• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tell me your best preamp

sumyugm

I using pre main amp TEAC AX-505 with Topping E70 DAC. Speaker is B&W 805D3.

I will buy Hypex new power amp module. So I consider about preamp. Could you recommend some preamp?
If it’s has 12v trigger in/out is best.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I using pre main amp TEAC AX-505 with Topping E70 DAC. Speaker is B&W 805D3.

I will buy Hypex new power amp module. So I consider about preamp. Could you recommend some preamp?
If it’s has 12v trigger in/out is best.
Why even getting a pre-amp, just another piece, costing money and not adding anything.

Just connect the Topping directly to the power amps via XLR (balanced) cables. The Topping has volume control, a remote, 12V trigger out and is able to put out 4V RMS, has volume which will drive most power amps very very nicely.

The only reason for a pre-amp I can think of, if you want to connect different sources to your power amps and switch between them. But if you only run everything through the Topping, no need for a pre-amp.

technophreak

In my setup, multiple sources to consider: Dac, cd player, turntable and phono pre, Bluetooth, tape deck...

I'm currently using a discontinued Emotiva XSP-1 second gen. It has all of the connections needed and 12v trigger for power amp. The never ending question of can I do better is always there.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Best" preamp I have owned was the Schiit Freya + in passive mode -- about a perfectly clean a signal as I can image. The sound was detailed, transparent, and dynamic. With other equipment combos I have experience significant loss of dynamics with a passive preamp, but in case of the Freya + with my upstream Topping D90 DAC and downstream VTV Purifi stereo, passive mode imposed no dynamic penalty.

That said, today I amp using a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tube preamp with an 'SE+' upgrade. No doubt the SF adds a small tincture of 2nd/3rd order harmonics but much less that most tube preamps would do. Personally I deem it a slight improvement over the "raw" sound, especially with less that great recordings.

Freya + ...
gi.mpl

Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ ...
gi.mpl

OP
S

sumyugm

The Topping has a digital volume control. I would never connect that directly to a Poweramp. If that thing ever glitches out you get 100% volume.
I think so too. I’m afraid that.

OP
S

sumyugm

"Best" preamp I have owned was the Schiit Freya + in passive mode -- about a perfectly clean a signal as I can image. The sound was detailed, transparent, and dynamic. With other equipment combos I have experience significant loss of dynamics with a passive preamp, but in case of the Freya + with my upstream Topping D90 DAC and downstream VTV Purifi stereo, passive mode imposed no dynamic penalty.

That said, today I amp using a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tube preamp with an 'SE+' upgrade. No doubt the SF adds a small tincture of 2nd/3rd order harmonics but much less that most tube preamps would do. Personally I deem it a slight improvement over the "raw" sound, especially with less that great recordings.

Freya + ...
gi.mpl

Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ ...
gi.mpl
Thanks. it’s not have trigger but looks good. Which tube do you recommend?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think this isnt an area anyone really cares about either as a user or a company

i would love a good remote controlled analog line stage preamp... and i dont even need XLR but i think this market is kind of limited

and as for people who say hook up a chinese dac straight to your poweramps? no.

I care about my speakers too much. I'm not a fan of tubes either but if you had a preamp that could disable or enable tubes as needed then I dont see the problem... I do get that some people like the distortion than a preamp may add to the signal...

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. it’s not have trigger but looks good. Which tube do you recommend?
Do you mean best tube for the Freya + (in tube mode), or the Sonic Frontier's?

For the former I only ever used the Tung Sol tubes include at the time; for the latter I recommend the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922. The selection of 6922/E88CC tube is very large and a plus for preamps that use this sort of tube. I tried current tubes from JJ, Reflector, and Electro-Harmonix, and vintage Siemens and Amperex 6922 'PQ' USA white label. What the individual may prefer depends on personal taste: the least "tube-like" were the Siemens and Reflector, the most, the Amperex PQ's.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think my next preamp will be a Benchmark HPA4. You really can’t do better.
I have a Schiit SYS. Very simple passive. I used it in a room where I have two turntables, one with a mono MM cart and the other with a stereo MC cart, and a single phono stage that had only a single MM input. Made it easier to switch between the two (used a SUT between the MC ‘table and the SYS). But the MM cart had the treble rolled off too much. I think maybe the PCB in the SYS had too much capacitance for the cartridge I was using.

