• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SL-Q202 cart recommendation

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
For the VM540ML, I used one of the AT headshells with pre-threaded holes (either the ATLH13 or ATLH15, I don't remember), but I have an SME arm, so don't need to worry about offset angle.
Like this:
1610734664872.png

The problem would come if neither set of holes equals 52mm from the end of the arm pipe to the tip of the stylus.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Like this:
View attachment 106268

The problem would come if neither set of holes equals 52mm from the end of the arm pipe to the tip of the stylus.

Yeah, which is why I said it's not an issue for me because I use an SME arm.

SME arms set overhang and offset by sliding the base back and forth and adjusting HTA accordingly.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Probably old news now, but the 540 does seem to be amongst the best mid price MM types out there (I'm a fan of the Ortofon 2M Bronze as well, but not sure it's as 'kind' sonically to a variety of pressings, but I'm not in a position now to directly compare them). As for offset and overhang, thank Gawd for arms fixed in place like the OP's Technics, as all you need to do for sonic nirvana is decide on the inner null point using a protractor (SL1210 generation models set it at 57 - 58mm from disc centre according to a graph I have here) and don't worry about the outer one as the arc is defined by the designers of the deck in this case. Different for an SME using a third party headshell with slots in addition to the sliding baseplate (a nightmare for pro's let alone domestic amateurs.

Checking the pics of the deck, the headshell is actually quite good as long as the tonearm isn't tilting down to the headshell when playing. The old techie shell with plastic spacer/mounting plate and a single screw to undo on top for setting overhang by sliding said plate back and forth, has 'taller' for the older mid 70's fixed-height tonearms (we were a bit too snooty for the lower models by the late 70's and stayed with the SL1300/1400/1500/150mk2 quartz locked decks, sorry...). technics changed models at least annually so it's difficult to always remember individual models.

Good luck. being an enthusiastic ex-seller of Rega decks, may I suggest very careful siting of the deck away from the speakers and room corners and also, remove the lid when playing or at least lower it down, as these solid plinth types with lid hinges directly attached, can feed back terribly, the sonic degradation heard long before the 'howl-round' starts..

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Different for an SME using a third party headshell with slots in addition to the sliding baseplate (a nightmare for pro's let alone domestic amateurs.

SME alignment works great with 3rd party headshells that are slot-less (like the original SME headshell), such as the Audio Technica Technihard series.

There is only one variable to mess with -- HTA.

My M2-9R uses standard Baerwald null points.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've got like 10 pairs of spare nuts / washers.

I didn't find the round ones to be bad at all when used with a threaded headshell, which is probably what they were designed for.

I think they just thought you guys needed some challenges in setup to keep ya sharp. I sure hope the vinyl involved is worth all this effort to play....

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
threaded headshell
What does this mean? How do they look like?
I sell old parts to lower the cost of new so all my cart screws, nuts and washers are long gone.
I think nothing beats the inbuilt nut I posted in one pic. I loved that with my AT-VM95E, but that cart was underwhelming IMO.

I think they just thought you guys needed some challenges in setup to keep ya sharp. I sure hope the vinyl involved is worth all this effort to play....
Well, some of these are not digitized. Not for being exotic and preciously rare, but because they are from the former Yugoslavia and some of those record don't get much love or attention. All you have are old records.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
(we were a bit too snooty for the lower models by the late 70's and stayed with the SL1300/1400/1500/150mk2 quartz locked decks, sorry...).
Those are nice. What does snooty mean?

Anyway I don't remember posting a pic of my deck here, so I'm not sure which one you're thinking of.

This is my deck:
1610743956980.jpeg

It is also quartz locked.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Snooty: adjectiveINFORMAL
showing disapproval or contempt toward others, especially those considered to belong to a lower social class.
"snooty neighbors"

Definitions from Oxford Languages

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What does this mean? How do they look like?

They look like what you already posted in #62.

The AT-LH11, LH13, LH15, and LH18 are threaded, designed to be used with cartridges without threaded cartridge bodies.

The AT-LH11H, LH13H, LH15H, and LH18H are not threaded, because they're designed to be used with the newest AT carts that have threaded cartridge bodies (like ART9XA, OC9XML, etc.).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Oh, I don't mess with slotted headshells anymore.

My fingers are too big.

It's much easier for me to use a fixed headshell and slide the arm back and forth.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snooty: adjectiveINFORMAL
showing disapproval or contempt toward others, especially those considered to belong to a lower social class.
"snooty neighbors"

Similar:
arrogant
proud
haughty
conceited
lofty
aloof
disdainful
superior
self-important
supercilious
exclusive
snobbish
patronizing
condescending
affected
pretentious
elitist
snobby
uppity
high and mighty
la-di-da
fancy-pants
stuck-up
hoity-toity
snotty
toffee-nosed
high-hat
toplofty
Opposite:
friendly
modest
Definitions from Oxford Languages
@killdozzer his choice of word has a sarcastic overstatement of the literal meaning; the literal meaning is more like that he had more expensive tastes than people buying servo-controlled lighter-weight models of Technics turntables at the time. Maybe other people would consider him snooty for this, but he doesn't actually consider himself snooty. You can't really be snooty, consciously aware of it, and willing to admit it, because honesty and self-awareness are contradictory to snootiness.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Anyway I don't remember posting a pic of my deck here, so I'm not sure which one you're thinking of.

This is my deck:
View attachment 106292

If you keep your NAS that close to a turntable, Satan will eventually visit your home for the evil you are doing. ;)

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is my deck:
View attachment 106292

Looks sweet and I am sure it is reproducing sound well into the realm of diminishing returns. I won't be surprised if the next generation or the one after of this tier of AT cartridges does have threaded bodies. The threaded bodies are much nicer. I really like the majority of the Technics turntables with S-shaped tonearms and detachable headshells, including this one. Direct drive, reliability, and quartz lock are all bonuses. I am glad you are happy with the performance now that it is set up.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like a quartz regulated watch....not very meaningful as to the rest of the mechanism.
I would say it is potentially worthwhile as a speed control technology, just not important and no longer significantly beneficial. Now that the 60Hz coming out of the wall in the US is dead-accurate for this, devices using the mains frequency for clocks perform a lot better than 40 years ago;1970s servo speed controllers can perform better today than they could back when they were made.

Top Bottom