• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Stirling GR measurement from audiophile.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The frequency response is uneven and directivity is not very well controlled. Objectively, the measurements are poor.

Here it is compared to a well designed speaker:
(Sources: Tannoy left, Genelec G Three right)
922TanStirlfig4.jpg 722GenG3fig2.jpg
922TanStirlfig5.jpg 722GenG3fig3.jpg
Smooth, without strong peaks and dips is good.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The Tannoy is very much a “vintage” coax speaker. Very beautiful cabinet, but the tulip waveguide and passive design limit its performance.

A more modern engineering approach of the same dual concentric concept: https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Prod-Spec-RM22-v5.pdf

Ugly, but it should be miles ahead in all metrics.

*If you have the cash, they do allow for individual customization (e.g. finish for the cabinet and horn wave guide).

Frgirard

Major Contributor
comparing vintage with modern and coming to say it's bad makes no sense. a loudspeaker is an object on which we transfer a lot of our personality.
Let's measure this personality.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
comparing vintage with modern and coming to say it's bad makes no sense. a loudspeaker is an object on which we transfer a lot of our personality.
Let's measure this personality.

Hmmmn… I did not say the Tannoy is “bad”, rather that it lags quite behind in most performance parameters. Subjectively, it may rank very high for someone else which is perfectly fine as well.

Recluse-Animator

The Tannoy is very much a “vintage” coax speaker. Very beautiful cabinet, but the tulip waveguide and passive design limit its performance.

A more modern engineering approach of the same dual concentric concept: https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Prod-Spec-RM22-v5.pdf

Ugly, but it should be miles ahead in all metrics.

*If you have the cash, they do allow for individual customization (e.g. finish for the cabinet and horn wave guide).
Or in a smaller size Presonus Sceptre S8 and S6:

presonus-sceptre-s8-174045.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Or in a smaller size Presonus Sceptre S8 and S6:

presonus-sceptre-s8-174045.png

The S8 or S6 is really not comparable here since it's limited by other things like maximum SPL, size and build quality. I picked out the RM22 as a horn-loaded, dual concentric coax example mainly for their similarity in price, size, and overall "build quality".

I think more sensible would be to compare the S8 or S6 to the smaller Tannoy "Gold" series.

Recluse-Animator

The S8 or S6 is really not comparable here since it's limited by other things like maximum SPL, size and build quality. I picked out the RM22 as a horn-loaded, dual concentric coax example mainly for their similarity in price, size, and overall "build quality".

I think more sensible would be to compare the S8 or S6 to the smaller Tannoy "Gold" series.
A S8 or S6 with a sub would be a much better combination than the Tannoy, but I get you.
I don't think Tannoy has anything that measures as good as the S8 regardless of price.
The only reason I mentioned them was because they're from the same manufacturer.

Have you seen the Tannoy and Fulcrum gutted or on what do you base that they have similar build quality? Or are talking about the drivers?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Have you seen the Tannoy and Fulcrum gutted or on what do you base that they have similar build quality? Or are talking about the drivers?

Not personally. I have only seen pictures and videos of these various larger Tannoy and Fulcrum builds' "guts" in the process of being assembled. The Tannoy seems to be more elaborately constructed (in part for aesthetic reasons), while the Fulcrum boxes are obviously more utilitarian.

I also haven't seen the inside of the Gold series, though both it and the Sceptre are housed in MDF boxes and are mass produced in China. I suspect the Sceptre to have the better build quality:

COAX 1.png COAX 2.png COAX 3.png COAX 4.png COAX 5.jpg COAX 6.JPG COAX 7.JPG COAX 8.JPG COAX 9.JPG COAX 10.JPG COAX 11.JPG COAX 12.JPG

*Anyway, you should take what I say with a grain of salt considering I own the same illustrated S8 speaker.

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
The frequency response is uneven and directivity is not very well controlled. Objectively, the measurements are poor.

Here it is compared to a well designed speaker:
(Tannoy left, Genelec G Three right)
View attachment 234743 View attachment 234744
View attachment 234745 View attachment 234746
Smooth, without strong peaks and dips is good.

When you post Stereophile's content I appreciate you including links to the original website page. The original poster did so for the Tannoy measurements, for which I thank him.. For the Genelec it's https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker-measurements

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps this can help, even though am not discussing the same speaker.

Here are in room measurements of Tannoy XT6Fs and Revel M16s. I was astonished when the Revels I got for a secondary system just BLEW AWAY my Tannoys despite not going down as deep. It was a night and day difference. Back then everyone was raving about Tannoy (this has slowed down a lot--which I guess is because there are more measurements out now). I was fooled not just by the usual con artist salesmen but also reviewers I had respected back then.

Again, they are not the same speakers, but there is clearly a similar FR pattern that is recognizable in the Stereophile measurements. Blue, obviously, is Revel.

mmm.jpg

Once you hear real speakers those irregularities are impossible to ignore. We are seeing 10dB dips in-room in the most audible frequencies. More, it is clear here and in Amir's measurements that that coaxial driver SUCKS. Here it breaks apart past 10. It just falls apart. These Tannoys certainly were brighter than the Revels, that much is obvious in the measurements, but the worst part about them is that that rollercoaster above 1k sounds sort of like the break-up above 10k. By this I mean that after I finally heard quality speakers the Tannoys sounded like I had a large glass table in front of my listening position, with sound not reaching me in a natural manner. In 2022 they don't cut it. They never kept up with R&D and are relying on antiquated technology that was decent 40 years ago to sell a heritage style. As noted, there has been so much improvement in coaxial tech. None are better than KEF. But this is embarrassing. I expect this from Klipsch at their worst.

And so--as a former Tannoy owner--I really do think that that company SUCKS. That speaker is lovely looking, but you WILL NEVER keep it for long if you take a chance on it.

Last edited:

behappybevegan

Years ago I was at an acquaintance of my brother's and he had Tannoy's coax speakers. Big 15" ones.
Played some Boney M and some blues. Fantastic. Amazing.

The measurements surprise me. I remember clean bass, not the deepest. Sharp highs. Graphs show me otherwise.

Loved the Tannoy's so much so I'm thinking of building a big coax myself.

Top Bottom