• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SB-C700 Review (Coaxial Bookshelf)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 28 11.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 147 59.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 66 26.6%

• Total voters

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding snobbism, there are alternatives: Genelec, Neuman etc active, ..., etc. for the same price, guys!
Which I had both here and still waiting for your own measurements...

Talking about snobbism:
shall be clear to educated people anyway, sorry.
Well, it seems we are not "only people of lower interest in music as an artform" then but also not educated.

The blue line is wrong, as I already stated in post #194.
Doesn't change the fact though that the (IMD) distortion of the coaxial is lower of the conventional one as stated in reply post #195 and

The actual distortion (IM + HD) of the first two samples is about 3% with just 65 to 75dB
is still worlds away from your dreaded 30%

Even single spectral lines would generate the same percentage of IM, but wouldn't be as loud as the stated 90dB
Possibly different measurement method, distance, the 90dB(C) value also might being of a stereo pair at the listening position (see boundary and room gain), feel free to contact and ask the guy who did them, he is a sound engineer and measuring audio devices for German magazines since the 80s, so he just might be uneducated too https://www.lowbeats.de/juergen-schroeder/

The JBL below generates only a thenth of that (level unknown, sigh ...), maybe even less due to random noise in the measurement.

If You don't accept that difference as relevant, there You go.
Wow, the large 3-way JBL I measured and posted here has less IMD, who would have though of that? Still I sold those as it seems I prefer listening to "music as a life-style product for people of lower interest in music as an artform"...

Last edited:

C. Cook

How's the actual (in-room) bass response on these Technics compared to other speakers their size? They seem tiny.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How's the actual (in-room) bass response on these Technics compared to other speakers their size? They seem tiny.
I haven't listened to mine except with subs.

Last edited:

LukeG

That's really too bad about the hi freq. especially when the detail,resolution and imaging are great, usually stuff that's hard to come by. Room setup seems to be critical and taming them by following the recommendation in the manual have helped according to owner's suggestions in previous posts. I can't see not being able to reduce the ear bleeding with toe in/out positioning.
I think my room has to do a bit with it... I don't have the best room... I may have been a bit hard on this speaker... When I have had them in a carpeted room they have been a much better speaker, pretty much flat sounding. I only have a rug in here at the moment and I think I'm getting alot of upper energy off the floor.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Because some chating about the replacement was involved here I decided this is relevant.
The SB-C600 is in stock in the USA now at $1k.
Here is the Music Direct link, I don't work for them.

HiFi Heaven, I don't work for them.

Be interesting to see how they compare to the 700.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Be interesting to see how they compare to the 700.

Is it a smaller driver or just the cabinet is different? The 600s look way better to me, especially with a proper screw down rear panel and spaced 4mm bananas.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it a smaller driver or just the cabinet is different? The 600s look way better to me, especially with a proper screw down rear panel and spaced 4mm bananas.

Driver looks way different: no more flat piston midwoofer for starters.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cone profile does look a tad shallower than most others though, and the wide surround low-profile surround also minimises disturbances vs a half-roll. Don't think the C600 will provide the unique combination of wide coaxial directivity, smooth FR with minimal port artifacts and decent SPL of the C700 but hopefully it will just be half a step behind KEF's coaxs.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I hadn't noticed the difference from the few pictures I looked at.

1651557988876.png

But yes, I can see from the side angle shot the 600 is a cone

1651558041963.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cone profile does look a tad shallower than most others though, and the wide surround low-profile surround also minimises disturbances vs a half-roll. Don't think the C600 will provide the unique combination of wide coaxial directivity, smooth FR with minimal port artifacts and decent SPL of the C700 but hopefully it will just be half a step behind KEF's coaxs.
The German magazine Stereo had posted some measurements (cannot post them here due to copyright reasons) which didn't look as flat, possibly also a result of the minimalistic crossover

15_main_test_lautsprecher_technics_sbc600_605.jpg

(source of image https://www.avguide.ch/testbericht/2_test-technics-lautsprecher-sb-c600-innere-werte )

but on the other hand the FR measurements of Stereo are usually not comparable to other ones and also the recommended Technics receiver SA-C600 is supposed to have an EQ for it, plus room correction in the bass region.

marble

Hi all,
I recently acquired those great loudspeakers as I had some regrets selling my KEF XQ20 years ago.
I was lost for 3 years in Devialet land (maybe I will miss the bass but it was by no means Hifi so I am not regretting selling my Phantom Silver) and I am wondering which sub 1k $ amplifier could be the best association regarding the SB-C700.
Will use computer as a source with inexpensive Khadas Tone Board feeding the amplifier and I will listen at low to moderate levels because I live in a flat.

I already reduced my picklist to these (in my budget, most of them are used ones) :
- Technics SU-G700 or alternative Technics SU-C700 at a lower price
- Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 (I have past experience with TDAI-2200 without Roomperfect)
- Schiit Vidar/Schiit Saga+ combo
- Yamaha A-S2100 (had AX-1090 in the past, wondering about potential hiss with the SB-C700)
- Nad M3 (big dual Mono class AB - not the M33)
- Harman Kardon HK990
- Marantz PM-16

What should be your best pick among those ?
Any better alternative ? (wish I had found one used Simaudio Moon Neo 240i but that is budget-wise out of my league - maybe Simaudio Moon I3 ?).
Thank you !

