• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tascam DR-05X

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I decided (for now) not to buy a dedicated DAP; rather bought a Tascam DR-05X recorder to use as a DAP. Lightweight and just the right size for my hand, it seems to do the job fairly well. I paired it with Audeze Sine headphones and haven't noticed any problems. Sound is quite good, and the street price on this unit is only $90.00. It doesn't do DSD, which I didn't want anyway. Seems like good value for the money. No internal memory, plays microSD cards up to 128 GB. Only thing so far that I have not liked is the folder system only allows two levels of folders, so a bit difficult to organize music in detail; but this is not a deal killer and I have found ways around it. The screen is decent but not as beautiful as some of those high end DAPs. So it seems to be working fine as a DAP and yet it can record also, and has built in microphones. Curious if anyone else is using this approach of using a recorder, rather than a dedicated DAP, and looking for opinions on the DR-05X and other portable stereo recorders (I may want to upgrade).

Top Bottom