• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Takstar Pro 82 Review (Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This looks suspiciously like ATH-M50s but with different pads. Even the drivers look similar. Frequency response as well.

EDIT: Frequency response is largely the same as well. I wonder if this is basically a "backdoored" M50? View attachment 140533
index.php

The Takstar drivers (both models, there are 2 different Pro82's) are 30mW rated (I blew one up), the AT drivers are 1.6W and look very, very different.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Takstar drivers (both models, there are 2 different Pro82's) are 30mW rated (I blew one up), the AT drivers are 1.6W and look very, very different.
mm, fair enough. The cups and FR, though? Damn.

markanini

Major Contributor
There's still a 5db difference at 4k so I would expect them to sound fairly different.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

mslim

Maybe I'm influenced by your review:
I don't know why, these HP have the kind of look you can find in electro-DIY shops (and I'm not sure it's a compliment).

These are quite well built. No creakiness. Definitely very comfortable but a bit hot. I use it in the office with Aircon for webinar etc. I don’t like them for music and I am gonna ignore those reviewers who hyped this HP after this objective measurements LOL. My subjective impression of the sound is mainly bothersome low end distortion. I thought the top end would be more sibilant than measured. Too piercing for me. Mid is honky. I have tried oratory’s EQ and it still sounds odd.

Side-tracking: If you want a cheap warm HP that can EQ well, you should try the ISK HF2010. For 35 bucks I really like these and they’re tunable/modable and EQ’able (I think - I don’t have measurements. )Spatial characteristics are better than this. Wish someone could send Amir a pair for testing (transportation too expensive for me I’ll see what I can do wheI’m free).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Some review has mentioned the pad being glued to the plastic before being screwed on to the cups. I haven’t tried removing mine.

There is no glue involved.
The pads are mounted on a plastic ring. The ring clips onto posts on the baffle.
They are difficult to remove and you hear creaking/cracking sounds when removing them.

img_2340.jpg

comparo-drivers.jpg

(pictures are from the different models that float around, it looks, based on measurements, Amir has the newer driver, shown on the left)
To me these should only be used in 'setting 1'.
Measures and sounds much better in that position.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Given the 'wide' dip between 2kHz and 5kHz it would seem logical for it to be the newer version.
Below in grey the older version and in black the newer version. Note: measurements in position 1 (which is much better) and horizontal line is audible "flat". The 10kHz peak is really there but the GRAS has a deep null there so does not show it.

silv-vs-black-1.png

ATTACH]

Nathan Raymond

I've seen this headphone hyped as a good value set on forums, I've kept wondering if this is really the case. Now I know. Thanks Amir!

The reason why these got hyped is because back in 2017 the user "BenF" at the Head-Fi forums started curating a thread there where he updates the first post with links to his and other people's reviews/comments in the thread that he sees as most relevant. He talks about how the Pro-82 compete well against his electrostatic headphones and Fostex TH-900MK2. When there are AliExpress sales, he shares the best coupons, and helps people avoid the shady AliExpress sellers. Previous to that, back in 2013 he curated a similar thread for the JVC HA-S680, which was his previous darling for a few years.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
I have a Sony headphones with a bass slider as well. I can't tell a difference between the two positions.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Takstar Pro 82 headphone. It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $90 on Amazon but I believe member got a better price.

The Pro 82 looks quite stylish despite its low price:

View attachment 140417

The soft touch material is indeed, quite soft. Maybe too soft. The pads are so soft that slightest touch deforms them. While this is good for initial comfort, not sure how long they will last before becoming totally compressed. There were also some fine scratches on the cups.

An unusual feature of this headphone is a switch on each cup which is supposed to adjust bass. See my measurements later on effectiveness of it.

These headphones are quite light:

View attachment 140418

Cup size is reasonable at 67x46x18 (height, width, depth).

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was easy the first time. On second try it was quite variable in bass due to the ultra soft pads.

Takstar Pro 82 Measurements
Let's start with the effect of the three-way bass switch:
View attachment 140419

As you see, bass is increased but a dip is created around 350 Hz. At first I tried to EQ the lowest setting for bass and while that got me best compliance with the target, I just could not make it sound good. I tried the highest level and that didn't work either. So I settled for the middle setting:

View attachment 140420

View attachment 140538

Bad news here is distortion especially around 5 kHz where we have a dip in the frequency response as well:

View attachment 140422
View attachment 140423

Group delay doesn't show much:

View attachment 140424

Sensitivity is above average:

View attachment 140425

Impedance is quite low:

View attachment 140426

Still, you should be able to play this with many portable devices and get reasonable volume.

