• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SB-C600

sweetmusic

Anyone heard the Technics SB-C600 speakers, announced last Sept? Any measurements??

There was a thread here about the earlier SB-C700, which arguably sounded and measured better than the original KEF LS50s.

I only learned about the SB-C600 today, from this review:

I'm curious how they sound!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2 German magazines have reviewed measured and measured it (unfortunately not free to read articles), they don't seem to be as flat the SB-C700, but the recommended receiver SA-C600 is supposed to have a switchable EQ for them.

jae

Major Contributor
Is the $1000 price tag correct? For that price you can buy Neumann KH 80 (active) or even Polk R200 for cheaper if you want passive. If you want to spend a bit more the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX exists for $1500 and is basically budget end-game.

Last edited:

Mzr745

1000 美元是否正确?以价格,如果您希望购买这个价格的价格,您可以以更便宜的价格购买这个标签,Neumann K 80(主动)甚至 Polk R200。如果您想花更多的钱,Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX的售价为1500美元,基本上是初步的最终游戏。
I'm referencing the list price here, it's possible it's actually lower?
Thank you very much for your advice, I compared it to the Polk R200 in my local shop, the Polk sounded a bit muddy which I didn't like, the Neumann K 80 is a very good speaker but it strains my ears with prolonged use so I went for the Technics which allows me to listen to music for long periods of time, if I need to listen to music seriously I will use my TAD E1TX.

jae

Major Contributor
I'm referencing the list price here, it's possible it's actually lower?
Thank you very much for your advice, I compared it to the Polk R200 in my local shop, the Polk sounded a bit muddy which I didn't like, the Neumann K 80 is a very good speaker but it strains my ears with prolonged use so I went for the Technics which allows me to listen to music for long periods of time, if I need to listen to music seriously I will use my TAD E1TX.
If you already have it, of course enjoy your purchase! And welcome to ASR! The newer Technics seem like respectable speakers regardless. My advice was mainly for the original poster to consider some other options that are known and verified to be more "accurate", if he was indeed serious about the Technics which don't seem to have any serious 3rd-party measurements in that regard. Since I do not know his preferences for tone I can only make a suggestion with that standard, unfortunately- and I think it is also the mentality of many people on ASR these days to prefer to buy the most technically better-performing speakers appropriate for their budget/usage and the directivity characteristics they prefer (and then tune accordingly with EQ/treatment if necessary or desired) since that is what research has shown to generally be preferred by listeners. There is a nice database here, including all ASR measurements and other reputable sources too, if you have not seen it yet: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/scores.html

We only have spinorama for the 700-version but the comparisons you posted make it seem at least similar. I would say most sensations of "mud" in music reproduction are usually cited as excess or peaky energy at 100-400hz depending on who you ask. R200 has more low frequency extension than the Technics or similar speakers like the KEF but I would not say it's objectively "muddy" so perhaps it is simply that for your listening habits in your bedroom you prefer less bass/more forward mids (maybe you are listening at lower SPLs?).

By the way, where is that 3rd track "blue dragon" from in your video? I have heard it so many times, but I don't recall where. Maybe from Thunderbolt Fantasy or some other animation?

Last edited:
Top Bottom