• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination (Alan Parsons) - best CD?

concorde1

For Tales Of Mystery And Imagination (TOMAI) I have the original release CD and the MFSL Gold CD, both of which I think sound pretty bad.

I'm curious about the deluxe versions (2007, 2012, 2017) of TOMAI, because the Deluxe Anniversary version of A Turn Of A Friendly Card is on the way to me which according to the preview mp3 sounded pretty good.

I'm hoping TOMAI is not doomed to have no good sounding releases! Does anyone here have input on what CD of TOMAI to get?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I only have the MFSL Gold CD, and I don't think it sounds bad. I used to have it way back when on LP. I suppose I take it that it sounds like it sounds and it is enjoyable without regard to it being the finest sounding CD ever.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I only have the MFSL Gold CD, and I don't think it sounds bad.
I'll give it another go. It's certainly better than original CD which I think is jarring (it is one of the exceptions: a lot of original CD's of Parsons are excellent).
You might want to try the Steve Hoffman forums.
Well, yeah, but I wanted to try here. I have left my account there, although I do still use that forum often as a reference for CD info. I don't like some of the points of view there - I filter through the recommendations there.

levimax

Major Contributor
Since I grew up listening to Alan Parsons I find the original vinyl the most familiar mastering and I usually prefer it to the later digital versions. There are needle drops floating around the internet you might want to give a try. The vinyl versions have their issues of course but "jarring" would not be one of them.

raindance

Major Contributor
So I did some research and the Deluxe Edition seems to be what is recommended. It includes the original mix as used on the MFSL Gold CD as well as the 1987 Remix. It's a little pricey on Amazon at $29.99. It's interesting because I always wondered what was different between the CD I have from 1987 and the record from 1976, which I preferred.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Does someone know how the 1987 remix version differs from the original 1976 version?

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Just listened to it: I quite liked it, and yes, you can tell it's eighties by the gated drums, but I have no concerns re that. Still a great album!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just listened to it: I quite liked it, and yes, you can tell it's eighties by the gated drums, but I have no concerns re that. Still a great album!
The gated drums always brought to mind the swinging pendulum from Poe. Those drums were definitely an artistic choice and intentional.

Top Bottom