributor
It the strain reliefs are sturdy, I like their flexibility, otherwise, like in this case, I agree, they are a pass.
The problem is, many are so pliable that strain relief is the place they will give out. And its not like you get proper strain relief anyway because the 3 ring strain relief is usually merged with the cable itself, but this doesn't allow that due to gaps in the geometry.

These companies really ought call Sennheisers supplier. Supply, pliable, really unoffensive to touch, and sturdy with proper relief.

Veri

Master Contributor
That's a lot of intermodulation distortion, yikes.
Pretty standard for an average dongle, look at the razer to compare. I'd personally be more concerned about the terrible multitone!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely not to be confused with the Hidizs S8 or its OEM twin, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Im not sure of the chronology of all the Sonata devices and their various other branded versions but if this is the most recent, I am not sure why they bothered.

But for $30, if your current dongle breaks and you cant get a better option in a pinch and want to use it on IEM or easier to drive over ears, no doubt fine for public transport or office.

Zerohour

Definitely not to be confused with the Hidizs S8 or its OEM twin, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Im not sure of the chronology of all the Sonata devices and their various other branded versions but if this is the most recent, I am not sure why they bothered.

iirc, this is much, much older. I've seen these recommended early last year, if I'm not mistaken. The Pro is the newer model.

Top Bottom