• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technology News You Can Use

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Solid engineering and planning is key to performance and reliability, in audio as in architecture/construction, structures and implementations. ... maintenance, smart decision-making, all that safety jazz ...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/random-canadian-finds-the-smoking-gun-in-florida-bridge-collapse

No traffic disruption while working, testing, erecting, tensioning and collapsing.
That way, with the traffic going underneath less delays and lost of money...consequently.
Lives matter, right.

Methinks that when lives are lost because of negligence whoever are responsible should be accountable and punished proportionally in consequence. It's smart common sense and balance of justice in a democratic country with advanced technologies and intelligent and responsible citizens of any developed country above the third world countries.

This is only my opinion and it does not reflect the people's ignorance and lack of accountability and responsibility.

* The problem here was right there in front of our own very eyes for all to see.
No need for a rocket scientist to add one plus two plus three equals sick six.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is Big News .. This was due to happen. Yet .... Where are the regulators? .. Are w moving toward a one-company one-party government system ??? !!! :(...
This is a dark, sad day for the US and the World ..
Read here

:D

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is Big News .. This was due to happen. Yet .... Where are the regulators? .. Are w moving toward a one-company one-party government system ??? !!! :(...
This is a dark, sad day for the US and the World ..
Read here

:D

While the super long HK-Zhuhai-Macau bridge built by evil deplorable communists survived Typhoon Mangkhut without a scratch.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

TimW

Major Contributor
Amazon announces new "Echo Companion" devices including a voice controlled streamer comparable to the CCA and two high end looking products, a network connected preamp and amp.

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-echo-hardware-2018/

Also Schiit released a new DAC, the Modi 3.

http://www.schiit.com/about/news/99-modi-3-redefines-the-2-figure-dac

Schiit claims that "Modi 3 is the first product developed using new investments in Audio Precision and Avermetrics test equipment, which has helped it to be the best-performing DAC Schiit has ever offered, when using conventional metrics." I have attached their full APx555 report which is provided on the product page under specs.

Attachments

• Schiit DAC APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Modi 3.pdf
    922.2 KB · Views: 175

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon announces new "Echo Companion" devices including a voice controlled streamer comparable to the CCA and two high end looking products, a network connected preamp and amp.

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-echo-hardware-2018/
The 2.1 Echo thing will be interesting to see how good it is, for normal people not us nutters. A sub with a 6" driver and 100W isn't really a sub, but should go much lower than most people are used to.

The Smokester

I wonder if there's more to it that that. Is Microsoft going to re-enter the cell phone market? I'm typing this reply on a 13.3" Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS laptop. Big deal, you say, but it has a Qualcom Snapdragon 845 (ARM) processor running a version of Windows call Windows 10 S Mode. The battery lasts over 20 hours. Really. It has built-in LTE (which is originally why I bought it to replace a failing S3 tablet.)

Aside from it's advantages, it really is a work in process. Windows 10 S Mode to work with an ARM processor has been the main problem. I hadn't seen a BSOD in many years but saw one about once or twice a day when I first purchased this thing. Also, it is a 2-in-1, so it switches from a laptop to tablet when folded over...Initially, when you switched it back would just get confused so a reboot was required.

These problems are slowly being resolved with a continuous stream of system updates from Microsoft and lately this machine has been fairly stable.

Another limitation is that it will only run applications from the special Microsoft S Mode App Store and will not run x64 apps. Full versions of windows are available, my password locker LastPass is, the obscure PredictWind Offshore (a blue water sailing router for low bandwidths) is, but my vpn PIA and many other common apps are not. App availability is hit and miss.

The advantage of all this is you get a (nearly) Windows 10 machine always connected (LTE/WiFi), multi-day battery life and instant on (just like your phone!).

In fact, it IS a phone, running Windows 10, but right now in a laptop form factor. So, I'm wondering if Microsoft plans to re-enter the cell phone market?

Primare Knob

I wonder if there's more to it that that. Is Microsoft going to re-enter the cell phone market? I'm typing this reply on a 13.3" Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS laptop. Big deal, you say, but it has a Qualcom Snapdragon 845 (ARM) processor running a version of Windows call Windows 10 S Mode. The battery lasts over 20 hours. Really. It has built-in LTE (which is originally why I bought it to replace a failing S3 tablet.)

