• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teardown of the Emotiva DC-1 DAC

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anyone on this page who desires a DC-1 is welcome to make me an offer.

Someone here should jump on this unit, despite the Mr Taylo unfounded opinion these are excellent sounding units. Mine, the one reviewed here, is still in my system used mainly as a headphone dac/amp, great headphone section. My Marantz 7703 does the yo'mans chores of speaker based playback.

NightFlight

I'm here because I'm in the middle acquiring one from the usaudiomart. Online subjective reviews had been favorable against my XDA-2. However, I'm disappointed to learn the opamps on the DC-1 are not socketed like the XDA-2. The boutique TI opamps (forget the model) I have gone back and forth with stock on I *think* I prefer. My XDA-2 was re-capped out of the gate for reliability and (some will disagree ... too bad) sonics in the output section.

This whole ramble on the virtue of measurements and discarding your ears is bunk. Hearing happens in the mind and its apt to fool itself. Yes, so measurements serve as a good reality check. IMHO you need to use both with equal training. I'm not a measurement guy, but I know what I like when I hear it. One thing I've learned along the way is that good audio doesn't necessarily equate to expenditure of funds - but mostly takes determination, trial, willingness to learn and a healthy distrust of your own bias.

I also saw in this thread a casual stone thrown in the name of psychoacoustics regarding long term tests. I assume this is because audio memory is poor and mostly useless. I actually found both long and short tests to be helpful depending on mood, mindset, focus. I can live for a week or more with a device and swap it, the difference can be shocking at first, but then it can fade. I found this to be true between tube make and model. Other things like this Aegir vs Vidar or preamp/no preamp test I'm doing is immediate and obvious. I've done A/B tests and heard no difference, but the same test over time to acclimate allows your mind to learn, to lock in on cues that allow you to recognize a differences. Discounting results because you're flipping between two devices instantly and hearing no difference does not mean that there's no difference, only that you can't hear it in the short time you gave yourself. This is especially true of untrained listeners who only know how to gyrate to the distorted squawks and squeaks of their tin can ghetto blaster crap. *shiver*

Whatever method you use, so long as it moves you to a better equipment selection, I think your going in the right direction. But how do you tell, especially between small increments? I don't know.

Regardless. I'll see if I like the DC-1 over the XDA-2. No other way to find out than to try it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I also saw in this thread a casual stone thrown in the name of psychoacoustics regarding long term tests. I assume this is because audio memory is poor and mostly useless.
I've done A/B tests and heard no difference, but the same test over time to acclimate allows your mind to learn, to lock in on cues that allow you to recognize a differences. Discounting results because you're flipping between two devices instantly and hearing no difference does not mean that there's no difference, only that you can't hear it in the short time you gave yourself. T
You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth?
Your first comment was the correct one, long term listening will allow you to imagine most anything and bias's have the time to influence what you think your hearing..

This whole ramble on the virtue of measurements and discarding your ears is bunk. Hearing happens in the mind and its apt to fool itself. Yes, so measurements serve as a good reality check.
You seem very confused as to what you can believe in.

NightFlight

I was taking the long path to explain we need all the tools.

But I think time allows you to learn what your hearing not just accumulate bias. But by that same token, I don't discount the possibility of bias. You can't out think the machine your using to think with.

Top Bottom