• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SL-Q202 cart recommendation

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
@Helicopter I love those pics. I thought bumps would beee... more pronounced, more like scratches, rugged... I suppose stylus sees them that way when they come at her at speed.

By that logic 45 should be even milder, no?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some microscope photos of an old Herb Alpert record that i haven't cleaned or playedView attachment 106491View attachment 106492View attachment 106493 yet.

So what microscope do you use? I remember reading an explanation behind a photo of vinyl with the stylus/cartridge in play and they had cut the vinyl so as to use the microscope to get the pic they wanted.....think this is from that session I'm thinking about
stylus.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a new 45.
WIN_20210116_12_50_23_Pro.jpg

Lots more space between grooves.

Here's a light grey colored new record.

WIN_20210116_12_55_21_Pro.jpg

That didn't make it look like the pic posted by @Chrispy

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what microscope do you use? I remember reading an explanation behind a photo of vinyl with the stylus/cartridge in play and they had cut the vinyl so as to use the microscope to get the pic they wanted.....think this is from that session I'm thinking about
View attachment 106507
I am using a generic USB microscope. I need to try a phone camera with the biocular microscope some time. I have been thinking about getting a good triocular microscope with a good camera, but that is low on the list. More vinyl and probably more cartridges first!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using a generic USB microscope. I need to try a phone camera with the biocular microscope some time. I have been thinking about getting a good triocular microscope with a good camera, but that is low on the list. More vinyl and probably more cartridges first!

I was wondering if it was one of those usb types....which one particularly? I was thinking of picking one up....

I wonder if the special record is lathe cut. I bet it is. Probably plexiglass.

I seem to remember it was actual vinyl in the explanation I was thinking of and think it was an electron microscope and thats part of it? Been a while....

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if it was one of those usb types....which one particularly? I was thinking of picking one up....

I seem to remember it was actual vinyl in the explanation I was thinking of and think it was an electron microscope and thats part of it? Been a while....
Jiusion 40-1000x USB from Amazon for about $20. There are a bunch that are basically the same, so I got the one that was cheapest at the time. I don't need a screen on it. I have a 4k computer monitor. The $90 ones seem to take very similar pictures. The camera app for Windows 10 is a little better than the included app unless you need to calibrate it for measurement.

Hi, guys and girls!

I need a recommendation, but you'll see my approach is somewhat different. I asked a member here, but he didn't feel comfortable giving advice so specific. He proposed to ask in VE, but those guys are even further away and way too much focused on what someone subjectively prefers.

Being someone who prefers as neutral as it gets, I'd like to ask a reccomendation for a cartridge for the Technics SL-Q202 turntable. Price-wise I'm looking for a sweet spot. Meaning, I'd see it futile to waste 1k for this deck which goes for 100$ even when it's well kept.

There's a reason why I'm stuck with it and I'm not changing it. I just need to see how good it can play. Given this is the S-shaped tonearm, much like 1200, but with 1g difference in relative mass according to manuals, what would you say is the cart that would bring this deck as close to neutral as possible and in that particular respect make it shine a get the most out of it?

Relative mass is 11g without the cartridge mounted.
If you can get the Technics EPC-206C with EPS-206 stylus in NOS or very little used condition, that would perhaps be one of the best options. "206" ( original stylus, of course ) is EXTREMELY linear - much like Ortofon 2M Black, bu it only has an elliptical stylus. It works well with normal capacitances in electrical load, does not require the capacitance to be as low as possible as required by most AT MM carts.
It is getting ever rarer and ever more expensive - it has reached the price level of new AT VM540ML. .If IGD is your prime consideration, then stick with the Micro Line stylus of AT. The same goes if part of your vcinyl collection is not exactly mint ... played on who knows what in its lifetime. Most wear on records has probably been done by playing them with an elliptical stylus. If your records are in also at leasT partially similar condition, then sticK with AT with Micro Line stylus. If your records are all pristine condition, the EPC-206C may well be the more neutral choice.
Please do note the original styli for "206" are nearing Unobtainium.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
If you can get the Technics EPC-206C with EPS-206 stylus in NOS or very little used condition, that would perhaps be one of the best options. "206" ( original stylus, of course ) is EXTREMELY linear - much like Ortofon 2M Black, bu it only has an elliptical stylus. It works well with normal capacitances in electrical load, does not require the capacitance to be as low as possible as required by most AT MM carts.
It is getting ever rarer and ever more expensive - it has reached the price level of new AT VM540ML. .If IGD is your prime consideration, then stick with the Micro Line stylus of AT. The same goes if part of your vcinyl collection is not exactly mint ... played on who knows what in its lifetime. Most wear on records has probably been done by playing them with an elliptical stylus. If your records are in also at leasT partially similar condition, then sticK with AT with Micro Line stylus. If your records are all pristine condition, the EPC-206C may well be the more neutral choice.
Please do note the original styli for "206" are nearing Unobtainium.
Thank you very much for the effort and time you put into this. In the meantime, I bought AT VM540ML and I am beyond happy and beyond satisfied. I was looking for the original cart-stylus but couldn't find any unused so I went for the next best thing in my budget. I got some very good recomms for the AT and I'm happy I listened to those recomms.

I must say I never new the original was so neutral. Only makes me praise Technics even more. The level of Black? How did you come by these specs, I remember they were scarce at best.

Anyway, thanks again. On my voyage of restoring my late father's TT, I ran into difficulties finding a dust cover. I see you're into turntables and if you know where these could be found, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you very much for the effort and time you put into this. In the meantime, I bought AT VM540ML and I am beyond happy and beyond satisfied. I was looking for the original cart-stylus but couldn't find any unused so I went for the next best thing in my budget. I got some very good recomms for the AT and I'm happy I listened to those recomms.

I must say I never new the original was so neutral. Only makes me praise Technics even more. The level of Black? How did you come by these specs, I remember they were scarce at best.

Anyway, thanks again. On my voyage of restoring my late father's TT, I ran into difficulties finding a dust cover. I see you're into turntables and if you know where these could be found, I'd really appreciate it.
I remembered EPC 206 from back in the day at my friend's. And, decades later, got to measure the same cart with - by then - who knows which stylus, but always the original one. "206" tracks well, has very good channel separation an is extremely linear in frequency response. All the praise is usually lavished on 205 series, even on 207 - and 206 barely gets mentioned . It is the perfect epythome of "perfect boredom" - it never puts foot wrong, it never cries, flashes, etc - it is just there, doing its job. It is not "exciting" - in a similar way to Quad original ESL.

Of all the innumerable carts I have measured over the years, only Ortofon 2M Black behaved in similar manner - albeit at slightly higher performance level. "206" is less than 2M Black - in every respect, but VERY little.

I love and have many ATs - but nothing from the current production. It is different sound compared to either "206" or 2M Black, with a bit more emphasis on treble. Using proper load, that proverbial AT brightness can be at least tamed, if not eliminated altogether.

Unfortunately, TT dustcovers are quite a problem. To a point for a bit more upscale models, there are now sellers of aftermarket dust covers on ebay - in price bracket roughly from 150 eur and up. And dustcovers are notoriously difficult to ship ... - being light, the courier services are throwing those packages like you would not believe. So sometimes buying an entire TT with dustcover still intact and making sure the seller packs the TT properly is both cheaper and more secure way of obtaining a dustcover.

Top Bottom