Last edited:

Gremlins

All yoyr selection are very very very good amps.
Select by your preference at looks i would suggest

Selecting the technics g700 amps is a pragmaric choice, you get a full technics system .. add thecnics c700 and you get a full system state of the art

Also, the technics is beautifully crafted, way above its price range .. much better in real than on pics .. its a fine piece of audio equipment

C. Cook

Why no class D amps from the list of ones that have tested really well here at ASR? Or the Benchmark AHB-2?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,
I recently acquired those great loudspeakers as I had some regrets selling my KEF XQ20 years ago.
I was lost for 3 years in Devialet land (maybe I will miss the bass but it was by no means Hifi so I am not regretting selling my Phantom Silver) and I am wondering which sub 1k $ amplifier could be the best association regarding the SB-C700.
Will use computer as a source with inexpensive Khadas Tone Board feeding the amplifier and I will listen at low to moderate levels because I live in a flat.

I already reduced my picklist to these (in my budget, most of them are used ones) :
- Technics SU-G700 or alternative Technics SU-C700 at a lower price
- Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 (I have past experience with TDAI-2200 without Roomperfect)
- Schiit Vidar/Schiit Saga+ combo
- Yamaha A-S2100 (had AX-1090 in the past, wondering about potential hiss with the SB-C700)
- Nad M3 (big dual Mono class AB - not the M33)
- Harman Kardon HK990
- Marantz PM-16

What should be your best pick among those ?
Any better alternative ? (wish I had found one used Simaudio Moon Neo 240i but that is budget-wise out of my league - maybe Simaudio Moon I3 ?).
Thank you !
Between those, Lyngdorf. RoomPerfect is great. I don’t think Harman ever ironed out the bugs in HK990, but if they did that’s intriguing if you find a deal. I’d also add Anthem STR and the Buchardt unit as good modern integrateds.

The others are obsolete and inferior.

marble

Why no class D amps from the list of ones that have tested really well here at ASR? Or the Benchmark AHB-2?
Yes, after much reading, I am going the down the Class D route... within my budget.
As I was thinking purchasing anyway a DAC, I am leaning toward pre/amp combo with a good dac as preamp.
And to avoid any nonsense, I was thinking of a RME ADI-2 DAC as a preamp... and some Icepower poweramp to fit the bill.

Between those, Lyngdorf. RoomPerfect is great. I don’t think Harman ever ironed out the bugs in HK990, but if they did that’s intriguing if you find a deal. I’d also add Anthem STR and the Buchardt unit as good modern integrateds.

The others are obsolete and inferior.
I discarded the Lyngdorf as I do not want to be stuck with such unit in case of an upgrade. In the past, it had been difficult for me to sell my antique TDAI-2200. And I read TDAI 3400 review here : it got not a very good one. Going Icepower route as Hypex UcD modules based power amps will not fit the bill with a RME ADI-2 DAC. Maybe something better, I do not know... upgrading power amp could be something I will do later.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Last edited:

testp

Yes, after much reading, I am going the down the Class D route... within my budget.
As I was thinking purchasing anyway a DAC, I am leaning toward pre/amp combo with a good dac as preamp.
And to avoid any nonsense, I was thinking of a RME ADI-2 DAC as a preamp... and some Icepower poweramp to fit the bill.

I discarded the Lyngdorf as I do not want to be stuck with such unit in case of an upgrade. In the past, it had been difficult for me to sell my antique TDAI-2200. And I read TDAI 3400 review here : it got not a very good one. Going Icepower route as Hypex UcD modules based power amps will not fit the bill with a RME ADI-2 DAC. Maybe something better, I do not know... upgrading power amp could be something I will do later.

i would consider as DAC latest Minidsp's as well, you get a lot to mess around with (incl. Dirac / peq filters for room correction)

for amp, im less concerned about best sinad figures, i would look into Yamaha as2200/3200 or Luxmann class A/B even, used...

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am running the basic 2 channel Buckeye NC252 amp with no complaints. Technics speakers are high passed via two powdered JBL subs so the C700 gets way more power on reserve than it needs

Last edited:

C. Cook

That is exactly the setup I had for a long time. I still have an IcePower 1200AS2 in a Ghent case and the RME ADI-2 DAC. That is a great combination. Just curious, were you saying that for some reason Hypex UcD modules will *not* fit the bill with the RME? I also have a setup with that configuration as well; I think, if the nc1200 from Hypex is a UcD module, but I could be mistaken. Works just as well as the IcePower.

You really can't go wrong with IcePower, Purifi or Hypex class D amps, IMO. And the ADI-2 is awesome despite some of my early customer service issues with one of their resellers who was still selling the older version with a different AKM chip in it and trying to pass it off as the newer version with a better remote control. I got a little bothered with RME about that because here in the States, their press release didn't get much coverage and a lot of American consumers - including two friends of mine - had to do a lot of leg work to make sure they got the newer version. Not that the older version sounds any different, but the bigger remote is a definite plus. I also love their "loudness" function.

Top Bottom