• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton Impact review disaster (NRD)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless of what one thinks of the speaker, the review is such a train wreck it's worth watching the first 10 min if you don't want to watch the 45 that it is. Oh, reading the comments is good too.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I stopped at "installed a camera in the port". That's 29 seconds in... Aren't supposed to watch videos at work anyway; YouTube was blocked so the fact it even started is a little amazing (sure IT will fix that little loophole soon).

Daverz

Major Contributor
The punchline (I may not be understanding this right, I didn't watch the whole thing), is that the guy was paid by Tekton for a review and then had some kind of falling out with Tekton over how the review went. The guy actually did quite a few measurements, but I'm not sure why we should forgive the lapse in ethics.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol this is 42 minutes long. Pass. Made it 2 minutes in. I scrubbed through, found some measurement graphs and they look absolutely horrific. But that IS assuming he performed them correctly, which is probably in doubt. That speaker company has a real boatload of skus. Are any of them known to be decent? They sure have a lot of drivers...

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All those tweeters! Inspired by nature? :D
crop.jpg

BillG

Major Contributor
That speaker company has a real boatload of skus. Are any of them known to be decent? They sure have a lot of drivers...

I personally don't know. However, I've corresponded with someone who acquired some variant of them recently, and he's complaining about them not sounding very good in his room. Granted, that could be due to the room's acoustics, though... :rolleyes:

invaderzim

.... that the guy was paid by Tekton for a review ....

I guess I may need to watch the video at some point but just can't bring myself to do it yet. But that calls into question both his ethics and the companies. I know a lot of the reviewers get something in exchange for the review even if it is just having equipment sent to them for free to review or getting a discount on the equipment or getting it for free but an actual paycheck for the review is pretty slimy.

Although realizing that companies can be made or broken by reviewers on youtube brings into question how impartial any youtube review can be because there is just so much riding on it for the companies and for that matter the reviewer because they need more products to review.

found some measurement graphs and they look absolutely horrific. But that IS assuming he performed them correctly, which is probably in doubt.

Hard to imagine they were done properly.

That speaker company has a real boatload of skus. Are any of them known to be decent?

I wonder how that works for them. I looked at their speakers once and it made it really confusing. Going to their product page has 53 links to different speakers. For most of their speakers they have only 1 picture and on the ones that have more than 1 picture most of them are the same angle just different colors. I couldn't even see what hookup options their subwoofers had.

A lot of companies seem to think customers having a massive amount of choices is great but it can lead to confusion and hesitation to complete the purchase. That then leads to them ending up at another company that offers one choice that the they say is "the best choice at this size and price" which the customer then buys with the confidence that they made the right choice.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of companies seem to think customers having a massive amount of choices is great but it can lead to confusion and hesitation to complete the purchase. That then leads to them ending up at another company that offers one choice that the they say is "the best choice at this size and price" which the customer then buys with the confidence that they made the right choice.
I've always admired the way Apple do the opposite of this, and wondered why others haven't copied or more, as it clearly works for them.

invaderzim

I've always admired the way Apple do the opposite of this, and wondered why others haven't copied or more, as it clearly works for them.

I'm going to guess because the other companies had consultants tell them that if they make enough slightly different products then everyone will buy one of theirs.

Instead people are left wondering if an E5 is better than a G4 or a X3 or maybe a Z3 and what does adding play to the name change?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some interesting designs out there using small drivers in arrays to perform like big drivers, but Tekton is not among them. It is a sound idea, however, and the continued existence of this manufacturer demonstrates something in the sound which consumers like - probably the headroom which comes with pro drivers or big arrays of drivers.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to guess because the other companies had consultants tell them that if they make enough slightly different products then everyone will buy one of theirs.
Doing it the Apple way means product managers need to make decisions about what features are in the product this year, and which are out. And they can be held to account for making the wrong decision, where releasing 50 products with seemingly randomised features leaves it to the market.
I think one of the other slightly hidden clever things with the Apple approach is they know the parts they are ordering, so can negotiate hard on price, rather than have to guess what percentage will need widget X, and how much Y or Z.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Lol this is 42 minutes long. Pass. Made it 2 minutes in. I scrubbed through, found some measurement graphs and they look absolutely horrific. But that IS assuming he performed them correctly, which is probably in doubt. That speaker company has a real boatload of skus. Are any of them known to be decent? They sure have a lot of drivers...
Their Pendragons sound nice. It has substantial power and scale. However I have heard better in terms of detail.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I guess I may need to watch the video at some point but just can't bring myself to do it yet.

Don't waste your time. It's a complete and utter train wreck.

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Rubber necking had to look.
Is this what "These are the days of our Hi Fi" soap box would be like? What's Eric going to do next?

I did appreciate he took them apart and showed the guts including the comments on the kind of "value" parts they were. 2K though? Wonder what the target margins were on these for Eric? Might have been better just to pay him not to review them... shrug.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nearly as bad as this train wreck: (scroll to about 45 seconds in)

https://z4r7b4b6.stackpathcdn.com/w...rone-Video-Train-Derailment-Mercer-MO.mp4?_=1

Or this 268 car ore train wreck in Australia:

PS, The driver apparently got out to inspect a faulty brake issue and after 2 hours inspecting the 2km+ long train, the emergency brakes released (time out) and the train (four engines) took off without him. The runaway train did 90km in 50 minutes before they de-railed it in a siding from the remote control centre. The driver got sacked and then filed an unfair dismissal claim.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I did appreciate he took them apart and showed the guts including the comments on the kind of "value" parts they were.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with those crossovers. They looked to be neatly and carefully constructed.

Top Bottom