• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teeny tiny people playing teeny tiny instruments.

OP
F

formula 977

I first saw your post on my phone and had to zoom in to read the text because it looked all distorted and noisy. Then I zoomed in and could see that the font and text were perfectly constructed and clear as a bell. Then I grabbed my ipad to look at the post and could easily read it as is.

Andysu

Major Contributor
rainbow shows how to pluck your instrument lol (so wrong) lol

Andysu

Major Contributor
There is another member on the forum who loves cats more than you do.
Andysu says, “no way, man” :)
they are little beasts that play instruments with their meowing .

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This is a reasonably accurate description of what I hear and have heard over the years no matter the equipment used. A question of scale not accuracy.

Do you get the same impression?
Nope.
Stop by sometime.

Last edited:

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I really miss the Old British sense of humor. Its kind of like what they did in Willy Wonka. Most kids would have Zero Idea what this was all about. But your Mum would get a good chuckle while cleaning up yet another mess you made in the kitchen.
I needed a good laugh. THanks Andy!
rainbow shows how to pluck your instrument lol (so wrong) lol

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a reasonably accurate description of what I hear and have heard over the years no matter the equipment used. A question of scale not accuracy.

Do you get the same impression?

No.

I mean, yes to a degree - instruments tend to sound "reductive" in reproduced sound (or at the scale of most consumer audio systems). But I very often have the sensation of
life-sized scenes and instruments. Though it can often take the character of peering through space to those instruments (e.g. symphonic instruments).

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When our ears tell us one thing and our eyes tell us another, the eyes win every time. I find that when listening in darkness, the soundscape expands in my mind enormously.

FeddyLost

In my experience, decent midbass size (8"+) means appropriate size of virtual sound sources.
At some SPL, of course, comparable to reference experience.
Smaller speakers (up to 5,25") will manage that only with constant phase and subwoofer augmentation.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
When our ears tell us one thing and our eyes tell us another, the eyes win every time. I find that when listening in darkness, the soundscape expands in my mind enormously.
Read an article a while back it stated when watching and listening the bias is 80% to 20% in favour of the visual. Tried it out with an Allen Toussaint DVD ‘Songbook’, watched and listen to it all the way through sounded great. Replayed it with the TV switched off nowhere near as good.

Last edited:
OP
F

formula 977

Speakers such as what mhardy shows is an example of a sound experience quite different from what is popularly known as accurate. I'm saying that what is possible with a system like his is the freedom from what evryone here thinks is important to good music reproduction. That being, every speaker specification shown on this or any site only matters and applies to small speakers that cannot hope to represent a live performance so things like dispersion, FR, directivity index, listening window, waveguides,you name it, address the shortcomings of an inherently defective concept by tricking you into hearing as pleasant an experience possible, not reality.

Large, low compression, high dynamic range, horn loaded, single full range speakers are so different from what is usually tested and considered by the majority to be accurate that how one works vs the other in terms of acoustics should be two totally different subjects because optimizing performance for small speakers by way of objective measurements is necessary whereas the pursuit of pinpoint accuracy in large speakers can be mostly ignored and usually is with no compromise in the overall subjective presentation.

I'm just throwing this out there to see what sticks.

Cote Dazur

A question of scale not accuracy.
What type of set up do you have, how big is your equilateral listening triangle, how far are you from the front wall?
The reason I ask is because I have 2 system set up. On in my dedicated listening room, speaker 7 feet away from the front wall, 7 feet equilateral triangle. In that system musician appear to be right size on most recordings, as it’s very recording dependent, at the right sound level, as how loud plays a big role on how “tall” the musicians appear in relation to how far and how wide the sound stage is represented.
On my second set up, in a much smaller room, 5 feet equilateral triangle, speaker about 6 feet from the front wall, the musicians, same recording, always appear smaller, as is the sound stage.
Closing my eyes always help in everything appearing to be at a more realistic size, but I only reach it in the big room.
All that said, the recording dictate the proportion, with sometime instrument/players appearing to be giant, even with the volume down.

Top Bottom