Aside from it's advantages, it really is a work in process. Windows 10 S Mode to work with an ARM processor has been the main problem. I hadn't seen a BSOD in many years but saw one about once or twice a day when I first purchased this thing. Also, it is a 2-in-1, so it switches from a laptop to tablet when folded over...Initially, when you switched it back would just get confused so a reboot was required.

These problems are slowly being resolved with a continuous stream of system updates from Microsoft and lately this machine has been fairly stable.

Another limitation is that it will only run applications from the special Microsoft S Mode App Store and will not run x64 apps. Full versions of windows are available, my password locker LastPass is, the obscure PredictWind Offshore (a blue water sailing router for low bandwidths) is, but my vpn PIA and many other common apps are not. App availability is hit and miss.

The advantage of all this is you get a (nearly) Windows 10 machine always connected (LTE/WiFi), multi-day battery life and instant on (just like your phone!).

In fact, it IS a phone, running Windows 10, but right now in a laptop form factor. So, I'm wondering if Microsoft plans to re-enter the cell phone market?
What Microsoft is trying to do with this is a bit unclear, but the two articles I have poster are possibly closely related to each other.

Microsoft is converting it's business model from manufacturer/retailer to manufacturer/service provider.

The phone most likely will be running Android with a UI/app deployment geared around all the Microsoft services.
It could potentially be the first device that is going to run the Microsoft Virtual Desktop, which should become a competitor to Chrome OS.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The move to more cloud like services has been mooted for years. We may end up going back to something we had at the beginning of computing where we had several terminals connected to a main frame only with wires replaced by internet connection and a handful of terminals replaced by millions of powerful devices.
I don't use cloud services since 2 of the places I am regularly have no phone signal and one of those only a very slow internet connection so it is pretty useless for me.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use cloud services since 2 of the places I am regularly have no phone signal and one of those only a very slow internet connection so it is pretty useless for me.
Cloud seems mostly geared to business. And business people on the go. For the individual stay at home user, I don't really see the need for a cloud backup. I guess if your house catches fire and burns to the ground. In that situation, it would be handy. Or, you could remember to grab your Western Digital Passport backup drive as you run out of your house.

Today's software model seems to turn on subscriptions. Whether it be for software, storage, or other services. I don't subscribe. I have a copy of MS Office Enterprise I bought for five or ten dollars through my work-Microsoft Home Use Plan. Technically I was supposed to turn in the license when I retired, but I kept the install key and EXE file. I've used it ever since I cleaned out my desk. If MS calls and wants it back I'll switch to Open Office, or the other one. I'm not subscribing to the MS on-line thing, although that's what they want everyone to do.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just prior to end of the year, my auto insurance company offered everyone a free Amazon Echo Auto. I looked and couldn't figure out what I would use it for vs the phone I have. I wasn't even going to get it for free. I did get it as my sister is interested in trying it out. So far it is still sitting in the box in which it arrived.

I'll admit I also felt a bit paranoid that my insurer was so interested in me having one. Maybe they'd track my driving habits? Definitely not good for my rates if I had it in a Lambo.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just prior to end of the year, my auto insurance company offered everyone a free Amazon Echo Auto. I looked and couldn't figure out what I would use it for vs the phone I have. I wasn't even going to get it for free. I did get it as my sister is interested in trying it out. So far it is still sitting in the box in which it arrived.

I'll admit I also felt a bit paranoid that my insurer was so interested in me having one. Maybe they'd track my driving habits? Definitely not good for my rates if I had it in a Lambo.
I have a weird aversion to voice activation.
I don't like making phone calls either and hate background music, I suppose its the Asperger's.
I have had a voice activation system in my car since 2005 but rarely think to use it. I have never registered any of the voice activation features of any device I own and leave them firmly off.
Mind you I try as much as possible to be Google free, given their record.
I am sure having any device monitoring my driving in the past would not have reduced my premiums, I was always in such a hurry.
100mph was the speed at which one used to lose the licence here so I set the cruise control at 99mph on the motorway, but usually went on back roads where you could get away with faster since fewer police.
I am in no hurry now and am more bothered by the cost of fuel than saving a few minutes.

Top Bottom