• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SB-F1 Review (Vintage Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 64 42.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 42.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.3%

• Total voters

Tbart

Here's the very similar LX550--I think the woofer was a little different, but it had the same Linaeum tweeters. The tweeter's radiation pattern results in a null on axis, but this largely fills in off axis. It would be interesting to see how the Klippel would put all of this together into a room response. You can see the on-axis and 30 degree off-axis here: http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=rslx_m.html
Is this an appropriate spot to ask advice about upgrading my vintage 7.1 system consisting of 6 PRO-LX550s (1 with foam surround rot) ? If not, can you please redirect? Thanks.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Is this an appropriate spot to ask advice about upgrading my vintage 7.1 system consisting of 6 PRO-LX550s (1 with foam surround rot) ? If not, can you please redirect? Thanks.
You will get plenty of good responses if you start a new thread. Mention room size and budget, associated equipment and intended use

ohnonotagain

Has anyone measured the performance of the revised (and completely different) SB-F1mk2? The mk2 speakers not only have the "honeycomb disc" flat woofers and similar disc tweeters, but also have a more complex crossover. I have a pair, and my primitive and unscientific measurements in REW show a pretty flat frequency response; they're obviously less bassy than bigger speakers but sound clear and accurate to my uneducated ears. I haven't seen measurements of any of Technics's honeycomb disc speakers anywhere, and since it seems like it was a dead end in speaker design, it'd be interesting to see how they perform compared to the more tradiitional cone design.

DavyRockstar

Hi, i'm a big fan of that line of speakers, i really like them... i work a lot with them to restore them...

most of the resonances is because they need a lot of work, first in the corrosver the caps should be changed and second all the damping materials are already de-gradated, i suggest to change the suspension of the mid-woofer and use a high quality damping material such a cork to reduce resonances.... is a lot of work and the suspension work requires an excellent job, any voice coil displace will end in mechanic distortions at high volume...

with the proper amp this speakers are sonus faber lumina killers, specially the SB-F3, better in every regard

see my input in audiokarma

hope there is no problem posting other forum, if i am violating any rule i will edit my post

Top Bottom