Takstar Pro 82 Listening Tests and Equalization
With the switch at its lowest setting tonality was decent. But attempts at equalization just made the mid to high frequencies sound grungy and not desirable. As I noted, I went back to the switch being in the middle. That did better but at the end, I am not really happy with the performance:

View attachment 140427\

There are no spatial qualities and I just didn't enjoy listening to these headphones.

Conclusions
I spent three times more effort on this headphone than any other I test. At the end it left me frustrated. I am usually able to make just about every headphone sound good with EQ. This one is one of the few that defeated me. The common thread appears to be distortion in the 3 to 5 kHz range.

I can't recommend the Takstar Pro 82 for reasons mentioned.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.
Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
  • Not all units of the same products are not made equal. The EQ is based on a single unit measured. YMMV with regards to your very unit f you try this EQ.

OK L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

But I have calculated the score with two Curves:

1. Default Harman Curve
Score no EQ: 52.1
-> Amirm's EQ is about 4dB higher than mine so you need to make sure the preamp gain is set correctly during A/B comparison.
Score Armirm: 72.0
Score with EQ: 82.9

Takstar pro 82 Dashboard Flat@HF.png

2. Default Harman Curve modified with -1.5dB @HF (within the taste range)
This is a trial to avoid boosting the 3-5k Range.
Score no EQ: 61
Score Armirm: 80.1
Score with EQ: 93.0

Code:
takstar pro 82 APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July132021-140826

Preamp: -0.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 42.23 Hz Gain -2.15 dB Q 0.24
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 141.34 Hz Gain -8.47 dB Q 0.75
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 317.18 Hz Gain 4.80 dB Q 1.70
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 872.90 Hz Gain -1.02 dB Q 2.52
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1594.78 Hz Gain -6.77 dB Q 0.86
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6499.47 Hz Gain -1.92 dB Q 4.91
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8605.25 Hz Gain -5.81 dB Q 5.00
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 13432.77 Hz Gain -11.70 dB Q 4.98

Takstar pro 82 Dashboard -1.5dB@HF.png

Attachments

• takstar pro 82 APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    478 bytes · Views: 170
Last edited:

tungt88

They both look like shameless clones of the older Sony MDR-1a/r, which I bought something like 10 years ago.

Those were comfortable too; but the small artificial leather pads got quite hot during extended listening periods.

Forgot where I read this (couple of years back), but my understanding was that Takstar was an OEM for first Beyerdynamic, then Sony: thus, leading to the Takstar Pro 80 (aka much of the HyperX Cloud line) -- DT 7xx-9xx "adaptation", and Takstar Pro 82 (aka Cooler Master MH751/MH752) -- MDR-1a "adaptation".
Certainly, the external looks of the Pro 80 and Pro 82 would seem to indicate this.

Edit: Takstar also has their own gaming version of the Pro 82, called the GM200, but I don't know anything about the sound quality, or if there's any differences between that and the Pro 82 (or, for that matter, the MH751/752). I have heard that it's supposedly "better", but no real idea.

Nathan Raymond

Forgot where I read this (couple of years back), but my understanding was that Takstar was an OEM for first Beyerdynamic, then Sony: thus, leading to the Takstar Pro 80 (aka much of the HyperX Cloud line) -- DT 7xx-9xx "adaptation", and Takstar Pro 82 (aka Cooler Master MH751/MH752) -- MDR-1a "adaptation".
Certainly, the external looks of the Pro 80 and Pro 82 would seem to indicate this.

Edit: Takstar also has their own gaming version of the Pro 82, called the GM200, but I don't know anything about the sound quality, or if there's any differences between that and the Pro 82 (or, for that matter, the MH751/752). I have heard that it's supposedly "better", but no real idea.

