• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technology News You Can Use

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said, I find cell phone service in the USA so unbelievably bad that I don't understand why everyone hasn't already switched to Whatsapp or Viber or Telegram or Whatever or Anything but the garbage from Verizon and AT&T, please, ffs please!

My wife uses a popular app made by Tencent called WeChat. And another I forget the name. She talks to folks all over the world. The audio quality is much better than cell calls I get from across town. Pathetic. Other than not being plugged into the wall, voice reproduction is worse than when I was growing up--when phones were hard wired to a wall outlet.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My wife uses a popular app made by Tencent called WeChat. And another I forget the name. She talks to folks all over the world. The audio quality is much better than cell calls I get from across town. Pathetic. Other than not being plugged into the wall, voice reproduction is worse than when I was growing up--when phones were hard wired to a wall outlet.
Yup. I've never heard of WeChat but I'm happy to install any app, even a different one per contact, if it allows me to not use AT&Ts telephony and SMS.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup. I've never heard of WeChat but I'm happy to install any app, even a different one per contact, if it allows me to not use AT&Ts telephony and SMS.
WeChat is a Chinese thing. There might be an English version. Some people say that when using these sorts of apps, 'they' can 'spy' on you. But my take on the situation is that whenever you are on-line (or making a phone call) any 'they' can do that anytime 'they' want to. What app not to use sort of just depends who you least trust, I guess. LOL

Wombat

Master Contributor
WeChat is a Chinese thing. There might be an English version. Some people say that when using these sorts of apps, 'they' can 'spy' on you. But my take on the situation is that whenever you are on-line (or making a phone call) any 'they' can do that anytime 'they' want to. What app not to use sort of just depends who you least trust, I guess. LOL.

In China there are deletions and serious consequences re postings the Govt. doesn't like. No I am not a China 'hater', just aware of what happens.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...there are deletions and serious consequences re postings the Govt. doesn't like. ... just aware of what happens.
Let's not kid ourselves. It's that way everywhere. If it's not the government, you'll be censored by the 'privately owned' company if they don't like what you post. Everyone knows the score, and everyone knows the limits. And if they don't know it, they'll find out soon enough. It's that old saying, "To know who rules over you find out who you can't criticize." LOL

That's why I make every attempt to avoid the political stuff in my posts, here.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let's not kid ourselves. It's that way everywhere. If it's not the government, you'll be censored by the 'privately owned' company if they don't like what you post. Everyone knows the score, and everyone knows the limits. And if they don't know it, they'll find out soon enough. It's that old saying, "To know who rules over you find out who you can't criticize." LOL

Speak out and speak out loudly for what you believe
Generations of servicemen have fought and died to ensure you those rights.
Not to do so is to devalue their sacrifices.

Dimitri

"To know who rules over you find out who you can't criticize." LOL

It's nice to have a place that we can "talk about other things" rather than everyone eventually trying to "save", "convince" , "explain", "procelitize", "educate" , "persuade" or "sway" others from their own political stances.
Unfortunately there is always a lot of room for subtext between the lines.
"Class A amplifiers waste a lot of energy which is bad for the planet" is in my mind a political statement.
"Class A amplifiers waste a lot of energy which is bad for your wallet", is not :)

As for "criticizing"....only the brave (and those with their own domains) are free ;)

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's nice to have a place that we can "talk about other things" rather than everyone eventually trying to "save", "convince" , "explain", "procelitize", "educate" , "persuade" or "sway" others from their own political stances.
Unfortunately there is always a lot of room for subtext between the lines.
"Class A amplifiers waste a lot of energy which is bad for the planet" is in my mind a political statement.
"Class A amplifiers waste a lot of energy which is bad for your wallet", is not :)

As for "criticizing"....only the brave (and those with their own domains) are free
Everything is political.

What's really nice is to have a place where you can talk without political difference ruining the fun.

Davedaring

Off topic. Where do I ask when the speaker review index be updated? The last speaker was reviewed May 12....

onofno

An unknown Chinese company "AIWAYS" has sold 500 electric cars to Hertz Corsica.
Corsica is a French island located in the Mediterranean 150km offshore.

This is the car : AIWAYS U5.... Range > 400km 50% less expensive than a Tesla.

AIWAYS Europe

-Capture d’écran 2020-08-19 à 20.11.13.png

Last edited:

John Done

As for today's technology development - in the UK satellites for Earth observing from different parts of the world are produced. They help us checking the weather status in order to be prepared for hurricanes or monitoring deforestation using satellite technology. Just imagine that the police can get a signal if the poacher can cut trees or if there is a fire in the forest thus helping us saving the woods. From tracking endangered species to documenting the condition of the planet, satellites are aiding the scientific communities around the world to create a holistic perspective of life on Earth through the eyes of wildlife. For example, recently the scientists have penguins from space — new colonies discovered.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Didn't really want to start a new thread about this... How ever its a interesting read. A blast from the past that's still to advanced to be used widely in consumer device's acoustic waves radio or acousto-electric amplifier if you wish which you can grow. Actually you can't grow it (nano tube cristal structure) and neither can they (on large scale) and that's why we won't see it in consumer grade products anytime soon. :);)
https://phys.org/news/2021-06-world-smallest-acoustic-amplifier-emerges.html

jasonsgur

WeChat is a Chinese thing. There might be an English version. Some people say that when using these sorts of apps, 'they' can 'spy on you. But my take on the situation is that whenever you are on-line (or making a phone call) any 'they' can do that anytime 'they' want to. What app not to use sort of just depends who you least trust, I guess. LOL

Interesting thought.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For years we fought for laws it making illegal for law enforcement agency's to plant bugs in our homes except under extreme circumstances that require a judge to review and issue a warrant or whatever.
Now half the country is putting Google or Alexa spy's in there own homes, DUH

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For years we fought for laws it making illegal for law enforcement agency's to plant bugs in our homes except under extreme circumstances that require a judge to review and issue a warrant or whatever.
Now half the country is putting Google or Alexa spy's in there own homes, DUH
Stick to open source when you can, disappear when you need and disable what you can and when you really don't need it is best you can do.

eas

Researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev have demonstrated a novel way to spy on electronic conversations. A new paper released today outlines a novel passive form of the TEMPEST attack called Glowworm, which converts minute fluctuations in the intensity of power LEDs on speakers and USB hubs back into the audio signals that caused those fluctuations.

The Cyber@BGU team—consisting of Ben Nassi, Yaron Pirutin, Tomer Gator, Boris Zadov, and Professor Yuval Elovici—analyzed a broad array of widely used consumer devices including smart speakers, simple PC speakers, and USB hubs. The team found that the devices' power indicator LEDs were generally influenced perceptibly by audio signals fed through the attached speakers.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/new-glowworm-attack-recovers-audio-from-devices-power-leds/

daniel_chris

INDIAN-ORIGIN technology executive Parag Agrawal has been appointed as the new CEO of Twitter after the social media giant’s co-founder Jack Dorsey stepped down on Monday (29).

In a message posted on Twitter, Dorsey said: “After almost 16 years of having a role at our company… from co-founder to CEO to Chair to Exec Chair to interim-CEO to CEO… I decided it’s finally time for me to leave. Why? “There’s a lot of talk about the importance of a company being “founder-led”.

READ MORE

Top Bottom