• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teac UD-501 - a reference DAC?

wadec22

You guys have any thoughts on this DAC? I have one on the way, as I think it has potential as a reference DAC on my desktop (combined with my Massdrop THX).

I know amir tested the NT-503 - but that has a different DAC setup and a quick search shows a couple Head-Fi users talking about substantially lesser build quality than the 501.

As always, my interest began with measurements.

Checking out the RMAA testing grounds appears to show a solid 116db SINAD (although admittedly tested on far lesser equipment than Amir's, and using the default SHARP filter).
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/teac-ud501-sharp.php

Archimago did some good testing on it. Using the RCA connections, it looks like he got SINAD of 113db (24bit, 96hz)
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-teac-ud-501-pcm-performance.html

Are there any measurements or other information you have seen that would make you skeptical of this unit? Looking at what is out there, I think it seams like a bargain when you can find them used for sub $500.

I'm still learning to read measurements, so please excuse any ignorance in my interpretation of their results.

Thanks for any input guys!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looking at the first link's measurements, what he is showing for SINAD is for distortion only. The metric I use is THD+N which includes noise. So if I were to measure them, they would achieve lower numbers.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
You guys have any thoughts on this DAC? I have one on the way, as I think it has potential as a reference DAC on my desktop (combined with my Massdrop THX).
Looking at what is out there, I think it seams like a bargain when you can find them used for sub $500.

I have had this Teac UD-501 for abt. one year, back in 2015.
I was an "aficionado" of the BB PCM1795, that was one the reasons for which I bought it @ 450 EUR second-hand.
I had it feeding my integrated at that time, the HK990, with XLR connections.
Two were the possible configurations of my set-up :

#1 : Linux (MPD player) ---> USB cable ---> Teac UD-501 ---> HK990 via XLRs
#2 : Linux (MPD player) ---> USB cable ---> USB/SPDIF interface (Musical Fidelity V-Link 192) ---> SPDIF cable ---> Teac UD-501 ---> HK990 via XLRs

The configuration #2 was the one I chose to keep as it best suited my taste.
It looked like the V-Link 192 interface had a better jitter control than the USB card implementation of the Teac. (By means of a DSP Texas Instruments TMS320C6748B)

Replaced it with a NAD M51 so to add the volume control as well as a better implementation of the USB infeed.

However, I could not have bought any better DAC for the money. ;)
Very pleased with the overall performance of it, with only a small (-) on the USB input.

Do you intend to play also the DSD format thru it ?

Since, I have not followed very much the development of the UD-501 into the UD-503, TBH, but I have read they have changed from the BB PCM1795 to AK4490. (Probably following the industry/market trends ...)

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have had this Teac UD-501 for abt. one year, back in 2015.
I was an "aficionado" of the BB PCM1795, that was one the reasons for which I bought it @ 450 EUR second-hand.
I had it feeding my integrated at that time, the HK990, with XLR connections.
Two were the possible configurations of my set-up :

#1 : Linux (MPD player) ---> USB cable ---> Teac UD-501 ---> HK990 via XLRs
#2 : Linux (MPD player) ---> USB cable ---> USB/SPDIF interface (Musical Fidelity V-Link 192) ---> SPDIF cable ---> Teac UD-501 ---> HK990 via XLRs

The configuration #2 was the one I chose to keep as it best suited my taste.
It looked like the V-Link 192 interface had a better jitter control than the USB card implementation of the Teac. (By means of a DSP Texas Instruments TMS320C6748B)

Replaced it with a NAD M51 so to add the volume control as well as a better implementation of the USB infeed.

However, I could not have bought any better DAC for the money. ;)
Very pleased with the overall performance of it, with only a small (-) on the USB input.

Do you intend to play also the DSD format thru it ?

Since, I have not followed very much the development of the UD-501 into the UD-503, TBH, but I have read they have changed from the BB PCM1795 to AK4490. (Probably following the industry/market trends ...)

Are you saying you were able to hear difference between USB and SPDIF inputs with Teac UD-501?

OP
wadec22

wadec22

Looking at the first link's measurements, what he is showing for SINAD is for distortion only. The metric I use is THD+N which includes noise. So if I were to measure them, they would achieve lower numbers.
Looking at the available measurements, how far would you anticipate it dropping? Would you guess it to perform worse than my topping d50?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Are you saying you were able to hear difference between USB and SPDIF inputs with Teac UD-501?

