• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technical bi amping question? Does it increase the power allocated to the lows?

DutchJay

Hi all,

I recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio silver 300 7g speakers and have the following set up to drive them. I use a marantz sr6008 as a pre and a 5 channel 85 Watts rms parasound (hca-855a) to amp my 5.1 system.

The old 6g series needed some more power to drive them, which reviewer say is improved in the 7g series. But nonetheless is was contemplating staying on the safe side and bi amp the fronts using 4 of the parasound channels. (Last channel will drive the c250 and the rears are driven by the marantz)

My question is: the sr6008 does not split the highs and the lows, so the pre will give both parasound channels the full signal. Is my thinking right that 85 Watts will go to the mids and highs and a dedicated 85 Watts will only drive the lows in the Silver 300?

Meaning that if the mids and highs need 25 Watts to be driven, if free up those 25 Watts and will be driving the lows with 85 instead of 60 Watts, which would be left over if I do not bi amp? As 85 Watts minus 25 Watts is 60?

And in other words: will I drive the full speaker with 110 Watts RMS in the bi amping scenario?

Thanks for your insights and thoughts!

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@DonH56 wrote a very informative post on bi-amping:

Be sure to read through the thread, there are some follow-up posts by DonH56 with additional discussion.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try it and listen if there is a difference.
It is specific to each pair speaker/amp.

OP
D

DutchJay

@DonH56 wrote a very informative post on bi-amping:

Be sure to read through the thread, there are some follow-up posts by DonH56 with additional discussion.
Thanks a lot for that, really interesting and answers my question.

It is actually good news for me, since my speakers sound great and as passive bi amp does not yield better results that means that a single channel of the parasound is enough to drive them! Frees up more channels.

Top Bottom