• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Gold 8 REW Measurements

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Update: replaced them with the Neumann KH 120 and JBL LSR310.

The Tannoy Gold 8 sounded a little, for lack of a better word, honky. It feels like I can hear resonance from the deep tweeter cone. Perhaps the cone is simply too long and acts as a horn. They might sound better in another room. I couldn't pinpoint the resonance on my measurements though.

Very interesting observation... From my understanding the Tannoy’s horn didn’t really have anything new... The Sceptre’s — which I still have, and really like — doesn’t have that old horn sound people sometimes refer too. They do have a particular voicing which I think may have been intentional for their intended purpose — luckily, this can be EQ’d away if one wishes regular flat dome tweeter-like sounding speakers. Sophisticated DSP with specialized FIR filters is used to eliminate transient smearing caused by time differences and reflections inevitable in such a horn design. See:

edit: found the video I was looking for:

The Presonus Sceptre unlike Fulcrum’s higher-end models uses cheaper drivers, of course — so less SPL and higher distortion — but it does achieve the same goal... which is no transient smearing using a very effective coaxial design with good directivity control.

As I have the KH120s I can tell you that they definitely sound cleaner and clearer, but the Sceptre S8’s stereo imaging and sweet spot also sound much larger. Maybe too big sometimes... for an extreme near-field setup.

Last edited:

Moulshake

I ordered a pair of tannoy gold 8 coupled with a Yamaha wxc-50 using the pre amp output. this system is for listen music in my living room. They are beautiful in photo or video. looking forward to having them in real life. I think it will big sound !

Moulshake

New hifi system
IMG_20201107_143029_compress50.jpg

D

Deleted member 12642

Nothing like a bit of toe-in! Sorry, they must sound horrible like that. Stereo reproduction on loudspeakers needs around 8ft separation. I guess you could always strap them on your head like this guy:

View attachment 73765

;)

I know this is an old thread but that's actually a friend of mine who goes by the name Drew, counter strike handle is mopheadfrancis lol.

OP
Χ

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Why? What was negative? They look beautiful and measurements are very good.
The sound was fine. It was the audible hiss that I couldn't stand. I could even hear the hiss from another room if the doors were open. Since then I have had three pairs of Neumann and one pair of Genelec, and their hiss levels are inaudible from 20cm away.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since then I have had three pairs of Neumann and one pair of Genelec, and their hiss levels are inaudible from 20cm away.
Which models and could you write few words of which you preferred and why?

Razorhelm

I realise you have sold them now but do you have any distortion data in those rew files?

I also think they look fantastic! Sorely tempted to get some!

OP
Χ

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I realise you have sold them now but do you have any distortion data in those rew files?

I also think they look fantastic! Sorely tempted to get some!
Not sure how I should present the distortion data, but here you go. I dug up two close-up measurements from the past for the left and right speakers. Please note that these measurements were taken in two different days. The SPL levels and mic distances were different.

L 0deg 5cm SPL.png
R Close Up SPL.png
L 0deg 5cm %.png
R Close Up %.png

Last edited:

Razorhelm

That's great thanks!

I definitely see a pair of these in my future!

Top Bottom