• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teac's Hypex Amps

Duke650

IMHO it is an NC122MP plus input buffer designed by TEAC plus some fancy VU meters in box matching my NT-505

price / performance ratio not great, not terrible :)
ad5NnN9_460s.jpg

Mutsu

I decided to go with XTZ Edge A2-300, no idea how this will stack up to the Teac AP-505, but they ship to Japan and it's likely going to be half the price after duty & taxes.

I have 2 of the teac ap-505. They sound good.
They are beautiful, and don't take up too much space.
The single rear foot is silly. When I connect a heavy power cable, the amp tilts over.
The biamp switch is silly. I am fine running my own xlr splitter.
They are not for people who want a lot of power, but they have good specs at low power.
Total harmonic distortion = 0.0015% (8Ω, 1kHz, 12.5W, JEITA)
Signal-to-Noise ratio = 113dB (8Ω, 1kHz, IHF-A)Frequency response10Hz to 50,000Hz (+0dB, –5dB, 8Ω, 1kHz, 1W, JEITA)
Dumping factor = 370 or higher, JEITA (20Hz to 20kHz, Output impedance: 22mΩ, 8Ω loaded)

Notice teac mis-spells damping factor in the most hilarious way.
I could find no outside reviews with testing data.

SEKLEM

Dumping factor = 370 or higher, JEITA (20Hz to 20kHz, Output impedance: 22mΩ, 8Ω loaded)

Notice teac mis-spells damping factor in the most hilarious way.
I could find no outside reviews with testing data.

I noticed several typos in their literature. Not a confidence builder, which is sad, because I love this stuff.

Mutsu

I noticed several typos in their literature. Not a confidence builder, which is sad, because I love this stuff.

As a resident of Japan for some time, I know most Japanese companies struggle with English translations unless they are a huge corporation that can afford professional translation (and even then these also struggle at times). I wouldn't worry about it too much.

To update on my last post - I received the XTZ Edge A2-300 and was extremely disappointed with it. I ended up getting a March Audio p252 and in my opinion this is the best amp I've ever had. Would love to know how it would sound compared to the TEAC, but I doubt I'll be changing my amp any time soon unless it's for a purifi one.

Based on my subsequent purchases from March Audio, I've placed an order for the Sointuva speakers with Purifi drivers too. It will be the first time I've bought speakers without auditioning in a long time, but I somehow feel confident that I'll like them.

SEKLEM

To update on my last post - I received the XTZ Edge A2-300 and was extremely disappointed with it. I ended up getting a March Audio p252 and in my opinion this is the best amp I've ever had.

The XTZ uses icePower instead of Hypex, which is definitely leagues ahead of icePower.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Anyone has experience using an AP-505 to drive a pair ELAC Reference DBR62 at low/medium volumes (background music only in dining room) ?

Would be grateful to the ASR community, if anyone has tried this particular combo.

Thank you!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone has experience using an AP-505 to drive a pair ELAC Reference DBR62 at low/medium volumes (background music only in dining room) ?

Would be grateful to the ASR community, if anyone has tried this particular combo.

Thank you!
Doesn't ELAC have their own integrated amp based on Hypex stuff?

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Doesn't ELAC have their own integrated amp based on Hypex stuff?
I’m sure they do, but that was not my question.

I’m looking for experience report from anyone who used an AP-505 to drive a pair of Reference DBR 62s.

Teac AP-701 = $3,800
That's pricey for a 125W amp... and I would need a pair because I use an active crossover.
They are pretty, and the AP-701 has a 12V trigger. My pair of AP-505 do not have a 12V trigger.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ex wife has the AP-505. It is easy, reliable, has Hypex stuff in it, and thus should be able to drive any kind of load easily.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Teac AP-701 = $3,800
That's pricey for a 125W amp... and I would need a pair because I use an active crossover.
They are pretty, and the AP-701 has a 12V trigger. My pair of AP-505 do not have a 12V trigger.
Indeed. AP-701 is a different model, much larger footprint.

What speakers is your AP-505 driving? Any issues to report?

I am looking for feedback from AP-505 owners who used them with “difficult to drive” speakers like the Reference DBR62. At low/modest volume.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
My ex wife has the AP-505. It is easy, reliable, has Hypex stuff in it, and thus should be able to drive any kind of load easily.
Thank you and great to hear.

Could you share what speakers the AP-505 is driving?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Teac AP-701 = $3,800
It gets into the "perceived value" aspect that is an intrinsic part of market economy. Anyone that thinks any product is priced as the simple sum of its components hasn't read market economy basics by Adam Smith in the 18th century. :)

I personally think TEAC's higher end stuff -which I seem to recall they abandoned for a while, as they went utterly high end with their Esoteric brand- has always been very good. They made one of the best compact cassette players of all times, the 8030S, which I enjoyed for many years. The build quality is also absolutely top notch.

Indeed. AP-701 is a different model, much larger footprint.

What speakers is your AP-505 driving? Any issues to report?

I am looking for feedback from AP-505 owners who used them with “difficult to drive” speakers like the Reference DBR62. At low/modest volume.
No problems at all.
I have used them to drive a pair of:
KEF LS-50 meta
PBN Montana spx
sony ss-lac505ed
Focal ARIA 5 - home-made
home-made scan speak 6.5 in
Very old EMI
I usually use an active crossover around 100Hz and Behringer A800 to run a pair of subs.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Her new hubby got B&W 804s a few years back, pretty good stuff.
OK, that’s helpful because B&W 804 shares similar characteristic of low impendance/high phase angle (around 100Hz) so therefore “difficult to drive”.

I realize this might be a sensitive topic (ex-wife and all that… have been through that myself), but do you know if the combo delivers without noticeable distortion?

Theodore8

Forum Donor
No problems at all.
I have used them to drive a pair of:
KEF LS-50 meta
PBN Montana spx
sony ss-lac505ed
Focal ARIA 5 - home-made
home-made scan speak 6.5 in
Very old EMI
I usually use an active crossover around 100Hz and Behringer A800 to run a pair of subs.
Thank you!

This is exactly the kind of experience feedback I was looking for. If AP-505 can drive LS-50 smoothly, DBR62 should be no issue as well.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
THANK YOU to the ASR community!

Fantastic. In 30 min, I got the experience feedback and advice that I was looking for.

You guys are great.

Top Bottom