• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TAS published my letter

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Harley's response is typical. It sounds like it is full of really believable engineering stuff but it is actually mostly baloney. I am sure the average TAS reader now thinks he is a genius and I am a fool.

I sent a response. Probably won't publish a lengthy exchange.

First, thanks for publishing my letter. Second I think your response was a show for the non engineering readership. I am sure they all thought you were wonderful and I was shown a fool. You surely know that the count density of particles on magnetic tape does not show its resolution. Recording, playing back and measuring the played back signal shows the resolution and it is inferior to 16/44 PCM in both distortion and noise performance. Resolution is simply the ability to reproduce a recorded event. Ability to discriminate between musical events in amplitude and time shows up in the distortion measurements. It can be demonstrated (and has been) that lowering the number of bits in a digital system does not change the accuracy of the reproduced signal, it changes the noise floor. Since the tape has a hugely higher noise floor than 16/44 PCM, recording both mag tape and digital tape at low levels will not sound better on the analog tape, the analog tape will be much noisier and low level signals will disappear into the noise floor while still audible in the digital system. Analog recording is not continuous virtually or any other way. The discontinuity is simply different in nature than it is in the digital domain.

5 microsecond “time smear”? Please show me the experiment that shows that the human ear can discriminate between two sounds that are 5 microseconds apart.

What we have here is an attempt to explain a subjective opinion in engineering language. The engineering explanations are simply wrong.

Attachments

• TAS Letter.png
    TAS Letter.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 256

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good letters!

Glad you got at least one in.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If anything analog has infinite resolution, I should be able to get a $50 telescope, point it at the sky and keep enlarging the picture until I see remote galaxies like the Hubble telescope does! Clearly this doesn't work due to lack of resolution in this analog device.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could write more letters than Saint Paul it won't make any difference. They will keep on dying on that hill.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

And since he has control of the media you have no chance. Just another crock of made up "facts" by another science pretender/denier. The usual nonsense from The Absolute Stupidity.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I noticed he redefined resolution from what you mentioned to what he wanted to discuss. Then he botched the use of digital entirely. He trotted out the stair step issue and how tape doesn't have that. The stair step digital "loss of information" has been proven wrong years ago and does not exist. This theory then leads one to believe that you are losing lots of your music, so therefor the music is crappy compared to smooth analog.. He also implied the DAC guesses on how to remake the analog signal and lots of times it does it incorrectly, which again will make the sound worse than analog. I could go on but why bother. If the person your talking to doesn't know how the item works that your talking about (as Amir also pointed out) you can't have a sensible discussion. You get bogged down into fake and voodoo science with no way out. But it was nice that your letter got printed!

Top Bottom