The SNR was given @ 108dB for the USB and @ 113dB for the SPDIF infeed with a 24-bits signal @ the XLRs outfeed, by measurements I had studied in my decision process for this UD-501.

AFAIC, I heard improvement's :

1st - via the USB/SPDIF interface (if that was given by the interface better jitter management or by the superior above said SNR, I do not know, TBH ...)
2nd - after adding an UPS to the power supply of my HTPC ...

bennetng

Major Contributor
Looking at the available measurements, how far would you anticipate it dropping? Would you guess it to perform worse than my topping d50?
You can PM Archimago in his CA account.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/profile/4941-archimago/

RMAA shows THD+N in dB in the generated html report. Example:
https://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/schiit/fulla2/hpout.shtml

He also has the ADI-2 Pro FS with a better ADC than the EMU 0404 USB to remeasure the TEAC. I believe he did that already and is keeping the resulting audio files or RMAA project files so you may try to ask him to share the result.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Influence of the digital filters :
With no filter
no filter.png

Krunok

Major Contributor
AFAIC, I heard improvement's :

1st - via the USB/SPDIF interface (if that was given by the interface better jitter management or by the superior above said SNR, I do not know, TBH ...)
2nd - after adding an UPS to the power supply of my HTPC ...

As you demonstrated such fantastic hearing I can only assume you were wearing those "hearing enhancement devices" (as shown on your avatar pic) while noticing such fine acoustic differences which even precise instruments struggle to catch.

OP
wadec22

wadec22

You can PM Archimago in his CA account.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/profile/4941-archimago/

RMAA shows THD+N in dB in the generated html report. Example:
https://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/schiit/fulla2/hpout.shtml

He also has the ADI-2 Pro FS with a better ADC than the EMU 0404 USB to remeasure the TEAC. I believe he did that already and is keeping the resulting audio files or RMAA project files so you may try to ask him to share the result.
I had already messaged him, said he didn't have THD+ N or SINAD for it

graz_lag

Major Contributor
As you demonstrated such fantastic hearing I can only assume you were wearing those "hearing enhancement devices" (as shown on your avatar pic) while noticing such fine acoustic differences which even precise instruments struggle to catch.

As I said, I cannot say which part of the chain had the biggest impact, if the USB/SPDIF interface or the cabling or some reduction in the noise from the HTPC, but I am 100% positive the input thru the SPDIF was the one that I retained for the UD-501.
Other variable were identical's in both scenarios.
I then noticed a different sound quality (I am not saying "better", just different or that it best suited my taste ...) going from the UD-501 to the NAD M51. The Topping DX7s I have just ordered to replace the M51 will get me to explore other differences in sound quality, for sure.

Pls. do not directly relate the measurements to the flavor of the sound quality you may prefer. You know that, don't you ?

Ohh ... my enhancement devices might be on sale .. if you want to drop me an offer ... :p

Krunok

Major Contributor
Pls. do not directly relate the measurements to the flavor of the sound quality you may prefer. You know that, don't you ?

Ohh ... my enhancement devices might be on sale .. if you want to drop me an offer ... :p

I seriously doubt there was any hearable difference in the "flavor of the sound" between USB and SPDIF. Unless you noticed the difference in a properly conducted blind test everything else are only your subjective impressions. That falls into "belief" area, which is religion territory, not science. And last time I checked this forum was about audio science, not about audio religion. ;)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The TEAC is quite expensive and you can get some very good alternatives for a lot less. However there seems to be reasonable discounts around and it appears to be well made. One factor which may be significant depending on where you are is that unlike some of the alternatives the TEAC is available from local distributors and retailers with all that implies for warranties and after sales issues. That said you can also pay an awful lot more than the cost of the TEAC and I'm not sure the pricier alternatives will be any better made.

Krunok

Major Contributor
That said you can also pay an awful lot more than the cost of the TEAC and I'm not sure the pricier alternatives will be any better made.

Or you can invest that money in better speakers and you'll have very good chances that you will actually hear the difference. :)

Top Bottom