• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technical Debt & Your System

fas42

Major Contributor
Interesting that most of you guys seem to be focusing mostly on the LPs vs CDs vs NAS angle.

IMHO, the use of passive speakers and separate amps is just as big of a debt.

Not from a convenience POV, but from a performance POV.
I see the active vs. passive as a swings and roundabouts thing - if I was starting from scratch, totally, I would do the "sharpest" active design, for all its obvious advantages. The downsides are that I would have to learn how to excise all the quality demons caused by having everything in one box - the cross interference thing. I would approach it by getting the first value for money variation on the Kii thing that comes out, and "fixing up" the implementation.

fas42

Major Contributor
Having digital circuity, DAC circuitry and power amplifiers all electrically in proximity, being fed from one mains cable - and in a box that's being hammered by strong acoustic, vibrational energy. Of course, good engineering should be able to sort all that out - but the proof's in the pudding ...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Having digital circuity, DAC circuitry and power amplifiers all electrically in proximity, being fed from one mains cable - and in a box that's being hammered by strong acoustic, vibrational energy. Of course, good engineering should be able to sort all that out - but the proof's in the pudding ...

Do you worry about that stuff with your Behringers?

fas42

Major Contributor
Do you worry about that stuff with your Behringers?
The Behringers are pure analogue, far simpler situation - that's a project that's gone on ice, for a variety of reasons. Something I'll get back to - one of these days ... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom