• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Talk me out of buying an "audiophile" preamp - confirm/deny some myths/assumptions

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
"Bit-perfect" mattered in the days of 16-bit audio, where a simple digital attenuation by a few dB could mean you'd screw up the dithering in source material (if any), and resamplers were often dubious. That was over 15 years ago now. Since then, 32-bit float processing has become standard (including for digital volume control), and DACs are 24 or 32 bit with a dynamic range noticeably exceeding 16-bit capabilities more often than not.

Digital processing has a number of useful applications. Aside from EQ (note: I hope the Foobar2000 stock graphic EQ doesn't still generate steps in the frequency response, those were very much audible and not in a good way, I switched to foo_dsp_xgeq instead), it can be used to provide crossfeed for headphones (and not just that, look up HRTF processing / headtracking systems like the Smyth Realiser), and one of my favorite applications would have to be playback volume normalization systems like ReplayGain, which allows me to keep a level playing field (pardon the pun) between everything from early CD releases to modern-day severe loudness war victims. Its colleagues are working quietly in the background on many streaming services these days.

bennetng

Major Contributor
"Bit-perfect" mattered in the days of 16-bit audio, where a simple digital attenuation by a few dB could mean you'd screw up the dithering in source material (if any), and resamplers were often dubious. That was over 15 years ago now. Since then, 32-bit float processing has become standard (including for digital volume control), and DACs are 24 or 32 bit with a dynamic range noticeably exceeding 16-bit capabilities more often than not.
Like what you said, I've been assuming everything running in a PC within the past two decades are at least 32-bit float, but I was wrong.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=101850.0

Read until the end and it means it can't handle the files from some field recorders equipped with the most advanced technology in 2020;)

Luckily, SoX is open source, different software (e.g. foobar SoX plugin, Audacity resampler) can have different implementation including real floating point support.

resamplers were often dubious.
I recalled someone made a MOD player utilizing Creative/EMU's 8-point interpolation, in the form of a bootable floppy image. I don't know what OS that MOD player uses, perhaps a crazy programmer with ridiculous skill coding in assembly. So the MOD files sounded much cleaner, comparable to playing MIDI files with SoundFonts.

yyzsb

Do a 30 day home trial with the LA4 and see if that second XLR output is still important after hearing the LA4. I have the HPA4 and it is a brilliant piece. In fact, after buying and selling a Byrston BHA-1 and researching other headphone amps I decide I wouldn't be happy with anything other than a second HPA4.

I use my HPA4 in my office system for both headphone and 2 channel. The second HPA4 will be in a bedroom.

BTW - I also used to own the Bryston BP20 (maybe 5 years) with MPS-2 power supply. The Bryston does not come anywhere close to the quality of the Benchmark.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Luckily, SoX is open source, different software (e.g. foobar SoX plugin, Audacity resampler) can have different implementation including real floating point support.
If memory serves, Audacity will import float32 just fine, so you can make sure that files are non-pathological. Realistically, int32 is perfectly adequate quality wise.

I'd have to look up what exactly Rockbox is doing again. It's inevitably int but still has decoding headroom beyond 0 dBFS, at least the MP3 decoder does - it was able to play back a pathological test file with ReplayGain information just fine, the Clip+ stock firmware was distorted. I think their 0 dBFS level is at 24 bits out of a 32 bit sample so there's 8 bits worth of headroom, but it's been ages so don't quote me on that.
I recalled someone made a MOD player utilizing Creative/EMU's 8-point interpolation, in the form of a bootable floppy image. I don't know what OS that MOD player uses, perhaps a crazy programmer with ridiculous skill coding in assembly. So the MOD files sounded much cleaner, comparable to playing MIDI files with SoundFonts.
8-point? Luxury. Trusty old MOD4WIN had linear, square and cubic spline interpolation to offer back in the day. At some point I upgraded to, what was it, Modplug Player perhaps?, that had something fancier to offer if memory serves.

As much flak as the EMU10K resampler got back in the day (0 dBFS issues not being helpful), for MOD file playback it would have been brilliant I imagine. I mean, it was probably designed for wavetable synths originally, which is pretty much the same exact application.

And yes, I'd expect some assembly wizardry as well. Typical demoscene stuff.

ethanhallbeyer

I second this. If you insist you must have an analog preamp (I just sold mine and am not looking back), get the Schiit Freya S (solid state) or + (tube and solid state) for $599 or $899 and put the rest towards something else. The Schiit's both offer a passive mode with a ladder resistor volume control for the best balancing and least distortion. If you want the audio jewelry, buy the Bryston as it has a 20 year warranty and excellent construction, but keep in mind, the Bryston, just like the Schiit is designed to be a straight wire with gain.

If you really just want a euphonic preamp, go buy an older Conrad Johnson.

just curious, since you sold your analog preamp what are you using now? going straight from dac to amp?

Top Bottom