• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SB-C700 Review (Coaxial Bookshelf)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 28 11.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 147 59.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 66 26.6%

• Total voters

argyle_mikey

Thanks for your recommandation !
Any opinion regarding classic AB integrated amplifiers NAD M3, Yamaha A-S2100 or Marantz PM-16 ?
I have these speakers. I’ve tried them with various Class D amps and - luckily for you - an old school Marantz PM16. The PM16 sounded superb. Indeed, I got the classic “where’s the subwoofer ?” comment from a friend. Tone controls levelled out of course. The relays died on the Marantz, so I’m using a class D NAD at the moment, until I can find another.

Subjectively : The imaging is superb, almost wrap around with the right source material. I have them 60cm from the rear wall now, on slate stands. Pointed straight ahead. In my set up, the sound benefitted from a slightly compliant footer, rather than a hard disc underneath.

Herb Reichert of Stereophile still retains a pair of these.

Last edited:

marble

That is exactly the setup I had for a long time. I still have an IcePower 1200AS2 in a Ghent case and the RME ADI-2 DAC. That is a great combination. Just curious, were you saying that for some reason Hypex UcD modules will *not* fit the bill with the RME? I also have a setup with that configuration as well; I think, if the nc1200 from Hypex is a UcD module, but I could be mistaken. Works just as well as the IcePower.

You really can't go wrong with IcePower, Purifi or Hypex class D amps, IMO. And the ADI-2 is awesome despite some of my early customer service issues with one of their resellers who was still selling the older version with a different AKM chip in it and trying to pass it off as the newer version with a better remote control. I got a little bothered with RME about that because here in the States, their press release didn't get much coverage and a lot of American consumers - including two friends of mine - had to do a lot of leg work to make sure they got the newer version. Not that the older version sounds any different, but the bigger remote is a definite plus. I also love their "loudness" function.

Hi,
Yes, I am about to receive a ROTEL RB-1072 which is basically two IcePower 200ASC modules in one box, although a good construction one.
Then RME ADI-2 Dac (if I manage to get a hold on a used one - or Topping D90 and SMSL equivalents if I can't).

marble

I have these speakers. I’ve tried them with various Class D amps and - luckily for you - an old school Marantz PM16. The PM16 sounded superb. Indeed, I got the classic “where’s the subwoofer ?” comment from a friend. Tone controls levelled out of course. The relays died on the Marantz, so I’m using a class D NAD at the moment, until I can find another.

Subjectively : The imaging is superb, almost wrap around with the right source material. I have them 60cm from the rear wall now, on slate stands. Pointed straight ahead. In my set up, the sound benefitted from a slightly compliant footer, rather than a hard disc underneath.

Thanks for your input ! I decided myself for Class D poweramp + pre. But there are good Class AB integrated amps out there !

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Interesting re the footer. I just swapped in some cheap gel footers like Buchardt recommends.

argyle_mikey

I started off with brass discs in vibrapods - but they marked the floor. Herbies large footers didn’t sound as good, so I’m now using Solitude ONE Isolation Spike Mounts. I have replaced the standard inserts with ones cut from Nitrile cork. Happy again !

I think the combination of a near vibration-free enclosure, slate stands, metal discs and a solid wood floor was just a bit much without some “give” in the chain somewhere. They have a small ball of blutack on each corner too.

If you have some vibrapods and brass discs lying around though, give it a go and report back.

mmi

Just ABd these with Kef R3 in a cramped store setup, so not optimal. Tonally at lower volumes they were closer but louder they sounded completely different. I much preferred the Technics.

In terms of image / soundstage it was a totally different experience, R3s image was quite contained, Technics was wide open and almost wall of sound like.

I’m a convert, these have me super intrigued. I’ve had the feeling I am after super wide dispersion speakers and this experience validated that feeling somewhat.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just ABd these with Kef R3 in a cramped store setup, so not optimal. Tonally at lower volumes they were closer but louder they sounded completely different. I much preferred the Technics.

In terms of image / soundstage it was a totally different experience, R3s image was quite contained, Technics was wide open and almost wall of sound like.

I’m a convert, these have me super intrigued. I’ve had the feeling I am after super wide dispersion speakers and this experience validated that feeling somewhat.
Where did you find them??

mmi

Where did you find them??
Are they not produced anymore or something? Apollo Hifi in Sydney Australia.

Edit: just realised they were discontinued before this review. What a shame! I’m seriously considering getting these.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they not produced anymore or something? Apollo Hifi in Sydney Australia.

Edit: just realised they were discontinued before this review. What a shame! I’m seriously considering getting these.

Yes, they failed to compete with the LS50, no thanks to What HiFi's terrible review. Even a Stereophile Class A, the cheapest one short of an LS50, couldn't salvage the speaker.

I do think they are still worth a buy if you can wrangle a discount because they are discontinued

argyle_mikey

It amazes me that so many people apparently rely on What Hifi.

The Technics are a future classic. Imaging is superb. The barking dog at the beginning of “Amused to Death” is way forward and far, far to the right.

I’m never getting rid of mine.

marble

It amazes me that so many people apparently rely on What Hifi.

The Technics are a future classic. Imaging is superb. The barking dog at the beginning of “Amused to Death” is way forward and far, far to the right.

I’m never getting rid of mine.
I agree plenty on that.
I've heard the LS50 a lot and some other bookshelf speakers in the past (KEF XQ20 was my favorite, very good, better than LS50...I was dumb to sell them).
The Technics are so good that I am thinking of pairing them with something more classic than my class D Icepowered Rotel power amplifier.... just to give them "another flavour"
Right now, I am torn between a good old Pioneer M22 class A (seems to work good with LS50), Luxman M-02 (I like those VU-meters) or going full crazyness with a MC275.
Just another route than Class-D amplification with those amazing speakers. Any advice on that is welcome...

mmi

Does anyone pair these with the matched SU-C700 amp? What has me interested is the DSP phase correction, however I also want to get some small subs and not sure how those get integrated with the amp.

marble

yamaha a-s 3000/3200 used.. very good prices, vu-meters.. or Luxman 509 used maybe..
Great ! I was wishing a TOTL power amplifier of those brands... there is not much to see nowadays (mostly integrated at decent price). There is much more going with older stuff.
In the past, I collected nice integrated gear : Yamaha AX-1090, Technics SU-8077 among others...
I was thinking of a Sony TA-N86 but I am concerned with the switching PSU : I was hoping to get something with a linear power supply.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Abe_W

This is a review and detailed ...

View attachment 184275

I have noticed the same in countless headphone measurements. Make this region right and the sound opens up with better detail and spatial qualities. Now, I could sit back and enjoy the sound of the Technics!

I've been having to do some version of this PEQ correction in the midrange for any speaker i own literally. I am wondering what the heck all these manufacturers are up to.

Top Bottom