• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TEAC NT-503: any opinions?

nc42acc

I didn't keep the Teac UD-503 long enough to truly give it a fair shot. I let it burn in for 4 days and listened to it for 2 comparing against the X20 and Yggydrasil. It didn't have any standout redeeming qualities to warrant me keeping it. I will say it is very well built and designed. Just did not float my DAC boat.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I didn't keep the Teac UD-503 long enough to truly give it a fair shot. I let it burn in for 4 days and listened to it for 2 comparing against the X20 and Yggydrasil. It didn't have any standout redeeming qualities to warrant me keeping it. I will say it is very well built and designed. Just did not float my DAC boat.

Did you ever ABX burn in? It's BS according to many. Also the longer you listen to something the worse it is to get an accurate impression.

nc42acc

I hooked it up and played a signal continuous when I was not at home. This was my burn in method.

Did you ever ABX burn in? It's BS according to many. Also the longer you listen to something the worse it is to get an accurate impression.

BobShermanEsq

The only one who actually compared it to anything was Marty. But his opinion was invalid. So I offered advice on a much cheaper option that will kill DAC's at 5 times the price as the Teac. But still not good enough. So I guess that's about all we can do here.
But not everyone wants to run something so basic. People often need features controls etc. It is fun to play with different stuff, but you cannot really leave a bunch of circuit boards in a family room.

Mivera

Major Contributor
But not everyone wants to run something so basic. People often need features controls etc. It is fun to play with different stuff, but you cannot really leave a bunch of circuit boards in a family room.

Exactly why I shared the info on the total Mirand DAC/Pre combo that will be ready soon.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Nice but still basically DIY and not for everyone.

It's not DIY when you buy it completely assembled with a 2 year warranty.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 10.07.56 PM.png

BobShermanEsq

It's not DIY when you buy it completely assembled with a 2 year warranty.

View attachment 806
I am well aware of exactly what it is. Actually read about it before you did. Very good design, very good sound but still a DIY product. Do you understand the concept? Yes Sonny will put it together and cover it for two years. He is a super talented guy, but still not a mainstream product suitable for a regular buyer.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
I am well aware of exactly what it is. Actually read about it before you did. Very good design, very good sound but still a DIY product. Do you understand the concept? Yes Sonny will put it together and cover it for two years. He is a super talented guy, but still not a mainstream product suitable for a regular buyer.

Who cares if it can also be bought in DIY pieces? Does that make it any worse of a product? What makes it unsuitable for everyone? Too good for the price? Aluminum on the front panel is too thick? Pair it with an amp like the Nord NC-500 based unit, and you will have a complete system for for under $4000 that will kill a $18000 Devialet 400.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!product-page/onbar/012e5195-cc59-3aaf-496a-97b1a840f53b

TBone

Major Contributor
"Somewhere in the middle is something called common sense."

original question ...
"This appears to be like the UD-503 (which is an improvement on the UD 501). The difference appears that it has ethernet in rather than analog in, and bluetooth in, and no dual balanced headphone jacks. I was paying serious attention to the UD-503, but I don't need the headphone or analogue in, so maybe network capabilities would give it the edge?"

1st reply ...
"Marty said the UD-503 sounded like crap compared to his cheaper Gustard X20U"

next ...
"A guy sold off his $7000 Sim Audio DAC after buying this cheap simple DAC."
"If you can find something better for under $10K please let me know about it. It's a killer deal".
"will have to settle for the $7000 DAC killing IC opamp board I guess."
"Even the little Mirand DAC I mentioned earlier, smoked my $5000 Resonessence Mirus in both my opinion"
"326 Euro Mirand DAC, you will have to do better than the $5000 Resonessence Mirus."
"Mirus killer right here. Will cost you about $600 and an hours time"
"Yeah for $20 might be worth is, but I heard it doesn't sound like much more than $20 either"
"It's not DIY when you buy it completely assembled with a 2 year warranty."
"Pair it with an amp like the Nord NC-500 based unit, and you will have a complete system for for under $4000 that will kill a $18000 Devialet 400."

measurements(this thread only):
total replies=129/48 Blizz.
=37% Blizz

(37% = 100% autocratic = ?% professionalism)

OP
wgscott

wgscott

=37% Blizz

Yeah, he and Gandalf managed to turn the whole place into a used car sales lot pretty quickly, but without the charm.

TBone

Major Contributor
did you purchase the 503? If so, your thoughts in time would be appreciated.

Mivera

Major Contributor
"Somewhere in the middle is something called common sense."

original question ...
"This appears to be like the UD-503 (which is an improvement on the UD 501). The difference appears that it has ethernet in rather than analog in, and bluetooth in, and no dual balanced headphone jacks. I was paying serious attention to the UD-503, but I don't need the headphone or analogue in, so maybe network capabilities would give it the edge?"

1st reply ...
"Marty said the UD-503 sounded like crap compared to his cheaper Gustard X20U"

next ...
"A guy sold off his $7000 Sim Audio DAC after buying this cheap simple DAC."
"If you can find something better for under $10K please let me know about it. It's a killer deal".
"will have to settle for the $7000 DAC killing IC opamp board I guess."
"Even the little Mirand DAC I mentioned earlier, smoked my $5000 Resonessence Mirus in both my opinion"
"326 Euro Mirand DAC, you will have to do better than the $5000 Resonessence Mirus."
"Mirus killer right here. Will cost you about $600 and an hours time"
"Yeah for $20 might be worth is, but I heard it doesn't sound like much more than $20 either"
"It's not DIY when you buy it completely assembled with a 2 year warranty."
"Pair it with an amp like the Nord NC-500 based unit, and you will have a complete system for for under $4000 that will kill a $18000 Devialet 400."

=37% Blizz

All of that and still wasn't enough to talk sense into him. Oh well I'm sure he will be thrilled with the Teac as long as he doesn't compare it with any of the other suggestions he was offered.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

It should arrive Friday or thereabouts...

TBone

Major Contributor
"All of that and still wasn't enough to talk sense into him."

Oh, but not just him, 38% chance and rising, you'll attempt to "educate" everyone here.

Remind me, what happened to Blizzard's Corner again?

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Oh well I'm sure he will be thrilled with the Teac as long as he doesn't compare it with any of the other suggestions he was offered.
Here's you chance to present adult style blind test data where you differentiated, much less preferred, another DAC over the Teac.
Data?

Mivera

Major Contributor
"All of that and still wasn't enough to talk sense into him."

Oh, but not just him, 38% chance and rising, you'll attempt to "educate" everyone here.

Remind me, what happened to Blizzard's Corner again?

Yeah I met lots of intelligent friends from Blizzard's corner. It was a good run until the forum went down hill. But looks like Amir has been reviving it some what. However after reading how lost some are over there, they sure could use some guidance.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor

That's the old model that doesn't even have the same DAC chip. But don't concern yourself with those petty details. Just skim through the positive high lights.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
First, this is a very nice looking unit! Second, the measurements look good (although I could not tell what input levels were used). Love to see you do a quick blind test of the filter settings, especially the "OFF" mode for the interpolation filter to see if it makes an audible difference. He says that switching of that is instantaneous.

Top Bottom