• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Westminster Royal

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But [Fyne] are more expensive than the real thing and they don't have the piece of recipe that means most and COSTS most. Alnico.

I have nothing to say about Fyne as I’ve not heard them and my last communication with Dr. Mills was when he was still at Tannoy, along with other Tannoy engineering staff that split off to form Fyne after MUSIC Group bought Tannoy’s parent company. However, not using obsolete magnets that wilt under modern power is a virtue, not a vice.

I’ve been a “fan” of Tannoy for a while. Their D700 (10” Dual Concentric + 10” woofer) opened my mind to audio as a hobby and is a speaker I’d love to hear again to see if it lives up to my memory of it. In law school my condo was outfitted all Tannoy speakers: 12 DMT II LCR with with 8 NFM II rears in the living room; 8 NFM II LCR with white Arena eggs for surrounds on the pretty Tulip-base stands for desktop/nearfield listening; i8AW on the balcony. (And yet I still got dates, lol, though my now-wife made it clear they weren’t coming to any joint dwelling...) Later I had a chance to review the (excellent) XT8 tower, and basically started that review with a love letter to the Dual Concentric concept. Even today we have 403DCe or 401DCe ceiling speakers installed in a few rooms.

But the Alnico ones, sorry, have always left me cold. They sound like they measure - terrible to start, worse as they age and lose drive because the obsolete magnets can’t take power.

But back to real speakers - I see Tannoy has a new CI line with blue cone Dual Concentrics that revert back to Mark Dodd’s dual magnet Tulip phase plug design. Several models look great for immersive height channels. Yet they’ve not marketed them at all that I’ve seen. Do you have any insight into those?

Tube Guy

Everyone's got their favs. The thing about "getting" Tannoy is to live with them. I bought an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio in 2018 based on the recommendation of someone I respect. I'd never driven one beyond a worthless 10-minute test drive. I love that car today more than ever. There is something that is an emotional hook to it. Same with Tannoy. Hence it being a reference for people like Nelson Pass, EveAnna Manley and VPI's Founders and Pres Harry and Mat Weisfeld. Etc etc.

Truth be told I'm a junky and love vintage stuff and collect it all. I could have a Sansui 1000A tube receiver and old Mission 781s and be happy the rest of my days. I'd be happier with PrimaLuna/Tannoys if they were in my budget. The good news is there are so many options. As we say at Upscale "There's a wrench for every nut"

The Stirling III LZ is a new model. They will be available this fall. I have a pair here as they wanted to make sure this speaker is perfect. OMG is it! It is in essence the driver from a Kensington with Pepperpot waveguide and Alnico in a smaller package. And they come with a beautiful cream color lambswool blend grill. The retail is set at $12,500/pr.

Tech Radar reports on Tannoy at Munich 2023

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But the Alnico ones, sorry, have always left me cold. They sound like they measure - terrible to start, worse as they age and lose drive because the obsolete magnets can’t take power.
Good article about alnico magnet issues here (including “pulse loss” from high power abuse) Interestingly though, they say that as Tannoy uses a tall alnico slug with a short coil, pulse loss isn’t generally an issue unless they were badly abused.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Wilson is also using Alnico in their drivers
Screenshot_20230728_233858_Facebook.jpg

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stirling III LZ...new model. ...Pepperpot waveguide and Alnico...

So unfortunate that firm that was once a juggernaut and actual industry leader in loudspeaker design and engineering has been cut down to such a sad husk, reduced to rehashing long-ago obsoleted designs that were thoroughly outclassed by their own later work, rather than competing with modern loudspeaker companies on equal terms. At least JBL, Wharfdale, and of late to an extent Klipsch incorporate modern components and engineering practices into their retro styled speakers.

Good article about alnico magnet issues here (including “pulse loss” from high power abuse) Interestingly though, they say that as Tannoy uses a tall alnico slug with a short coil, pulse loss isn’t generally an issue unless they were badly abused.

Don't forget #4 on that list - anyone ever seen a shipper drop a speaker?

And #5 - don't doubt there are plenty of audiophools who can't abide bug screens or other such rational things...

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So unfortunate that firm that was once a juggernaut and actual industry leader in loudspeaker design and engineering has been cut down to such a sad husk, reduced to rehashing long-ago obsoleted designs that were thoroughly outclassed by their own later work, rather than competing with modern loudspeaker companies on equal terms.

