• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tariffs on Chinese Electronics

digicidal

Major Contributor
Bland assertion. We were asked to avoid economics debate.
Economics != Politics (although in this case I believe they are one in the same).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I'm starting to think this is a doomed topic. Tariffs on Chinese electronics will increase prices. It's not just electronics, but just about everything imported from China and have the potential to drag on the economy. Either you agree with the reasons behind the tariffs or you don't. That is both political and economic. Economics has political overtones as there are supply school and demand driven economic theories with the former being attractive to the right and the latter to the left.

A photograph of President Regan and other prominent members of his administration displayed with the above caption and context is partisan politics, and don't try to BS me into thinking otherwise. Some people are delusional enough to believe they are making an absolute moral statement when they are making a political statement.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think things depend upon value and availability. I prefer to buy locally, if possible. I think most people do. But some things you will never find, locally. Example that I might have mentioned before: my AT M40x headphone (used with a Fender practice amp--not an audiophile device) headband started flaking. You know, black flakes from cheapo vinyl started covering my head. Where do you go for a replacement headband? Beats me. Seller on eeebay had AT M40x headband covers for a couple of dollars. I couldn't believe it. I think with shipping it was less than four dollars. I mean, they could have doubled the tariff on this thing, and I would have paid it.

I just checked and the price is up to ten dollars. I don't know if that is tariff related, or if the maker realized that everyone with an AT headphone now has (or is soon going to have) black flakes in their hair, so the seller figures he's bound to make a killing, price be damned.

Tip: you could easily make something like this yourself with some foam, fabric and velcro. So that is an option.

Sorry--didn't see topic closed. But it worth reactivating as a public service to keep people from having black flakes in their hair. Especially if they don't have any hair on their head. :facepalm:

bigguyca

@suttondesign, considering you're in Texas, how about starting a Mexican subsidiary that imports from China, then reships duty-free to the US? Heck, that's probably more profitable than actually dealing the gear!

The Mexican content would need to be something like 30% and requires certification.

bigguyca

I strongly suggest that we not go too far down the political road on this topic. In other fora, I note that people start to bail when the current political situation becomes the topic. I was merely trying to inform forum members that the tariffs are very real.

Was your idea that the people here were too ignorant (or dumb) to understand that the tariffs are real? Thanks for that vote of confidence.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Tariffs list (may not be latest and greatest, but mildly interesting)

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/enforcement/301Investigations/Tariff List (83 FR 47974, as amended and modified by 83 FR 49153).pdf

Like:

1104.22.00 Grains of oats, hulled, pearled, clipped, sliced, kibbled or otherwise worked, but not rolled or flaked

Who makes the rules. What's special about rolled or flaked oats that hulled, pearled, clipped, sliced, kibbled or otherwise worked don't qualify, that creates the exemption?

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Was your idea that the people here were too ignorant (or dumb) to understand that the tariffs are real? Thanks for that vote of confidence.

That's a bit offside @bigguyca. I, for one, found the post by @suttondesign useful because there can be differences between political rhetoric, executive action, and administrative enforcement.

This isn't just about China, it's about anything that falls under the new tariff (including caps, resistors, wire, ICs etc) -- even those that make their way into US components. Knowing when such tariffs begin might be useful to anyone trying to get ahead of a price hike.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Except negative interest rates probably... always easier to get what you want when it's the most ridiculously stupid things - not nearly as easy to get something that actually benefits anyone.

It's literally a meme that has been around for years... but to make your "safe space" a little happier - I found a bipartisan one just for you. Not that it matters, but I'm a conservative - which is exactly why what is being done to the economy (through tariffs, deficit spending, and the proposal of negative interest rates) is so upsetting.

I'm glad we've got you to keep speech free and rational, Ron. :facepalm:

Let's remember that deficit spending at one time was referred to as maintaining a "war time economy". As in WWI, WWII, the Civil War, etc. ... .

digicidal

Major Contributor
Let's remember that deficit spending at one time was referred to as maintaining a "war time economy". As in WWI, WWII, the Civil War, etc. ... .

And it could certainly be argued that we've been at war in one form or another since then. It's particularly distressing in light of what appears to be an approaching global recession. Say what you will about the ultimate end of tariffs, and without debating their validity (or lack thereof) in achieving those ends - the last huge spike in deficit spending was incurred in attempt to reverse the last one... from which we're barely recovering.

All I know is that paying 10-20% more for consumer electronics looks like the least of our worries in the next several years. Europe and Asia have similarly cheery outlooks last time I checked as well.

55331-home-cover.png

Source CBO - Take that prognostication for what it's worth, which is possibly less reliable than a Shakti Stone.

Last edited:

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
....Source CBO - Take that prognostication for what it's worth, which is possibly less reliable than a Shakti Stone.

"... Placement on automotive CPUs has measurably increased engine horsepower. ..."

Wish I would have known than when I hopped up my V-twin. A lot cheaper than the new cams too !!!

digicidal

Major Contributor
"... Placement on automotive CPUs has measurably increased engine horsepower. ..."
Wish I would have known than when I hopped up my V-twin. A lot cheaper than the new cams too !!!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that placing them over your crotch will either prevent or cause pregnancy depending on what you desire. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom