• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Taking Advantage of Psychoacoustics

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Should be interesting to see the frequency spectra of those two rattle modes.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
not for me - how are your cookies?
Maybe you have a membership or account already. Either way for me it wants my email and registration. No big deal just wanted to give you heads up.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no I don't

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you have a membership or account already. Either way for me it wants my email and registration. No big deal just wanted to give you heads up.
Worked for me without needing to sign up for anything.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that the plausible explanation to the perceived distance change is due perceived change in loudness. While the measured level is the same between the two different rattle frequencies, the higher frequency rattle cause perceived higher loudness due to temporal integration. However, frequency distribution of a sound also seems to affect perceived vs. actual distance, at least for distances within 2 meter.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00969/full

Last edited:

thorvat

Interesting. Should be interesting to see the frequency spectra of those two rattle modes.

And amplitude. Few dB can make a difference and I find it hard to believe that 40Hz rattles are exactly as loud as those in the 60-100Hz range.

Knowing spectra would also help in estimating localization differences between those 2 rattles which also may affect how we perceive them.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were still teaching about species interactions by exploiting sensory systems, I'd definitely add this to the famed bat-moth co-evolved system.

Now, how can we get rattlesnakes to design speakers?

Top Bottom