• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teac S-300HR Review (Speaker)

Saidera

I was wondering where is the 25mm Titanium dome tweeter?

As a Hi-Res certified speaker, its performance is as expected. It could be suitable for people who dislike bass, or have neighbours who dislike heavy beats leaking into their rooms.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering where is the 25mm Titanium dome tweeter?

As a Hi-Res certified speaker, its performance is as expected. It could be suitable for people who dislike bass, or have neighbours who dislike heavy beats leaking into their rooms.

It's a coaxial design, it's centered in the mid-woofer.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
But nice ornament on the tweeter protection. I have seen before, but where? Tang-Band? Mhh dont know......

cbracer

Forum Donor
I was able to purchase a pair of these for $300. Gorgeous finish yes! Needs a little bass which I agree with. I tried them on my computer desk about 5 feet apart. Without toe-in they sounded much different than pointing then directly at me, but that's expected at over 50 degrees angled out. I see the angled directivity over the frequency range, which must change the tone of the speaker a lot off axis? This should be as straight across as possible so as you move off axis the sound becomes less but doesn't change much. Am I interpreting that correctly?
Perhaps they never heard of bracing inside with a lack of absorption materials.... or they tried to create an instrument from cabinet? I'm excited to try the corrections and plug in my sub.

Last edited:

RichT

hi Amirm, I see they can be bi-amped, maybe that would improve their performance?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi Amirm, I see they can be bi-amped, maybe that would improve their performance?

How and why?

Bi-amping possibility is a useless feature on most speakers.

It looks good from a marketing point of view though, suggesting to the uneducated customer that the speakers must be really serious speakers if they have that option.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Beautiful speakers but I do like my Revel M106s finish better.

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_7906 2.jpeg

cbracer

Forum Donor
I don't know if they are "very different", they woofer is smaller and the tweeter doesn't seem as nice, but if those are $150/pair, then the ones Amir has shouldn't be much more, maybe Q350 price of $600/pair.
EDIT: Guess I was wrong, around $1650/pair
https://camelcamelcamel.com/S-300HR-CH-Hi-Res-corresponding-coaxial-Speaker/product/B01AL374C2
They are likely discontinued or have very little distribution channel. I bought mine new from HiFiHeaven online for $300 late last year.

Last edited:

GimeDsp

These speaker belong in a cigar shop.

Look awesome, but has a tweeter-on-pole piece set up ever sounded good?
As far as I'm aware physics dictates this design will always have flaws in a full range two way design.

Langston Holland

Forum Donor
Amazing work Amir, thank you for the continuing education. : )

I spent a couple of decades in concert production and came up with a rule-of-thumb concerning maximum loudspeaker harmonic distortion that you might consider/modify as you listen and see what you think. These "just audible" numbers assume that there are no significant other problems, such as port chuffing with subwoofers, drivers bottoming out, hearing overload, etc. Auditory masking allows amazing levels of distortion to remain inaudible at lower frequencies (Keele's and Voishvillo's AES papers are wonderful on this). In all cases I found that the maximum level prior to audible distortion was far below rated loudspeaker maximums (at least 6dB RMS).

Thresholds: Sub passband 24%, 100Hz 12%, 200Hz 6% and 400Hz up 3%.
SINAD Conversions: Sub passband 12dB, 100Hz 18dB, 200Hz 24dB and 400Hz up 30dB.

Just my experience, YMMV. : )

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Last edited:

bakker_be

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am beginning to wrap my head around the great KlippelNFS presentation' with SmithCharts, colorful waterfall dispersion and contour directivity graphs. A reference(benchmarking) speaker data, super-imposed on these plots, would go along way.
Surprising findings.
I am wondering if this set of Teac speakers were part of a multi-speaker 'system'; as Teac usually does not skimp on (industrial-grade) construction.
I wonder what types of construction shortcuts they resorted to: No internal cabinet bracing? No 1/2" MDF? It would be telling to peek inside.
The wood-veneer seems like putting lipstick on a farm animal... instead of spending the $$ for feeding the poor thing!
The old "W.A.F." only used to apply to large floor-standing speakers...

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am beginning to wrap my head around the great KlippelNFS presentation' with SmithCharts, colorful waterfall dispersion and contour directivity graphs. A reference(benchmarking) speaker data, super-imposed on these plots, would go along way.
Surprising findings.
I am wondering if this set of Teac speakers were part of a multi-speaker 'system'; as Teac usually does not skimp on (industrial-grade) construction.
I wonder what types of construction shortcuts they resorted to: No internal cabinet bracing? No 1/2" MDF? It would be telling to peek inside.
The wood-veneer seems like putting lipstick on a farm animal... instead of spending the $$ for feeding the poor thing!
The old "W.A.F." only used to apply to large floor-standing speakers...

You can generate comparison easily here.

Ex: this Teac (solid) against Genelec 8341A (dashed) another coaxial of the same size, much more expensive with much better measurements:
visualization (3).png

ezra_s

Forum Donor
...I must say the finish on the S-300HR is one of the best if not the best I have seen on a speaker...

wot-panzer.png

PS: amirm going crazy! o_O

respice finem

Major Contributor
How and why?

Bi-amping possibility is a useless feature on most speakers.

It looks good from a marketing point of view though, suggesting to the uneducated customer that the speakers must be really serious speakers if they have that option.
One exception being active speakers with active crossovers, where the power stages are between the low-level analog-active, or digital-active crossover and its corresponding driver. But there it's a necessity and not a "gimmick" like bi-amping / bi-wiring in passive speakers.

Top Bottom