• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technical questions about shakedown, frequency response and android limitations

Extra

Hi folks,

I have a few technical questions about the initial shakedown of the headphones/earphones and other starting things. Hope you can help me.

First of the list: what is meant exactly by 'shakedown', 'breaking in' all the new headphones, in order for them to acquire more colour and sound better after a certain period of time? Is this valid only for cable devices, or even for wireless ones (I got a new pair of wireless earbuds, editor's note)?

Second: since I got to know that Android limits the sound quality (to 16 bit/48 kHz maybe, or something like that), is this true only when you use jack/usb connections or also for wireless ones? In case the second answer was affirmative, should I use another third-party app in order to bypass this limitation? If yes, which one?

Last: can someone suggest me a proper article/scripted/video/other which teaches how to read decently the frequency response chart of the devices?

Thank you in advance.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Headphone "break in" period or "shakedown" is something that some believe in and others do not believe in.
It could just be that after wearing the headphones for awhile, the ear cushions flatten out, bring the ear closer to the diaphragm.
Which might make one think the sound has improved, but the sound just might be slightly different (guessing).
Could also be the material that hold the metal part of the diaphragm might loosen up a bit (guessing).
So suggest you do not lose any sleep thinking about the "break in period".

CD-audio is 16-bit/44.1k, so 16-bit/48k DAC function is more then enough for 99% of the music you listen to.

OP
E

Extra

Okay. I asked beacause I'm used to listen to Hi-Res music from Amazon music HD, qobuz, etc. on android via wireless earbuds, and I don't know whether I'm being limited for that reason or not. Thanks anyway.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm guessing there are apps for what your looking for, but it's not something I've looked into.
Might try asking on the website Head-fi.

Top Bottom