OP
S

sumyugm

For the former I only ever used the Tung Sol tubes include at the time; for the latter I recommend the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922. The selection of 6922/E88CC tube is very large and a plus for preamps that use this sort of tube. I tried current tubes from JJ, Reflector, and Electro-Harmonix, and vintage Siemens and Amperex 6922 'PQ' USA white label. What the individual may prefer depends on personal taste: the least "tube-like" were the Reflector, the most, the Amperex PQ's.
Thanks a lot. I mean freya. Because I can't find Sonic Frontiers shop.

OP
S

sumyugm

I think my next preamp will be a Benchmark HPA4. You really can’t do better.
I have a Schiit SYS. Very simple passive. I used it in a room where I have two turntables, one with a mono MM cart and the other with a stereo MC cart, and a single phono stage that had only a single MM input. Made it easier to switch between the two (used a SUT between the MC ‘table and the SYS). But the MM cart had the treble rolled off too much. I think maybe the PCB in the SYS had too much capacitance for the cartridge I was using.
thanks. Yeah, today I went audio shop and the staff recommend that. but it was a little more expensive than the others. of course, it's cheap than Macintosh.

I only need 1 or 2 input. Just 1 XLR output. If selectable filters included, it’s better than just passive preamp like “Cello Etude”.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Streamers and DACs and even preamps with digital volume controls have been around since forever, not sure I've ever heard of one glitching. And if you worry, simply always turn on the preamp first and poweramp second.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I always run my PC/streaming volume at 98%, DAC at full and use an amp with volume control. But yes, if your amp has no pot, having at least a passive volume control in between is a good idea. If turntable not an issue, the Schiit Saga S would be a good, affordable choice, multiple inputs and remote. $300 in black finish.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot. I mean freya. Because I can't find Sonic Frontiers shop.
Well the Sonic Frontiers hasn't been made in about 25 years so you won't find any Sonic Frontiers shops :) Once in while one will come up 'Used'. With the full SE+ upgrade the price might be around US$2250.

Last edited:

Timmeon

I was on a similar search recently. I wanted to avoid multiple remotes but wanted the option to add an analog input (for a tuner) with XLR out, DAC, trigger, and a decent headphone amp. I ended up with a Benchmark DAC3 HGC, used for $1600. It's excellent. Limited products out there that fit those requirements.

Tom C

Major Contributor
thanks. Yeah, today I went audio shop and the staff recommend that. but it was a little more expensive than the others. of course, it's cheap than Macintosh.

I only need 1 or 2 input. Just 1 XLR output. If selectable filters included, it’s better than just passive preamp like “Cello Etude”.
Agreed It is a bit spendy. But, also trouble free.

Emulator II

The Topping has a digital volume control. I would never connect that directly to a Poweramp. If that thing ever glitches out you get 100% volume.
You're probably right:

OP
S

sumyugm

For the former I only ever used the Tung Sol tubes include at the time; for the latter I recommend the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922. The selection of 6922/E88CC tube is very large and a plus for preamps that use this sort of tube. I tried current tubes from JJ, Reflector, and Electro-Harmonix, and vintage Siemens and Amperex 6922 'PQ' USA white label. What the individual may prefer depends on personal taste: the least "tube-like" were the Siemens and Reflector, the most, the Amperex PQ's.
Could you tell me which tube did you select at order?

1. Matched 6N8S
2. Premium Matched 6SN7(is this tung-sol?)
3. LISST(you were not tried)

Top Bottom