• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technology News You Can Use

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was taking some electronics classes in the 90's they had a few machines in their lab that used this magnetic core memory.

220px-KL_Kernspeicher_Makro_1.jpg

Here is a less close up version.

260px-Ferrite_core_memory.jpg

This is a 4 kbyte board. About 4 inches square. It still worked and was from the late 1950's or early 1960's.

Then there was rope magnetic core memory that was read only. The software was woven into the rope of cores.

220px-Apollo_guidiance_computer_ferrit_core_memory.jpg

Here is a video about weaving the software rope.

I probably need to start a company that uses this tech in a truly purist DAC. Much better sound no doubt whatsoever. Hand woven memory and software has to beat machine made bits. Proving once again, bits aren't bits.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
That is an unavoidable trend. But a bit early to speculate about S9!

Sounds like a hurricane's path. The top meteorologists give their predictions two weeks in advance. Go Pro new cameras can do 240fps and for only few squids. Super slow motion in Samsung phones is no big speculation.

Holographic phones are already here. Next there will be accurate hurricane's path prediction applications for your phone. It'll save our families' lives.

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
What I am waiting for in the next useful iteration of computer technology is Write-Only-Memory, WOM. Think about it! But, I think we have approached the limits of ROM and other traditional, readable storage technologies. This will be especially important in advancing the now primitive artificial intelligence technology, because in function it is exactly equivalent of the way my brain works. So, this will be the next broad technology paradigm.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Content addressable memory.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Methinks that chips will be all the AI rage, implemented in the back of our necks, right behind the brain. With them chips we'll be able to communicate on a higher level, with less prejudices and less harm. It will be like the UN working for world's peace.

We will be able to speak directly with anyone in the world by simply sharing our deepest thoughts.

We will become walking/talking computers, like robots. The world will be a giant open book of communication language musically and visually.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
And we will be able to instantly teletransport biological humans anywhere on the various planets and black holes of the galaxies.
That might take a while, and if climate changes permitting.

Right now we are on the right track.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I am waiting for in the next useful iteration of computer technology is Write-Only-Memory, WOM. Think about it! But, I think we have approached the limits of ROM and other traditional, readable storage technologies. This will be especially important in advancing the now primitive artificial intelligence technology, because in function it is exactly equivalent of the way my brain works. So, this will be the next broad technology paradigm.

I hear the transfer speeds on WOM are fantastic! :p

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Content addressable memory.
What about Emotional Content Addressable Memory?

I know one often needs to differentiate between the angry bits and the happy bits. Contented bits seem not to amount to much however.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And we will be able to instantly teletransport biological humans anywhere on the various planets and black holes of the galaxies.
That might take a while, and if climate changes permitting.

Right now we are on the right track.

I originally misread your post as "be able to instantly tantratransport of biological humans". You might get more interest if that were possible.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I originally misread your post as "be able to instantly tantratransport of biological humans". You might get more interest if that were possible.

upload_2017-9-20_2-34-34.png

Maybe not, unless there are levels of zero of which I'm not aware.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2 People Show Up For iPhone 8 Launch in China

iridium

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Two is infinitely better than none.

http://s4.uczzd.cn/ucnews/news?app=...original=ab2d0d18-5f68-724a-720b-222b8fda7512

Embarrassing! IPhone 8 today, Hangzhou, the sale of security are busy evacuation fence

September 22, the Bank of China iPhone 8 officially opened in the major channels. Hangzhou Apple West Lake shop, more than six in the morning to thirty or forty security. Black fence posture full of a row of rows, turn a few 90 degrees bend. 8:00 to open the door, the door on the two line up. 8:43 security guards began to withdraw fence ... ... According to Hong Kong media, and the mainland, Hong Kong, Apple shop customers have no more employees.

---

Maybe they were all at work making them.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/07/iphone-8-supply-shortages/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

When I was taking some electronics classes in the 90's they had a few machines in their lab that used this magnetic core memory.

220px-KL_Kernspeicher_Makro_1.jpg

Here is a less close up version.

260px-Ferrite_core_memory.jpg

This is a 4 kbyte board. About 4 inches square. It still worked and was from the late 1950's or early 1960's.

Then there was rope magnetic core memory that was read only. The software was woven into the rope of cores.

220px-Apollo_guidiance_computer_ferrit_core_memory.jpg

Here is a video about weaving the software rope.

I probably need to start a company that uses this tech in a truly purist DAC. Much better sound no doubt whatsoever. Hand woven memory and software has to beat machine made bits. Proving once again, bits aren't bits.

This is my first encounter with a computer memory ...

032wZ1bzv1U1
032wZ1bzv1U1

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow, quite an embarrassment for Apple.

They'll probably hire some StreetPeople™ next time for any stores statistically analyzed to possibly be problematic in the area of frenzied attendance.

They might hire one guy to set up a tent by the door a week in advance, the News folks would be all over that.

And, once you get a line going the less cerebrally endowed of us will notice and think "Whoa. A line. I better get in line too!"

Or maybe there was a communications foul-up and that store just didn't get their minimum allocation of LineSquatters™.

Or maybe, just maybe, it was a test, no paid attendees, as a control, just to see if they were spending wisely at all the other sites.

I'm sure "It will never happen again."

There will be a Memo. Then Meetings. With Planning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom