• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technically, what exactly is TUBEY sound?

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Both at the same time? o_O

Yep. One more indication that "tube sound" is a total myth. Either it's a well-designed unit (irrespective of the active devices used) or it's a distortion generator (irrespective of the active devices used).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yep. One more indication that "tube sound" is a total myth. Either it's a well-designed unit (irrespective of the active devices used) or it's a distortion generator (irrespective of the active devices used).

But when the market starts intentionally making products that comply with the myth, whether DSP effects plugins or boutique SET amps that aren't neutral, doesn't the term come to have meaning?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nope, other than as a marketing buzzword. Since people "define" the term in contradictory ways, there's no actual meaning to it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but that's mostly a gimmick
Not always IME. Avatar gains a lot in 3D as do a lot of nature programmes. It is a bit of a faff to set up but worth it for some material.
I have a 86" screen but have a more powerful projector now and am considering getting a 120" one. I hardly ever watch films though, maybe it is my Aspergers but most don't appeal.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My view is that usually if a valve amp sounds different it is either the output impedance is high enough to alter the FR of the speakers it is driving or the output transformer response. Ones that are linear in the bass tend to be very expensive and bass distortion is all in the audio band.
Just speculating though.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the theater your speaking of.
I have a fairly decent multich rig here and it can do an impressive job when called upon.
But when one of the big blockbuster hightech movies comes out, such as something from the StarWars or StarTrek series, I'll take the time and spent the money to see it at my local IMAX. It would take a VERY high end home theater to approach the impact and complete immersion that can be experienced in a super cinema.
Yes the last theater attendance by me was a nearby IMAX.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They've been reissued, both as LPs (largest portion) and digital downloads (some of them):

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=everest

I don't have any of the LPs (as a rule, I forbid classical on vinyl in my collection), but I do have half a dozen of the digital downloads. They're quite good.
I owned several way back when I had an LP rig. I knew there were some LP reissues, but didn't know there are digital versions. I'll have to try a couple.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not always IME. Avatar gains a lot in 3D as do a lot of nature programmes. It is a bit of a faff to set up but worth it for some material.
I have a 86" screen but have a more powerful projector now and am considering getting a 120" one. I hardly ever watch films though, maybe it is my Aspergers but most don't appeal.
True, and Avatar, TRON is on the very short list of good 3D movies. To bad that I don't own a 4k to do 3D on. Have been watching music movies lately.
Rock of ages in DTS HD Master, Celine dion in Dolby True HD , Rhianna DTS HD Master (not that good mix) and Nightwish in 5.1 PCM

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I guess it depends on which sandpit you wish to play in.

Do we have a sandpit in the audiophile playground or just swings and roundabouts?

Being 'snarky' got Bill's playground ticket cancelled a while back- something mean was said about someone's mum...

Kids these days...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
DISTORTION
1. Some tube amps introduce more even harmonic distortion compared to solid states;
2. This makes bass and mid-low frequencies sound "thicker" and more immersive;
3. More even harmonics adds that "metallic" colour to instruments and female voice which some people prefer.
Many say harmonic distortion has euphonic qualities like added depth or density. My experience has been that all it adds is indistinctness.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do we have a sandpit in the audiophile playground or just swings and roundabouts?

Being 'snarky' got Bill's playground ticket cancelled a while back- something mean was said about someone's mum...

Kids these days...

Beware of the sandpit snake-oil and also be aware that cats use sandpits as toilets. :eek:

BillG

Major Contributor
Being 'snarky' got Bill's playground ticket cancelled a while back

Are you attracted to me, John? Because you sure do seem to spend an extraordinary amount of time trying to get my attention. Fortunately, for me, my dance card is full, and I've a play date in the sandbox with a rather seductive young woman later this evening... :p

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are you attracted to me, John? Because you sure do seem to spend an extraordinary amount of time trying to get my attention. Fortunately, for me, my dance card is full, and I've a play date in the sandbox with a rather seductive young woman later this evening... :p

ewww

Top Bottom