• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technology News You Can Use

astr0b0y

It’s a nice picture for sure but I just can’t go with the ‘this is a photo of an atom’ explanation. To me it’s the light given off by an atom when it’s bombarded with energy so we are seeing a lot of light particles. There’s just no way an atom is that big! The distance between the two points is about 2mm, so huge on the atomic scale. If it were 2nm I might be more convinced.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
It's just a picture, not a scientific explanation. I only posted it because it is unique, a very rare photograph of an atom, a glowing atom illuminated by a laser, an award winning photograph.

https://www.epsrc.ac.uk/newsevents/...s-science-photography-competitions-top-prize/

"When illuminated by a laser of the right blue-violet colour the atom absorbs and re-emits light particles sufficiently quickly for an ordinary camera to capture it in a long exposure photograph. The winning picture was taken through a window of the ultra-high vacuum chamber that houses the ion trap."

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I figure it is one atom, emitting enough light of its own frequencies, after laser excitation, to be seen, maybe wobbling around in its trap a bit, making the resulting image a little bigger than an atom sized pinpoint...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/atom-photograph-ion-competition

"Atoms are among the most minute building blocks of everything around us, but may feel as obscure as a distant solar system. They’re difficult to picture, thanks in part to their mind-bending dimensions—they measure 0.1 nanometers in diameter, roughly a million times narrower than a single human hair. Though they’re home to a flurry of quantum activity, we rarely get a clear picture of it."

NorthSky

Major Contributor
An audiophile EQ:

https://www.cnet.com/news/schiit-loki-breaks-a-cardinal-audiophile-rule/

For headphones listening, and even in a hi-fi stereo sound system this might be the ticket. It's true that most music recordings we buy online, on CDs, on LPs, on music downloads, on Tidal, ...have been EQued. ...And not always to taste, so why not do our own tasty EQ.

It's small, cute, and when used with judicious balance it can bring emotional tears to our heart.

* True story: Years ago, when I was much much younger I was using a quality graphic EQ, ten bands per channel.
It broke my heart to tears after I blew up both tweeters in my lovely speakers.
@ $200 a pop (each tweeter) the pain was even more emotionally charged.

But this one ain't no graphic EQ.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The iPhones are elaborate devices with improvements and new features year after year. They are much more than walkie talkies, and that includes the new iPhone X:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...phonex-problems-iphonese2-macbookpro-homepod/

Remember not long ago when Apple did something to reduce the battery's life and performance. Owners weren't too happy, and they did let know their mécontentement.

No phone is perfect, even the most expensive ones...@ over $1,000+ a pop.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I hope the S9 sells like hotcakes. We need to upgrade our phones and the S8 is too pricey. Samsung/Verizon in their infinite wisdom has a "buy one, get one free" offer I was going to use but it does not apply to our old S3 and S4 phones. Leaving the oldest customers in the dust (and those with the oldest phones ;) ) when they are most likely to need an upgrade strikes me as short-sighted. I am sure they hope to encourage more phone flips (vs. flip phones).

Dismayed

ross-password linkage between computer and Android. Hate having to re-type my user name/login in a mobile device as I had on my desktop.

There are also other cool features like shutting off GPS for background apps so that they don't consume power.

Login credentials has already been solved. I use Dashlane. Passwords are accessible from all of my devices, and it will generate strong random passwords and save them.

Top Bottom