• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton Impact review disaster (NRD)

Music1969

Major Contributor

Page one of that review has a pic of what JA measured:

1565310459654.png

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ignoring the first 15 minutes of the review, and the backpedaling, what you're left with is a OK and honest review from Ron for a pretty basic speaker design that Eric Alexander has dressed up with his ridiculous patents and claims of 'moving mass' and other nonsense. Mcintosh has been using the exact same principle of his speakers for decades now.

I'm one of the few people I suppose who really enjoyed Ron's older reviews. His 'comeback' was a bit disappointing, he seemed all over the place trying to find a new format which worked. It doesn't seem like he's much closer to getting there. I do like his excellent production values, though.

It's funny. When he took the the 2 minutes of the 47 minute review to actually express what he was hearing, he basically described the sonic signature of the eminence drivers being used in the speaker and nothing else. Those drivers are cheap, 2 dollars a pop, but I think even a basic DIY'er could create something that measures better then this.

D

Deleted member 2944

At least he's not charging and arm and leg for those creepy looking speakers. His speaker design prowess is obviously in question and he's a very thin-skinned fella, but I give him credit for not catering to the crazy ($$$) extremes of the audiophile demographic.

Dave.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Ignoring the first 15 minutes of the review, and the backpedaling, what you're left with is a OK and honest review from Ron for a pretty basic speaker design that Eric Alexander has dressed up with his ridiculous patents and claims of 'moving mass' and other nonsense. Mcintosh has been using the exact same principle of his speakers for decades now.

I'm one of the few people I suppose who really enjoyed Ron's older reviews. His 'comeback' was a bit disappointing, he seemed all over the place trying to find a new format which worked. It doesn't seem like he's much closer to getting there. I do like his excellent production values, though.

It's funny. When he took the the 2 minutes of the 47 minute review to actually express what he was hearing, he basically described the sonic signature of the eminence drivers being used in the speaker and nothing else. Those drivers are cheap, 2 dollars a pop, but I think even a basic DIY'er could create something that measures better then this.
Really 2 dollars?
He also has Seas and Berrilyium options for not a whole lot more on some of his models.

garbulky

Major Contributor
At least he's not charging and arm and leg for those creepy looking speakers. His speaker design prowess is obviously in question and he's a very thin-skinned fella, but I give him credit for not catering to the crazy ($$$) extremes of the audiophile demographic.

Dave.
If you see them in person, even if the speaker itself sounded like butt, I doubt you'd think you'd have been robbed. They are impressive looking and the finish thick and impeccable. He'll also paint it in any color you want. I'm not sure how he maintains those price margins. The Pendragons, though not my cup of tea due to their tonal signature, were quite fantastic and was able to bring the house down. It was played in a very large living room and I felt like the speaker was just loafing at any volume level. Though his designs are outlandish, there's no denying (at least one of them) sounds pretty good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mrkennyk

Hmmmmm.....SB tweet-$60 x 10 = $600. Cheap Eminence 8" mid-$60 x 2 = $120. Cheap Eminence 10" woofer-$140 x 2 = $280. $1000 in drivers per pair. Profit is shrinking.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's nuts, he ruins unknown amounts of railroad gear and they have to pay him off. :mad:

Tks

Major Contributor
Man the level on unease he goes through at sections like 20:00 to 22:00 is off the charts. "we're just going to say that, and that's the end of that" "so that is the end of this conversation".

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It was incredible tap dance. Mid-range is harsh. No it isn't. I never said it was. Oh, yes I did. The mid-range is harsh. Oh, it is the upper mid-range. But you will really love it and not even notice the harsh mid-range. Oh, I shouldn't have said the mid-range is harsh. It is the upper-mid-range that is harsh. But it isn't. Then it doesn't play electric guitar well. Maybe it is just me....

Man, how do you say all these contradictory these things over and over again?

He should have just made a short review without all the drama and move on.

newmedia

Speaker he reviewed sounded good except one area of frequency. The owner of the speaker company made big issue out of it. Far as I can tell , Tekton double impact speakers are most reviewed and best selling. I was able to hear the double impacts, it has type of sound that is different from other speakers. It really does offer live sound stage , many reviewers call it "fun" sound. Many people would not like this type of sound presentation. The other noticeable is powerful bass on the double impact speakers.

Top Bottom