Man, sounds like you REALLY hate Tannoy. The Autograph Mini is a relatively “new” design and seems to be a reasonable design with “British voicing”
1690591895181.png

I know what I heard when the Westminster Royal’s. I actually came to pick up an Andrew Jones era Pioneer something at the retailer, so I wasn’t in the market and I had Polk LSi 9’s which are a pretty respectable speaker as my reference at the time

It was just silly big, and the seller knew I was nowhere in the market for them but he know I liked classical music and I was very impressed even though I expected it to be boomy. I do credit that experience with me wanting to pick up a Tannoy of that caliber when I have the room to support it.

Maybe the FR irregularities disappear in room? I would certainly like to see more in room measurements of these Tannoy’s. My comments in the Dynaudio thread apply:

Post in thread 'Dynaudio Special Forty - Review & Measurements by Erin'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-measurements-by-erin.46640/post-1670534

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, sounds like you REALLY hate Tannoy.

Seriously? Go back and read the thread because it's clear you haven't read much of what I have written beyond that last post, which was really more about being annoyed at obsolete and outclassed technology being recycled by cynical marketers as fancy elite luxury shit than anything else. Sell the weakness, I guess.

But am I disappointed at Tannoy's current direction? Sure. I would love to see a couple lines of thoughtfully engineered Dual Concentric based home audio speakers from Tannoy. Also, I'm curious about their new CI line. Some of them look like they were designed with immersive in mind, with angled baffles holding the Dual Concentric driver instead of dumbly firing everything straight down. I have no idea if the execution matches the insight, though.

The Autograph Mini is a relatively “new” design and seems to be a reasonable design with “British voicing”

Autograph Mini is fine for what it is: It's a small speaker designed above all to be pretty. A desktop system with McIntosh MHA150 integrated driving Tannoy Autograph Minis would be hard to beat for desktop audio style points. But yes it is more "voiced" than their better-sounding contemporary Revolution DC4 that used IIRC the same Dual Concentric driver. (The Arena eggs may have used the same motor/cone/coil as well, and the tweeter had the same p/n. However, the Dual Concentric's midwoofer section as a whole was clearly a different part - the egg's baffle and the drive unit's basket were one casting.)

Also, Autograph Mini a lot older than you're making it out to be. I heard them before the Bush global economic crash, so maybe 2006-2007?

(As an aside, one of my audio projects is to hot-rod a pair of DC4T's - some of the smallest tower speakers I've ever seen - into a hybrid passive/active speaker with better drivers. With a pair of small subs I think they'll be fun in a small room. As it happens the 5" Satori Textreme midwoofer is the same bolt circle as the stock drivers and the flange thickness is the same as the original driver + trim ring, so that was a no-brainer. I also sourced a set of the Revolution XT Mini's Omnimagnet drivers from Speaker Exchange. I think at that size Omnimagnet is better than Tulip - more even and wider treble dispersion due the shallower waveguide.)

Maybe the FR irregularities disappear in room? I would certainly like to see more in room measurements of these Tannoy’s. My comments in the Dynaudio thread apply:

Haven't you learned by now that PIR and "in-room response" are way overrated as indicators of sound quality? If the direct sound is colored a certain way in the statistical region, the perceived timbre will take on that coloration. You can easily hear this by seeking out a speaker with a near-perfect PIR but a large dispersion disruption at the crossover, such as SVS Ultra. The pretty PIR does not save them!

FWIW, @Dennis Murphy measured Westminster Royals a while ago. I don't know if there have been changes to the speaker since then.

I'm sure the Westminsters were big and imposing and impressive and whatever. I remember having a similar experience with one big, imposing, and impressive speaker (and the most expensive speaker I had heard to date by some margin) as a kid, EggelstonWorks Andra. (Tannoy Westminster is probably a better speaker than that one.) As it happens, a second audition which had contemporary Tannoys (D500 or D700, I don't remember except that they was much smaller than the Andra and also well above my budget at the time) in the same room exposed the Andras as an empty suit.

If you want to pick up a Tannoy to play with, I would suggest looking for one of the 10" or 12" Dual Concentric models. None of the 15s, even the massive 15 DMT II midfield monitor, ever did anything for me. I'm sure this next statement will read as heresy in some circles, but the poly cones ones are IMO also better than the paper cone ones. If you want wider dispersion the 8" Omnimagnet driver is probably the one to try. IIRC they never did an Omnimagnet model bigger than 8". The big disadvantage with Tulip Dual Concentrics is ferrofluid cooled tweeters. It's invariably dried up by now so that's a project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom