• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teac S-300HR Review (Speaker)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Hehe, well I agree there's a bit of a tackiness factor about them! They're trying to look good, but for me edging into tackiness territory! It's trying to do what the M106 is doing in this post (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...teac-s-300hr-review-speaker.26186/post-895497 ), but it's not quite hitting the mark of that M106!

Well, to me the revel looks gorgeous while the TEAC like the woofer is too small for the hole they made for it and looks darn ugly to me. Not sure if that's the speakers I would compare.

I see the TEAC like more of an darn ugly coaxial, a Kef wannabe. :D

Last edited:

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I live in Japan and I can tell you for a fact that these are sold separately and not necessarily intended to be paired up to their A4 paper sized audio gear. The HR is the "upgraded" edition with a "better" tweeter. I actually preferred the soft domed non-HR edition even though I would never consider either of them for purchase, they have a typical Kamaboko style sound signature in the real world in a normal sized Japanese apartment. No highs, no lows, no definition is what the Kamaboko style of sound is known for, the alternative is called Don-Shari, which means heavy on the bass and treble.
These have been discontinued for sometime. The last time I saw a pair, they were on clearance pre-covid.

https://teac.jp/int/product/s-300hr/top

Just some added insight into the speakers. This basic coax design has been a theme for Teac for some time now. But as the market is changing, it seems they have stopped producing speakers for now. The Japanese Video Grand Prix award, or VGP award is something the manufacturers literally pay for, it is not awarded for producing a superior product.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ugh, my tinnitus flared up just looking at the response charts.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I live in Japan and I can tell you for a fact that these are sold separately and not necessarily intended to be paired up to their A4 paper sized audio gear. The HR is the "upgraded" edition with a "better" tweeter. I actually preferred the soft domed non-HR edition even though I would never consider either of them for purchase, they have a typical Kamaboko style sound signature in the real world in a normal sized Japanese apartment. No highs, no lows, no definition is what the Kamaboko style of sound is known for, the alternative is called Don-Shari, which means heavy on the bass and treble.
These have been discontinued for sometime. The last time I saw a pair, they were on clearance pre-covid.

https://teac.jp/int/product/s-300hr/top

Just some added insight into the speakers. This basic coax design has been a theme for Teac for some time now. But as the market is changing, it seems they have stopped producing speakers for now. The Japanese Video Grand Prix award, or VGP award is something the manufacturers literally pay for, it is not awarded for producing a superior product.
Yes discontinued for a while, but I have to say, around 2007-2008, there was something about this 300HR serie. maybe sold as separate, not sure, but in Canada this pretty compact sound system, was everywhere looking way better than it have any right to for resonable price. I would see them in every HIFI store, just great industrial design, these 1/2u CD players and integrated, matched with speakers like that, just screamed awesome value. At a time where everybody would rather buy the 100$ DVD player that could also play CD,they would sell an all metal, robust dedicated music playing system for about Maybe 1300$ total, this was very atractive to me. I mean, EVERYTHING was plastic faced then, those where nice aluminum separates, nice wood speakers, minimalistic. but you could pay double for something like a NAD system that was still plasticky and not really more powerful, with a pair of slightly bigger B&W that is the end was not obviously more hifi, if so, very slightly so. YeahI see the below average performance in measurment, But still, it was to me some nice stuff for the period.

Top Bottom