• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Gold 8 vs KRK Rokit RP8 G4. What to choose for my usage?

Marshy

Hey!

So i need your help which ones to choose :)

Tannoy Gold 8 or KRK Rokit RP8 G4?

My usage is mainly listening to music from Spotify, sometimes watching tv-shows and playing games(CoD Warzone).

Cheers!

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Is there any way you can try them out?
I know the KRKs and don't like them, way too bassy and impercise, I don't know the Tannoy.
Coaxials do of course have the advantage of being a point source, wich is good in the near field. They do however lack bass extension compared to typical regular drivers of the same size. And the Tannoys Amir reviewed didn't do very good, that may or may not say something about the Gold.

I'd suggest you take a look at maybe the Focal Alpha 65 (I think they're really damn good for the money), Adam T7V, Mackie MR824 and JBL 805P etc.
Or, if you in fact have little space, get some smaller monitors and a sub.

OP
M

Marshy

Is there any way you can try them out?
I know the KRKs and don't like them, way too bassy and impercise, I don't know the Tannoy.
Coaxials do of course have the advantage of being a point source, wich is good in the near field. They do however lack bass extension compared to typical regular drivers of the same size. And the Tannoys Amir reviewed didn't do very good, that may or may not say something about the Gold.

I'd suggest you take a look at maybe the Focal Alpha 65 (I think they're really damn good for the money), Adam T7V, Mackie MR824 and JBL 805P etc.
Or, if you in fact have little space, get some smaller monitors and a sub.
Unfortunately not :(. Don't see in stock any of them in my country.

I own Adam T8V currently and they didn't fit me. Yeah, the highs are good, but the mids are somewhere in the back. Also on my ear, I needed more bass. They are good for mixing and gaming stuff, but fur music listening or watching tv shows not so.

KRK's having 135 Watt on woofer, it's kinda much. In total each monitor having 202 W with D apm, while tannoy having 300 W with AB amp which make them clear with great sound.

But here is the thing, KRK's starting from 36 Hz while Tannoy from 40, so in paper things they are ~ the same, but Tannoys seems to sound better.

I like the clear mids as usually listening to some soft rock, Russian Songs where mids and low freq is the main things.

Just ordered Tannoy's. Let's see how it goes!

I do have a lot of space, so yeah :)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I own Adam T8V currently and they didn't fit me. Yeah, the highs are good, but the mids are somewhere in the back. Also on my ear, I needed more bass. They are good for mixing and gaming stuff, but fur music listening or watching tv shows not so.
That honestly sounds like a problem with room acoustics or even cabling (how exactly did you have them connected?). The latest generation ADAMs all seem to have good dispersion, and in case of the T8Vs people have noted cheap build but not bad sound.
I do have a lot of space, so yeah :)
What's your listening distance? If you really have a lot of space (and possibly a lot of reverb, too), something substantially bigger than an inexpensive 8" 2-way may be advisable.

OP
M

Marshy

That honestly sounds like a problem with room acoustics or even cabling (how exactly did you have them connected?). The latest generation ADAMs all seem to have good dispersion, and in case of the T8Vs people have noted cheap build but not bad sound.

What's your listening distance? If you really have a lot of space (and possibly a lot of reverb, too), something substantially bigger than an inexpensive 8" 2-way may be advisable.

0.5m or so. My room is 30 square meters. Adam => XLR => jack => Focusrite solo 3rd gen => USB =<> PC.

They are good, but definitely not for my ear :(

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep your existing monitors, invest in a UMIK-1 measurement mic and learn how to EQ your speakers with REW....

I used this tutorial...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
0.5m or so. My room is 30 square meters. Adam => XLR => jack => Focusrite solo 3rd gen => USB =<> PC.
Half a meter? An 8"? Uh-oh. :eek:

Now I get why you were looking at a coax to replace them. Typical listening distances for 8" class monitors would be 1.5-2.5 m, not generally under 1 m. Note how e.g. Genelec do not recommend their 6.5" and 8" 2-way models for less than about 0.75 m. You're probably too close for the drivers to add up correctly.

What you would need, if you're not going coax altogether, is a 5" with oomph. Think Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8030C.
Considering that the Tannoys are substantially more affordable than either, they should be well worth a shot first. Thread with measurements and discussion.

Last edited:
OP
M

Marshy

Half a meter? An 8"? Uh-oh. :eek:

Now I get why you were looking at a coax to replace them. Typical listening distances for 8" class monitors would be 1.5-2.5 m, not generally under 1 m. Note how e.g. Genelec do not recommend their 6.5" and 8" 2-way models for less than about 0.75 m. You're probably too close for the drivers to add up correctly.

What you would need, if you're not going coax altogether, is a 5" with oomph. Think Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8030C.
Considering that the Tannoys are substantially more affordable than either, they should be well worth a shot first. Thread with measurements and discussion.
Thanks! I already ordered a pair of those. Well i can make ~ 1m from each monitor may be, need to check. I couldn't do that with adam because the bass reflex was in the back.

Top Bottom