I have never heard Takstar is an OEM for Beyerdynamic or Sony, and that would be crazy since both of those companies make their own headphones and drivers. Cooler Master yes, because Cooler Master is a PC peripheral company that probably makes nothing themselves but rather has things built to spec with their name on it. The only thing connecting Takstar to Sony is that Takstar were "inspired" by the Sony MDR-1A physical design. The other thing Takstar did was use Sennheiser's 2.5mm socket wiring for their cup so you can use a TRRS 2.5mm jack to drive the headphones balanced if you want (they do not come with a balanced cable nor does Takstar officially sell one).

ishouldbeking

Just from my memory of older forum discussions, I think the only connection to Beyerdynamic and others is that Takstar's MO is to build these lower priced pseudo-clones of established designs, (e.g., the Pro 80 is clearly meant to evoke Beyer's DT770, from the yoke and headband design to the frequency response, though the cups are oval rather than round). They are clearly the OEM for HyperX and Cooler Master, however, and those companies simply rebrand the Pro 80 and Pro 82 respectively.

bugivugi

The reason why these got hyped is because back in 2017 the user "BenF" at the Head-Fi forums started curating a thread there where he updates the first post with links to his and other people's reviews/comments in the thread that he sees as most relevant. He talks about how the Pro-82 compete well against his electrostatic headphones and Fostex TH-900MK2. When there are AliExpress sales, he shares the best coupons, and helps people avoid the shady AliExpress sellers. Previous to that, back in 2013 he curated a similar thread for the JVC HA-S680, which was his previous darling for a few years.
how do you feel about jvc ha-rx700 / 900, samson sr850? looks like head-fi is this topic artificially promoted too?

Nathan Raymond

how do you feel about jvc ha-rx700 / 900, samson sr850? looks like head-fi is this topic artificially promoted too?
The JVC HA-RX700 / 900 are over 10 years old, and I don't think I've ever seen frequency response or other objective tests of them, and I'm not sure they would hold up that well based on what I do remember about them. The Samson SR850 is ok, it has subdued sub-bass (common for semi-open headphones), elevated treble (which can make long-term listening fatiguing), but otherwise a decent response, and is ok for the money. Decent review here:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/samson/sr850

The SR850 is a close relative of the Superlux HD681, which @solderdude reviewed in-depth here:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd681/

L5730

For what it's worth, I took Oluv's video in which he compared the newer version to the older.
I have the older version, so used sections of his video that were applicable.

I used Voxengo SPAN with a 5 second averaging window to overlay his "original recording" to the recording made with the v1 Pro82.
I used a favourite VST EQ to match the frequency response spectrums. I reduced the plugin to 75% intensity.
I then ran pink noise through a virtual cable, so I could use EqAPO and match spectrum against the same pink noise + VST EQ. I came up with this:

1675896177236.png

It sounds OK, takes some fizz out of the sound. I guess my ears just let me get used to things quite quickly.
Switching back to a previous EQ preset where I just added a little 4k and knocked down 9-10k, the whole drum kit seems to turn into a wash of cymbals. With this newer EQ, things like the metal strings on acoustic guitars are clearer defined, or easier to here the sound texture ("Sister Morphine" by The Rolling Stones on Sticky Fingers (CBS 450195 2)). I doubt this filter makes these headphones any more 'accurate' but they seem to sound better . . . until the next EQ tweak.

EqAPO filter file:
Code:
# TakstarPro82 v1, bass port closed.  Oluv FR match.
Preamp: -4 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 2.25 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 4200 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 5100 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 7400 Hz Gain -9 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 8700 Hz Gain 9 dB Q 8
Filter: ON PK Fc 10500 Hz Gain -2.25 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 14500 Hz Gain -6.75 dB Q 1.14

L5730

Hmm.. I used the above EQ but without the boosts in the HF - I still kept getting a scratchiness and grittiness I didn't like. More work required.
Last night I popped on Roxy Music's Avalon (2012 boxset). It doesn't take more than a couple of moments to notice something is 'off' with my v1 of these headphones with just mentioned EQ. Everything seemed lumped into an almost mono presentation. Those spacious drum fills were just plain boring and not like how I know this album to sound. Put on the Superlux 668b (with 2-ply tissue paper baffle mod) no EQ (balance shift to compensate driver imbalance) and bam, nice wide spacious sound, drums move across the field, vocals in the middle - it sounds like Avalon.

Very comfy though. It's shame they don't sound better - maybe with more work I can get there.

Top Bottom