• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teardown of NAD M27 Surround Amplifier

SegaCD

Typical of Hypex builds, the capacitors are not tier one. They are made by Korean company SAMWHA:

Fortunately they are all rated at 105 degree C which is as it should be (rather the lower grade 80 degree C).

SAMWHA (a Samsung subsidiary) capacitors are notorious for being spec'd higher than they actually are and for having relatively short lifespans.

Samsung TVs use SAMWHA caps exclusively (obviously) so there is a large, consistent sample size to support this. The number of Samsung TVs with failed caps in the PSU is atrocious. Also, a lot of complaints of out-of-the-box "excessive plasma buzz" on Samsung plasma TVs could be resolved by replacing the caps on the high-voltage filter section of the x-main & y-main boards, proving that they were out-of-spec from the factory!

Its a shame that NAD couldn't couldn't get Hypex to use better caps (i.e. Nichicon, Rubicon) especially at this price-point... I'm more than slightly worried that many of these will fail prematurely as a result (or, at least, the capacitors may be hindering the performance of an amplifier that already measures wonderfully).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A lot of money for a legitimately good piece of gear that will probably be passed up soon by purefi and others.
Yea but generally amplifiers have been transparent for decades.
You don't buy these products on SQ concerns alone.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of money for a legitimately good piece of gear that will probably be passed up soon by purefi and others.
Passed up? I beg to differ:
With highest distortion at -110db, this amp seems 100% audibly transparent. Whatever the Purifi or any other module is measuring better, probably none would hear a difference level-matched.
Also, these modules (first time I see an implementation of NC400 OEM, BTW) deliver quite more power than either 1ET400A or the AHB2.
So, not an overpriced 7 channel amp in my book.

Reactions: ENG

orangejello

Same module and board for the stereo M22 and the 7 channel M27. Interesting reuse of parts.

I wonder why they used NC400 OEM instead of NC500 OEM, as they did with M22 v2.
Where did you get the idea that the nc500 is used with the M22 v2. I looked at my v2. It uses the nc400 oem. Is there a v2.1 version?

orangejello

Where did you get the idea that the nc500 is used with the M22 v2. I looked at my v2. It uses the nc400 oem. Is there a v2.1 version?
Ok. It appears that there are several modules at play. There is the nc400 DIY module which is circular and there is is the nc400 OEM which is what NAD uses and is on a square board.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's not a filter but a passive PFC corrector. Also found in the Fusion 502/503.
I don't think there is any power factor correction in there, passive or otherwise. Here is how it measures when just powered on:

Anthem M27 Surround Home Theater Amplifier Teardown Power Consumption and Power Factor Inside.jpg

PF is power factor and is pretty low.

That module looks like ordinary set of chokes to comply with EMC rules.

FYI, it uses 97 watts while idle which explains why it gets warm when just sitting there.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: ENG

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't think there is any power factor correction in there, passive or otherwise. Here is how it measures when just powered on:

View attachment 33764

PF is power factor and is pretty low.

That module looks like ordinary set of chokes to comply with EMC rules.

FYI, it uses 97 watts while idle which explains why it gets warm when just sitting there.
Didn't want to start a debate on this. Usually the PFC is integrated to the SMPS.
About idling, wondering if disconnecting the idling channels would improve the measurements like it did with the NC400 DIY.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
About idling, wondering if disconnecting the idling channels would improve the measurements like it did with the NC400 DIY.
It would. But probably easier just to power it on to watch a movie and then shut it off.

noel_fs

plans on reviewing k5 pro @amirm ? sorry for commenting in a random thread about it but i guess its more efficient than creating a new one

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
]

BTW, I was banned from the second thread. But of course, as a few know everything and they assume that I am the ignorant.

You are being ignorant if you repeatedly spam every thread with this which is specifically contrary to the advice of the designer.

Are you saying you know better tha Bruno Putzeys? If so add arrogant to ignorant.

Last edited:

SEKLEM

You are being ignorant if you repeatedly spam every thread with this which is specifically contrary to the advice of the designer.

Are you saying you know better tha Bruno Putzeys? If so add arrogant to ignorant.

Fella reminds me of a coworker of mine. He has an emergency light bar in his 90's Pontiac because he thinks it makes him look like a police officer.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@maty What's your native language (i.e., mother tongue)?

Top Bottom