• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TEAC NT-503: any opinions?

Mivera

Major Contributor
First, this is a very nice looking unit! Second, the measurements look good (although I could not tell what input levels were used). Love to see you do a quick blind test of the filter settings, especially the "OFF" mode for the interpolation filter to see if it makes an audible difference. He says that switching of that is instantaneous.

Might want to look into the new model as this one's been discontinued.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

That's the old model that doesn't even have the same DAC chip. But don't concern yourself with those petty details. Just skim through the positive high lights.

So, despite the fact that you haven't heard either of the Teac 503 models (which are claimed to be an improvement over the older 501), I'm supposed to take your opinion more seriously than those of Michael Lavorgna and Archimago (including his measurements)? Apart from being the local vocal pushy salesman bullshitter in the plaid jacket with the ultra-wide lapel, can you remind me of why anyone should take your opinion remotely seriously?

Mivera

Major Contributor
So, despite the fact that you haven't heard either of the Teac 503 models (which are claimed to be an improvement over the older 501), I'm supposed to take your opinion more seriously than those of Michael Lavorgna and Archimago (including his measurements)? Apart from being the local vocal pushy salesman bullshitter in the plaid jacket with the ultra-wide lapel, can you remind me of why anyone should take your opinion remotely seriously?

It's not even the same DAC . Why don't you just read a review on the Gustard instead? Just because it's the same manufacturer and the front face is similar,, doesn't mean it's the same unit. And I'm not selling any of the product's I've recommended on this thread So I'm not sure why you keep talking about me trying to sell something.

BobShermanEsq

It's not even the same DAC . Why don't you just read a review on the Gustard instead? Just because it's the same manufacturer and the front face is similar,, doesn't mean it's the same unit.
So Teac would introduce a new product that would be worse when compared to their previous one??? Makes a great deal of sense.

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Better buy up the old stock before they reduce the pricing on it.
Making sense as usual.
Now you need to claim you can get it for $30 and have another chuck the toys from the pram temper tantrum for not listening to your "sense".

Looks like Scott is getting a well engineered product. A TEAC.

Mivera

Major Contributor
A review on a CD player from when the World Trade Center was still standing? WTF?

Your signal to noise ratio is kind of scary low.

I would assume they have made improvements since. But unless we study the actual unit, it might be hard to assess.

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, that's Keith you're mixing him up with - the barrowboy

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A review on a CD player from when the World Trade Center was still standing? WTF?

Your signal to noise ratio is kind of scary low.

He is simply suffering from forum noise floor modulation.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

I haven't had a chance to do much apart from set it up. I can say it sounds at least as good as what I had, and the differences between the filters are audible but small.

jkorten

Hi,

New to the forum. Lifelong audiophile, recording hobbyist, amateur musician. Also a designing electrical engineer (bioengineering). Mostly like tube gear sound (Cary SLP98P pre and Audio Mirror SET 6C33 amps) and Harbeth SHL5 speakers. TT=highly modified VPI HW19 MKIII with an SME-V.

Quite amazing how many how few people on this list have actually listened to the Teac UD-503 and yet are still willing to comment on the way it sounds. Or to infer by some means of indirection, that it must be [x].

I have the MHDT Pagoda (which I love) and also have the TEAC as my sons want to have a means to stream in from their computers (via bluetooth which the NT-503 has). The unit sounds very impressive. Some things it does better than the MHDT. But I'm giving it a few weeks to break in to do a more formal comparison. The MHDT improved for approximately the first 100-200 hours or more of listening.

The TEAC is very impressive. Non-fatiguing, plays DSD, a really impressive low end (that is bass response).

I'll be back with more.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, despite the fact that you haven't heard either of the Teac 503 models (which are claimed to be an improvement over the older 501), I'm supposed to take your opinion more seriously than those of Michael Lavorgna

I'd take the opinion of a dog licking its ball sack and saying it taste like lasagna than anything Lavorgna has to say.

Top Bottom